Request\Wish list

3D version of Close Combat
ineffable

RE: Request\Wish list

Post by ineffable »

A mockup of tooltips for the Soldier list to access soldier detail in-battle.

Attachments
TurboTooltip.jpg
TurboTooltip.jpg (522.9 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

If clicking on a combat message, select that unit in the Unit list and on the map instead of just attempting to center the camera view on the unit. Centering the camera only is useless too often - there might be several other units in the vicinity or the cam cant center because the unit is on the map edge.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

I'd like to be able to gift gear icons like the grenade launcher or demo charge to an individual soldier in the Soldier details screen. And have them retain that gear (if they survive) for the next battle. And let me make the promotions or choose auto-assign. Put available rank icons at the top of Soldiers and let the player drag'ndrop on a worthy candidate 9or unworthy as events may prove). Binos for scouts and extra ammo for those who are short.

And if we can subdivide units why not recombine them in-battle also. Dont yet see the usefulness of having the sub-unit icons in the Unit list on the battle screen. Rather have the headcount on the Unit icon in that list show 3/6 so we'd know how many casualties they'd taken.

Attachments
soldierupgrades.jpg
soldierupgrades.jpg (110.39 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Quid si
nietsche

Post by nietsche »

I would like to support all the other posts asking for multi storey buildings to work like old CC. Also for troops to find good places to fire from.
Bunkers in Normandy need fixing. Inability to place troops and AT guns in them unless you place them in a spot that cannot fire makes no sense. Placing them in a spot that they can fire from and seeing them out in the open when the game starts is not fun. Guns should keep the last used ammunition and not constantly change it and delaying action.

New things.

Strategic: We need more than the briefing that is very general. Intelligence reports would normally have a good indication of the types of unit available to your opponent and a good idea of overall strength. I suggest that a description of tanks, vehicles, guns and other major equipment be made available before choosing your team. Oddly, we get notification of upcoming barrages and air strikes which are less available to intelligence. At least there should be an indicative map available with main features shown. I also suggest that there be different levels of information based on:
1. Whether you have been there before - that means you would have maps and ground knowledge
2. When you won the last battle/operation you should know more about the terrain and your enemy than if you lost it
3. If you have air superiority you should know more about your opponent
4. If you currently occupy the nearby ground (ie defending) you should know more about your opponent and the terrain

An Intelligence briefing with a mud map should be available before choosing your teams

Game design
This version has enormous potential. What it needs now is to extend the operations so that there is more potential for the back and forward fighting in the desert especially. Adding more maps and interconnected operations would be a relatively quick win. Right now, I can finish a grand campaign in 3 evenings.

Ideally, bring back the strat map as others have suggested. Maybe in a new episode

Game Play
I would like to see a change to the interface so that selecting a team does not immediately try to change the facing of the unit. I am happy to change that by pressing M or N. The same could be said of the deployment mode. I think this is a more sensible way to operating the game. Related to this it would be good to have a Defend all and/or Ambush all that operated on all units. This is most important at the start of the game and it can be hard to change quickly as a human and easy to do fast as an AI. Perhaps also Defend or Ambush for all selected units.
When testing to see the effectiveness of a shot, the fire command wants to continue when I try to select another unit and not stop like it did in old CC when i press escape (escape brings up the exit menu). Similarly when considering a move and seeing the path (a great feature) I have to play around to deselect the move for that unit or it runs to the next unit I am trying to select. This creates much confusion ... to say nothing of mortal injuries.

Overall, I like what has been done and the improvements in the patch releases.

Hard work is a good way to succeed. There is less competition that way...
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

In a similar manner to distributing gear to individual soldiers in Force Selection, medals could also be awarded in Debrief. Auto-assign could take care of Purple Hearts much like now. Or the player could do so. Higher medals might have some formula (ie. rep, margin of victory, casualty ratio, difficulty etc.) that determined the quantity of available for each type. Of course there would also be an unlimited baubles-for-all option.

Attachments
soldiersmedals.jpg
soldiersmedals.jpg (88.05 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

ORIGINAL: nietsche
What it needs now is to extend the operations so that there is more potential for the back and forward fighting in the desert especially. Adding more maps and interconnected operations would be a relatively quick win.
What can be done pdq is add same map counter-attacks with a whole new main force and support for the Axis. Counter-attacking was a German specialty and tactical art. Right now TBF is basically battles of attrition, deplete the enemy the Main Force company, then advance/retreat to a new map if when a map is won/lost. Counter-attacking on the same map would be just a matter of creating new battle scenario files and some minor editing of the Op files to substantially increase the total battle count in the Grand Campaign.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Unit info tool tip when hovering over a unit. Button lower right displays 'second page' of Soldier list for large teams when clicked.
4 soldiers per page.

@nietsche - There are 12 US company types and 11 operations. No rule against assigning a different US company to each operation. You'd lose some of the longterm roleplaying aspect but realistic to say there was a day or three in the life of many combat units that were the most memorable of the war. Keep an archive of Planning & Debrief saves along with battle videos and each US company would have an interactive 'yearbook' of stats and highlights.
Attachments
Soldier Mo.. tooltip.jpg
Soldier Mo.. tooltip.jpg (324.69 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Speaking of save files - why no Save option at battles end when "Battle Complete: click Debrief to continue" is displayed? This would be an ideal time to memorialize the battle.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

A Custom Ops tab on the Command screen. Not difficult to assemble one or more custom battle scenarios into an op. The downside is, you cant launch a custom op without subverting the Grand campaign. Very unsatisfying to finish a custom scenario and often not be able to settle the enemies hash on that map. If only you had a couple more cracks at them.
Quid si
graemeross44

Post by graemeross44 »

I would love to take more advantage of higher resolution monitors and multiple monitors.

High resolution - the screens are so nice it begs for a 4K monitor!

In the interim, move some of the status windows to a second monitor so we can see the whole map without those distractions.

I am just getting used to the game but it brings back the thrill of 1/300 micro armour and a ping pong table with terrain except I don’t get only 2 turns in and find out a day is done.

G.
graemeross44

Post by graemeross44 »

Please allow higher resolution and /or move the status windows to a second monitor. Love how beautiful the map looks and the windows, while useful to play, distract from enjoying the game.
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

How about user awarded medals and promotions, with auto-assign in case of carpal tunnel from all those purple heart honorees your peerless tactical skills have produced.

Attachments
promosnmedals.jpg
promosnmedals.jpg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Might have been asked already...subdivide a unit more than once. eg. a six-man rifle unit could be subdivided into a 3 man Scout, 2 man AT and 1 Sniper. Or two 3 man assault units.

Have those sub-units, gear (SMG, BAR, demo etc) and awards available in the Editor. Or at least explain any pattern to their availabily.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Love to have Viewshed pathing where LOS lightens and darkens the terrain as a movement arrow is pulled away from a unit. Andy Indiana kinda acts like he's already got it.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Casevac - the kia/incap ratio seems statistically realistic, and it fluctuates nicely. Not sure I can tell when a soldier is lightly wounded but still fighting as well as classic cc. Those twitching battle-shocked soldiers are another category of casualty.

Previously had requested mobile wounded, making their way off the map with the broken and routed. Immobile wounded could get aid from Medic support mission buttons
units with a timer running on a white, red cross ball. A stretcher bearer team then appears, loads the casualty, then fades from view on the screen as it trudges toward an aide post to the rear. Unevacuated immobile wounded left in enemy map control become MIA or captured. The hell with an objective if your casualties cant get left behind. Besides, it looks bad on your Debrief CV. Soldier history tab should keep a running list of casualties instead of just the ones who return to the unit.

Quid si
loyalcitizen

Post by loyalcitizen »

ORIGINAL: Markowicz

How about IMPROVING the infantry's capability of firing out of buildings. Right now, it's horrible.

AGREED
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

At Battle Complete toggle on Full enemy info, inc. the Soldier list.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Have a skirmish mode for when all battle end conditions (timer, morale, objectives/warning) are deselected. Then play becomes a battle of attrition where victory level is based on casualty ratios and/or map zone control. Of course this would play havoc with the game's campaign progression system so any alternate victory conditions for custom and one-off scenarios, ops & camps would need to be separate from the campaign.

The more ways TBF can keep score the more ways there are to play.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Highlight where voice cues are coming from on icon in the Unit List, and the speaking soldier in the Soldier List. Bonus points for making the on-map soldier sprite appear to be speaking eg. a sound wave graphic (wifi symbol?) or squelch-breaking radio icon like the GtC fire support makers.

Some alternate vox cues are in order, like triple the number of panic cues with trigger conditions picking a cue at random from a set.
Quid si
ineffable

Post by ineffable »

Debrief has a top line result (Major Victory etc.), a battle end result (morale broke, time, truce, stalemate), a 'ground' result (held, pushed <->), and a casualties result (light, expected, heavy). Add a reputation result (+, =, -) and a friendly force morale result (eg. 48%) that impacts starting force morale next battle. Classic CC showed FM result for both sides. Your rep should be more like your W-L record in battle eg. 6-2-3 in current op, 12-8-7 in current camp. As is, the reputation 'belt' is in Prep and after you win or lose a couple of notches it stays pegged at min/max.
Quid si

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”