Close Combat February Update

3D version of Close Combat
nikdav

RE: Close Combat February Update

Post by nikdav »

The screenshots are impressive !
I like to see the new 3d engine and the old Close Combat feelings.
I just imagine a future "CC Stalingrad"

Specrecce

Post by Specrecce »

Absolutely stoked! Seems ages ago I tested for CSO Simtek and Close Combat Modern Tactics! If there are testers needed, always glad to help out.

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

For me the strongest part in CC was in the infantry combat... and the biggest problems to, part in the lack of use of true squads, part in the limitations from engine... that in the end set infantry units in 4-6 soldier even when with 7 in CC5 worked fine and in certain mods 10 soldiers squads adapt well to the nation... i think in Winter War soviet squads that offer a good aproximation to the big but not very usable.

Maybe modders could solve this but i am really curious how new engine deal with squads over 6 soldiers and test where is the "break point" to set the unit size... bigger is better??? not allways BUT if you can have bigger infantry units you have more room to play with the composition and diference them between nations if we can see more content for game after release.

Of course we are all thinking in move new CC to our favourite battles but i see critical not return to old CC mistake of have 1 title per battle because this made modding work disperse a lot... i prefer a single title and install over it DLCs where every DLC represent a battle-campaign... a battle-campaign you can play from both sides from start to end and that add the content to the battle creation... imagine have Bloody first + Stalingrad + Guadalcanal and you can create battles between soviets and japanese, germans and japanese or USA VS USA civil war [8|]

But the value is in mod all over a single title that made every new mod increase the base title value... the hard part is sell the base game when you do it and if game is really good and well done... sell DLCs is easy, a lot more if you have mods that help sell it.

Other point is if we can have in game a tool to install mods or return to vainilla status easy... maybe like in Campaign series and integrate JSMGE in game to work fine without need players fight with it... like with the old CC5 mod tool (maybe here add the option to have map files in diferent folders to delete them when you need easy not like CC5 that had all in a single folder).
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

The previous Matrix titles, except COI, did handle mods well as each mod could be placed in its own sub directory and a short cut created to start the game using the mod files in that directory. No extra tool required!

The only problem was that they are all based on the CC5 battle campaign/structure so single maps could not be added easily like in COI. The feature was requested many times but no dev hours were every put into it.....
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Yes, you are right, i see it and since LSA you can install mods over base game without need touch base files, is like have 2 titles in same installation working like 2 diferent games... even i use it to install Tunisia mod for TLD [:D]

Well, in new title i think could be possible create a campaign map ala CC5 BUT without the problems from CC5 maps number, even in actual content could be possible have the 3 theaters showed over a single map a little like operations/actions in CC2 with the operation area divided in maps to move your unit or units and you need complete an operation to jump next one battle-campaign area... even is possible have operations individual, not linked... i think in a CC title based in airborne units with operations for german, USA, UK, soviet and japanese units with 5-6 maps per operation a little like that minimods for CC5 and more infantry combat orientated and searching maps with no multilevel buildings until they could be introduce (i dont see a Stalingrad title using only one floor buildings for example).

Apart the question about content and the cannon fodder point i am curious to know if with new engine, after see how infantry deal with obstacles finally we are going to have infantry using defensive works (individual soldier holes, trenches, weapon pits, bunkers...) correct and you can move them for a trench without see them leaving it to die... and if we can place that kind of defensive works in maps like you can do in other games.

Other important question is if vehicles are going to have the option to control what load in main gun AND decide if use it or not VS targets pre-selected, for example i want a tank load AP ammo and only use MGs VS infantry and main gun VS guns-vehicles adapting the shell to the type of target.

mickxe5

Post by mickxe5 »

The /D switch makes the game mod-friendly. Moving the User-made Battles and Saved Games folders from the game directory to Documents doesnt. Inevitably, when mods are installed some of these aggregated Battles and Saves will be incompatible when used in either the stock game or a mod.
thekromewolf

Post by thekromewolf »

I dont have a question steve but just wanted to give you props for being so in touch with your community, ive played CC since i was a kid on the old pentium 4, big fan , thanks for a great game man!
TokyoDan

I want turn off edge scroll.

Post by TokyoDan »

Is there a way or a file I can edit to turn off edge scroll?
SteveMcClaire

RE: I want turn off edge scroll.

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Hi TokyoDan -- there is not an option to disable scrolling when the mouse is right at the window edge. I'll note this as a possible feature to add in future updates, though.

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”