Narrative AAR: Divided Ground "VoT, Second Wind"

Moderator: Jason Petho

bootlegger267

Narrative AAR: Divided Ground "VoT, Second Wind"

Post by bootlegger267 »

Although the tanks of Ltc Nafshi's 74th Ar Bn had prevented any serious breach of the Anti-Tank Ditch in the northern sector throughout the day long battle, the Syrian's had secured their side of the obstacle. As night descended upon the Golan, the Syrian's continued to conduct breaching operations at several points out of sight of the Israeli's. The limited amount of IR equipment, no IR night sights on the Israeli tanks, and a shortage of artillery/mortar flares, allowed them to finished what they attempted hours earlier....

My narrative for this scenario is built around information derived from Dani Asher's book "Inside Israel's Northern Command: The Yom Kippur War on the Syrian Border" and Abraham Rabinovich's "The Yom Kippur War: The Epic Encounter that Transformed the Middle East"
bootlegger267

RE: Narrative AAR: Divided Ground "VoT, Second Wind"

Post by bootlegger267 »

Syrian Turn 1...."Engineering units were given 3 hours to bridge or fill in the tank ditch and clear the minefields. Infantry would then move through to capture the Israeli frontline strongpoints and the "Tels", dormant volcanic cones, which served as OP's behind the Israeli front line."....

"Just before darkness, the Syrian's threw two brigades against the northern sector and four against the southern."

The Syrian 85th Infantry Bde, supported by tanks and artillery, resume their advance...

Attachments
ScreenHunt..28 22.02.jpg
ScreenHunt..28 22.02.jpg (628.39 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

"It wasn't until late in the afternoon that the tank crews, Plt Ldr's and Co Cdr's learned that the Syrian attack was not just a "Combat Day" event. From transistor radio's came news that the Egyptians had launched their own attack across the Suez Canal. The crews knew before their Bde Cdr's that it was now a two front war."

As darkness fell, enemy forces were crossing the obstacle and infiltrating towards the Israeli positions using the night and IR equipment to their advantage.

In order to simulate the historical lack of night fighting equipment within the Israeli units on the Golan, all Opportunity Fire settings are on "S" and no engagements can be initiated over 500 meters (2 hexes) unless flares are utilized.

bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Israeli Turn 1...LP3 was in the process of reporting hearing enemy tanks moving to their south when they came under heavy small arms fire. The tank Plt assigned to their position had pulled back to rearm and refuel from the days heavy contact. The Syrian's had surprised the Israeli's twice...They pressed the attack all day even after suffering heavy losses, and they were now attacking at night.

Ltc Kahalani's 77th Bn was located along Booster Ridge when the spot reports were forwarded. He could make out the Syrian units looking through his IR bino's, but his tanks could not engage as they lacked IR sights.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..29 20.15.jpg
ScreenHunt..29 20.15.jpg (853.66 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

A tank Plt moves towards LP3...

Attachments
ScreenHunt..29 20.31.jpg
ScreenHunt..29 20.31.jpg (884.7 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Syrian Turn 2....The advance continues into the Israeli lines...Artillery on known positions plotted...

Attachments
ScreenHunt..29 20.54.jpg
ScreenHunt..29 20.54.jpg (828.74 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Israeli Turn 2...Tank cannon fire pierced the night as elements of B Co come in contact with Syrian tanks as they approached LP3....

The remainder of B Co reacts....

Attachments
ScreenHunt..29 21.14.jpg
ScreenHunt..29 21.14.jpg (841.96 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: bootlegger267

In order to simulate the historical lack of night fighting equipment within the Israeli units on the Golan, all Opportunity Fire settings are on "S" and no engagements can be initiated over 500 meters (2 hexes)

Oh man, what happened here, I thought all the scenarios had the Night visibitity already fixed from v1 versions... I might have packaged them wrong. [:(]

Thanks for catching this!

Edit: Ode to Divided Ground package download now with correct scenario headers.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
berto

Post by berto »

Visibility fix provided on request.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
berto

Post by berto »

PM sent.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Ltc Khahalani was concerned about his forces' dispositions. His unit was spread out from Kuneitra in the south to the Hermonit in the north. Reports from the platoons near the AT Ditch were describing Syrian forces crossing the obstacle at multiple points but were out of sight and range of his tanks. Then the artillery fire started to pound his position on Booster Ridge...

Khahalani got on the Bde radio net and asked permission to move his forces into positions better suited to stop the Syrian advance. Col Ben-Gal agreed but wanted him to leave a force on the ridge.

bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Syrian Turn 3....Ltc Jihad, the Cdr of the 1st Bn of the 85th Inf Bde had his units advancing along his entire front. They had crossed the ditch the Israeli's had constructed and were now moving towards the positions the Israeli's called the "Hermonit." The 3rd Bn, commanded by Ltc Al-Dessari, was attacking Kuneitra. His units ran into elements of the 77th Mech Co.....

Attachments
ScreenHunt..31 20.46.jpg
ScreenHunt..31 20.46.jpg (870.08 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Israeli Turn 3..."Ammon, this is number 1, I have to pull back....many enemy tanks around Ahmadiyah....I'm down 1" came the radio call. Cpt Ammon, the B Co Cdr, passed the information to Khahalani. Khahalani, listening on the Bde net heard the report that Syrian tanks were approaching Kuneitra from the south. "Khahalani, this is Yanosh (Bel-Gal). Make sure you overlook the town and get ready to block in that direction." "I can't see the entrance from here" responded Khahalani. "I'll send Menahem's Co to the town and have him block from there."

Khahalani got on his Bn radio net. "Emmy, any contact yet?" asked the Cdr. "None, but I can hear them. I need illumination.." said Emmy, the Cdr of A Co. "None available now, but soon." "Amnon, stay on Booster with one platoon, the other follows me and Svet's Company down to the crossroads to get a better view." ordered the Bn Cdr.

Khahalani felt his forces were too spread out, yet they had to cover a large area to prevent the Syrian's from getting past them in the dark.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 12.08.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 12.08.jpg (813.15 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Syrian Turn 4...Col Rostom listened as the call for artillery was made for those elements of the 3rd Bn that had made contact with the Israeli's in Kuneitra. It was expected....What was not expected was the lack of contact from the other two Bn's.

His forces continued along their planned attack routes towards the last known enemy positions....

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 12.55.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 12.55.jpg (833.57 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Israeli Turn 4..."Bde Cdr, Nashfi here....There are large enemy formations moving towards Khahalani. Does he know?"

"Amnon, this is 1st Plt. I've had to get back into the wadi. Taking heavy tank fire from Ahmadiyah"

As Khahalani's group descended from Booster Ridge and reached the road, they turned east towards the AT Ditch. They could see tanks firing to their front when a T-55 appeared 500m away...

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 14.26.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 14.26.jpg (828.09 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Syrian Turn 5...Contact with the Israeli defenses...

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 15.13.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 15.13.jpg (870.23 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Israeli Turn 5...Khahalani had his hands full with the fight he was in when he heard explosions and heavy gun fire from both Kuneitra and the Hermonit.
"Emmy, Bn Cdr hear, report!" "I'm in a heavy fight but ok for now. I need some flares!" replied Emmy. "Menahem, your location?"
"I'm in the town, my tanks are right behind me. Heavy artillery is falling here."
"Amnon, what do you see?"
"Heavy fighting on the east side of town, we saw the enemy cannon fire to your front, can't pick out any targets"
Khahalani switched to the BDe net...Bde Cdr, Khahalani here...I need flares soon"
"A few minutes more. The shells are arriving now" responded Bel Gal.
"I may not a few more minutes. my whole sector is in contact"

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 18.17.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 18.17.jpg (855 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Syrian Turn 6...

Col Rostom directs his 3rd Bn to break off his attack on Kuneitra
and shift his advance north of the town...

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 19.00.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 19.00.jpg (850.61 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Israeli Turn 6..."Bn Cdr, Amnon here, I'm engaging infantry coming up the slopes"
"Bn Cdr, this is Svet's, I have enemy troops and vehicles coming through the wadi between the Tels"
"This is Khahalani, I've got tanks to my front near the village
"Menahem, how's the town?
"Sach's says he'll hold. He's in good positions along the eastern edge"
"Good, good...move your unit along the forward slope of Booster. Amnon has infantry to his front."
'Emmy, what are you seeing?"
"I've taken out quite a few vehicles, I'm holding for now."

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 19.50.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 19.50.jpg (847.86 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
bootlegger267

Post by bootlegger267 »

Syrian Turn 7...

Attachments
ScreenHunt..01 21.05.jpg
ScreenHunt..01 21.05.jpg (634.94 KiB) Viewed 1571 times