HBO Valley of Tears series

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

berto

RE: HBO Valley of Tears series

Post by berto »

Does this series cover the entire war, or just the fighting on the Syrian front?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: berto

Does this series cover the entire war, or just the fighting on the Syrian front?
It covers the fighting at Golan Heights, mainly by one tank crew, and two protagonists at Mt Hermon. Some cut backs to civilian life back at Jerusalem, their families and friends, mostly.

At episode #7, day 3 of the war. Slow going, very well made drama. A gung-ho war series this is not. Not that you asked, but worth a mention.

Come to think, similar to Generation Kill in this aspect. War is not a centerpiece, rather the men (and women, in this case) at war, instead.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Spoiler alert:
ORIGINAL: Crossroads

... mainly by one tank crew, and two protagonists at Mt Hermon...
Episode #1, there were more, of course [:(]
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Episodes #9 and #10, a proper catharsis, at least for some of them, as was expected.

Not to spoil anything, but it all looks like there will be season 2, too. Cliff-hangers, definitely.
---
DM729

Post by DM729 »

Valley Of Tears has created quite a stir in Israel and made it into the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/12/worl ... rld%20News
KungPao

Post by KungPao »

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

An IDF a band of Brothers. There were aspects I was disappointed in. For instance I wish they covered the night fighting along the Tapline Road. I found the character who played BG Yitzhak Hofi to be less than convincing and they never covered the battle for Northern Command headquarters at Nafah, which was incredible with Syrian T-62s hit with Bazookas at point blank range. That said, I binge watched it and enjoyed it. Just thought the Israeli politics came into it more than the real fighting.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

An IDF a band of Brothers. There were aspects I was disappointed in. For instance I wish they covered the night fighting along the Tapline Road. I found the character who played BG Yitzhak Hofi to be less than convincing and they never covered the battle for Northern Command headquarters at Nafah, which was incredible with Syrian T-62s hit with Bazookas at point blank range. That said, I binge watched it and enjoyed it. Just thought the Israeli politics came into it more than the real fighting.
Well said, this was more BoB than Generation Kill in that it took its time to introduce us to main characters, especially in the mid part when it slowed down. After that, the fight scenes had even more impact. The lull before the fight.

Lots of action not depicted indeed, but what it missed in the mid-part it made up in the end.

Let us see indeed if there's Season 2. Lots of stories left untold.
---
Rake

Post by Rake »

I gave up on this at the start of episode 9. IMO, the story line had gone so far off the rails of believability that I just turned it off. I was really disappointed because the battle scenes were well done and the story held a lot of promise. Parts of the story were (for me) just ludicrous...

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”