Anybody still playing the game?

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

36142CP

Anybody still playing the game?

Post by 36142CP »

Hi all, I've been thinking of buying this game for sometime. I'm really into the ACW and watched playthroughs of it on youtube. Really like the look of it. Does the game contain an editor? that you could use to create your own maps etc (Gettysburg!)and untis, so you can then play them out against the AI, or a human by PBEM?
From what I have seen, there isn't much out there still to match the game. I have Ultimate General and Gettysburg General but they are not really my bag. £38 is a lot for me to pay for an old game, so was wondering if anybody is still playing it. Many thanks indeed.
My best,
Chris.
Yogi the Great

RE: Anybody still playing the game?

Post by Yogi the Great »

I still play the game.

There is a modding guide that comes with the game. I'm the wrong person to answer those questions however as I don't mod myself.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

Hi Yogi, thank-you for your reply. I've been watching some playthroughs, and quite impressed with it. Feels like a good ole' hex and counter table top, which appeals to me.
Does the PBEM work ok? Do you have/play Forge Of Freedom?
Many thanks.
Regards, Chris.
P.S Your dog is so cute.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's still loaded on one of my test pc's, but get little time to play any more, but still think it's one of the better CW type games out still to date
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

Thanks Zak. Yes, that's the impression I get. BAB is an updated Forge Of Freedom? Do you play Forge Of Freedom? How do the two compare?
Many thanks.
Regards, Chris.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i've tested FOF for windows 10 and also played it a bit, but tbh it's not the same, one is more of an overall sim, while this is just the war part, FOF reminded me of how Ageod games play, or did before they went onto the new engine and will release Field of Glory Empires with it as there first game with a newer engine
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

I have just purchased BAB, I know what i'll be doing tonight! Saved up some money. I did see a quick playthrough of FOF, and as you say it did also remind me of the AGEOD system, which I tried awhile ago and it didn't float my boat.
Time to install BAB now! Exciting times [:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Ageod games never did anything for me either a while back, then got some earlier ones, enjoyed them and learnt the system, and now have the lot and enjoy them all, there different enough to be a challenge and have the depth and design to be really good games, you just need to spend the time to learn one of them, then all will be more playable, and enjoyable, but don't take my word for it, you already have one, see what there earlier ones were, and start on them first, well worth the effort since you already own some
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

Howdy brother I still play this quick often and yes it moddable but tricky. I'm trying out a custom mapping program for the game shoot me a reply and we can further discuss gameplay and modding the game if your still interested.

edit: if your interested in the mapping part of the modding of the game here is the thread:

tm.asp?m=4602866

Josh
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

apart from us that have answered, you maybe lucky if anyone else answers any time soon, with reasons you have already mentioned, it's now a old game, developers has ill health, so no idea if a follow on will or won't be made, modding maps will be a challenge, but modding other items are quite easy and simple, manuals good, but most would like it explained better, with some wishing for a more larger player guide or extra help with one thing or another, but as threads are all still here, it's mostly in the past now, as replies have all been forgotten and mostly answered, we few try our best to explain anything in game, but like most, if the manual doesn't show something, time spent playing did it for all of us who were testers on the game, without a manual from day one tbh
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

Howdy ringoblood, thanks for replying. Had an hour's play of the gaame. It's a bit clunky but has potential for my liking. I need to read the manual on a few bits. Modding would be a challenge, but having Antietam, Gettysburg maps would be cool wouldn't it. I know nothing about this sort of thing though. I'll have a look at that thread. Thank-you.
Thanks Zacblood. Most of the game is quite straight forward, a few things I need to get my head around. It's quite slow and clunky, I have updated to patch 1.06. The new chits are odd, I prefer the blue coloured one's I had seen on the playthroughs on youtube. I installed the game fresh and then downloade and unzipped the 1.06 patch, which assuming was correct to do. Cheers.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

The pbem works but the "chat/talk is always after the fact so you are replying past the action being talked about. You only see the other persons moves not your own so surprises are certainly there when you open up the turn. However it is workable and fun playing by pbem.

The really big difference is in realism factor. You will have plenty of frustration like the actual war. You can tell the men to do something but they may not do it. You can think things are looking good and then rout, rout and more rout changes all. The union in particular has to play a very careful game or will lose to the lack of staying power. Your orders may be taken as a suggestion not as a requirement by some of you sub commanders and troops. Tell all to advance and maybe only a half or third of them will do so. Tell them to hold and they refuse. All the fun of battlefield confusion, lack of communication and failure or delay of obeying are there for you to have.

edit: yes even the great Stonewall may not do what you ask him to do for several turns in a row. Have fun!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I am sorry about the devs ill health. I was very hard on this game in the forums for its lack of support or addition of a couple of scenarios in a patch. Glad some are enjoying it, too.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well it's not been made official, so just make out i never said it either, but someone has to comment on this thread and good game, as while i don't disagree it's not prefect and i'm the first one to admit i'd love more of the same with more maps to play on and more battles to fight even with the aged now old engine, it works fine on windows 10, so should be ok for the next 5 to 10 years more i'd hope
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

I've read the other thread, regarding the situation with developer etc, very sorry to hear that. I extend my best wishes to him.

I had a quick play with the scenario editor last night, moved some units around and changed starting positions etc. Seems quite straight forward. The text files in the scenario folders seem ok to edit. It would take a considerable time to enter the order of battle for Gettysburg, but possible. I have a map of Gettysburg, from a table top game. Not sure how the scenario folder and its contents, then links up with the map files in the map folder however. If I get time I'll have a look into it. I've never modded anything before, so new territory for me[:D]

Regards to all.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Other big difference in the game is learning what formation to be in and when. Wrong formation at he wrong time can be disaster. And if you don't do a good job of rallying and encouraging the troops will be a bad outcome. Again the union in particular needs to manage these things well, but important for both sides.
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

Thanks for the heads up Yogi. I'll be playing Confederate most of the time, rebel yellzzzzz [:D]

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”