Is Forge of Freedom the Same Game?

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

UnionWarDog

Is Forge of Freedom the Same Game?

Post by UnionWarDog »

Hey guys, was looking a purchasing Brother Against Brother but it looks like the game support and base has died. I really like Civil War strategy games and was hoping this would be a good purchase.

Honestly $49.00 for a dead game is A LOT!!!

The Forge of Freedom from the same producer is $39.00. Is that basically the same thing?

Hopefully someone will find this and offer some input. :)

BRD!
zakblood

RE: Is Forge of Freedom the Same Game?

Post by zakblood »

from the same maker eg developer yes, on the same subject even, but nothing like the same game, totally different kind of game, looks and play wise
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

on regards to game support, once on the site, the game is fully supported until end of sale life and withdrawn from sales, so if lets say a bug is found to be an issue, once posted the developer would need to look and find and solve the problem and fix it, so yes still supported,

on the part about player base, i have no figures on how many bought it and still play it, but yes not many post about it, but that's two different parts, play and post, on some games many still play and post, others play and don't post, it's all on if someone has something to say or post on a given game and subject
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

oh and welcome to the forum UnionWarDog[;)]
Zap

Post by Zap »

If you look at ARR section above you will get an idea of how active the game is. Or the section those looking for opponents. If you try to enter you cannot. The last post of someone looking for an opponent was 2015. So if your looking for an active board you will not find it here. It does not speak to the quality of the game. But the main thing that happened keeping interest low was the choice to go with less desired battles instead of battles that appeal to more players.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

But the main thing that happened keeping interest low was the choice to go with less desired battles instead of battles that appeal to more players.

the choice made was to do battle from the time period which others hadn't covered i think, then in later series / DLC's bring out others which more would have known and some lesser known ones again.

but can't say now if it will or won't happen as i just don't know atm,...
UnionWarDog

Post by UnionWarDog »

Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated. I purchased Forged of Freedom on EBay to test it first...saved a bunch.

Wished this was more open to the community to update (i.e. allow map editing, OOB, scenario and graphic changes). At this point the developers could let the enthusiast do the battle developments and they would only need to support bugs or improvements.

I've done a lot of scenario designs on the JTS/HPS Civil War series and believe the users are quite capable of building excellent scenarios and do design support. It keeps the community a lot more active. When the games remain locked, the community/enthusiast fade away.
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

A step by step tutorial would be good
Something on the lines of the St Vith video tutorial that come with Command Ops 2
Now thats how to do a tutorial
One that can be followed whilst playing along with the vid
But alas that will not happen here as the devs have despaired off the face of the earth
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

brother against brother drawing of the sword

plenty of online video's and quite a few go into how the game works and plays out and offers some good impressions on the game imo, just type above into google or youtube

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzEUkfmp6pI

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfKZVEHrV1I
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

lenty of online video's and quite a few go into how the game works and plays out and offers some good impressions on the game imo, just type above into google or youtube

You don't even need to go that far - in the general section of the forums for the game is a thread placed by the devs showing several links for on-line videos. It includes a walkthrough video by the developers - it was what got me really interested in the game.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks nicwb for pointing it out and yes your correct, something i forgot tbh
shoelessbivouac

Post by shoelessbivouac »

ORIGINAL: UnionWarDog

The Forge of Freedom from the same producer is $39.00. Is that basically the same thing?

Still a fan of Forge of Freedom. Unlike other strategic level treatments of the ACW, this game remains unique in that it incorporates three combat resolution options: Instant, Quick, and Detailed - "Detailed," being a tactical combat resolution treatment option - clearly the precursor and inspiration to the current Brother vs Brother ACW tactical level game.

While it does not appear to be in a future offing,

I have still long wished [&o] for a company to logically imagine a "Forge of Freedom II" game release with updated graphics and video resolution options, and which, of course, would include the enhanced BAB tactical level engine model.
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”