Is Game an Orphan?

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Bamilus

RE: Is Game an Orphan?

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Thank you for your ongoing interest, and (quite possibly undeserved) loyalty. I suspect that an apology will fall flat among some, but nevertheless do apologize for my silence, and the general lack of updates. Eric has already addressed this a bit, but I should too, of course.

First, the good news is that, as Eric wrote, we do indeed intend to continue BAB, though unless sales are markedly better we would have to scale back the number of releases, focusing more on the major battles and having fewer of the lesser ones (which can take about as much time to develop, but don’t lead to greater sales). Personally, I hope that our next release sells well enough that we can keep to our original plan, since I tremendously enjoy working on all of these battles, even ones as small as Mill Springs. (I would right now add something about enjoying it so much that I would produce maps and scenarios without any hope of compensation, if I didn’t know that Eric might read this thread again.)

Now, of course, I recognize that our lack of response in the forum will make it that much more difficult to succeed, and there is no good explanation, other than that until quite recently for the past year or so I’ve had to disengage from all WCS activities for professional and personal reasons, but that is now behind me; as for our total silence for the past several months, I will just vaguely write that there was some confusion regarding the care of the forum. In fact -- scout’s honor, if you’ll take the word of a mere cub scout, and a failed one at that -- just this past weekend, oblivious to the existence of this thread, I was discussing with Eric changes that I need to have made to the map-editor so that I can continue with our 2nd Manassas release.

To sum this up:
* I have every intention of doing everything I can to have our next release come out this winter (though sooner would be nice).
* The disenchantment with WCS (though not our games, I’m glad to see), is understandable, and we will do what we can to win back everyone who needs to be won back. To which I’ll add, in response to the comments about customer service, that WCS has historically been outstanding in terms of our customer service and listening to feedback and implementing suggestions into patches -- a few minutes skimming through the old “Forge of Freedom” and “Crown of Glory” forums should demonstrate that.
* When BAB does come to a close we will announce it formally -- we will not simply walk away from it.

Finally, I’ll add that even if I am not on the forum I do respond to e-mails sent via this website, as well as to pm’s. Though in the case of the latter it looks as if my inbox might be full -- if anyone did try to reach me but heard back nothing I apologize for that. I have never knowingly failed to respond to a direct message.

Kind of crazy Gil hasn't posted nor logged on since this message and Ericbabe hasn't logged on in over a year. I guess we can officially declare the series dead, which is a shame.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

sad times, hopefully someone from staff will post a official statement on affairs
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

Would have sold a lot better if it had a walkthrough tutorial
Theres an old saying "i told you so" but people kept saying theres good tutorials on YT
I dont like videos I wanted hands on tutorials like a lot of other games. Combat Mission tutorials springs to mind
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

sad times, hopefully someone from staff will post a official statement on affairs

Yes -sorry to see this game meet such a fate. Hopefully something may change. The game had a unique take on ACW regimental gameplay and was pretty easy to learn.
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

ORIGINAL: nicwb

Yes -sorry to see this game meet such a fate. Hopefully something may change. The game had a unique take on ACW regimental gameplay and was pretty easy to learn.

That comment defeats what i have been saying the last couple of years
I am sure it never sold very well as there was no tutorial
Why cant people understand that
For some (like yourself maybe ) it may be easy to learn but me i found it very frustrating
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

That comment defeats what i have been saying the last couple of years
I am sure it never sold very well as there was no tutorial
Why cant people understand that
For some (like yourself maybe ) it may be easy to learn but me i found it very frustrating

OK - I understand your frustration - I used to get that way with the earlier AEGOD games - what it took was time, persistence and a bit of trial and error. Especially as I think the game has an unusual take on gameplay mechanics.

As for sales - my opinion is that the problem is its a niche game in in niche section of computer wargaming. Not many people play tactical wargames outside of things like Total War or Crusader Kings. Games such as the ones Matrix puts out only appeal to a small section of the gaming community. Also, B v B covers a small part of a single war and only at tactical level. To cap it off, the battles represented aren't particularly well known ones (apart from 1st Manassas) unless you have an interest in ACW.

I think this was discussed in an earlier thread but the devs may have been better off covering a well known battle - like (it tires me to say it) Gettysburg. Most gamers have at least a familiarity with the name. Essentially, I think the game was a victim of marketing rather than anything else.
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

JTS do very simple tutorials that can be printed out and followed
Something very similer on those lines would would have worked wonders
Anyway wont go on about tutorials any more as it not going to be remidied

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”