Wilson's Creek AAR, Union player vs Conf AI

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

gwgardner

Wilson's Creek AAR, Union player vs Conf AI

Post by gwgardner »

Brother Against Brother

The break of dawn, August 10, 1861.

Thirteen thousand Missouri and Arkansas militiamen - green and ill-equipped, but determined - were encamped along Wilson's Creek, about 12 miles southwest of Springfield, Missouri. Whatever calm and quiet that could possibly have reigned where so many infantry, cavalry, and artillery-men were stirring that morn, was soon to be shattered.

The Battle of Wilson's Creek was at hand.

Attachments
encampment.jpg
encampment.jpg (254.98 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

RE: Wilson's Creek AAR, Union player vs Conf AI

Post by gwgardner »

In this After Action Report I will be playing the Wilson's Creek standard scenario. There are more than 20 battle scenarios available to play in Brother Against Brother but I chose this one because it was such an interesting early war clash - sometimes called the Bull Run of the West.

Close to six thousand Union troops, including militia from Missouri, Kansas, and Iowa, and some regular army companies under Brig. General Nathaniel Lyon attempted a Manassas type pincer movement against the encampment of 13,000 Missouri and Arkansas State Guard commanded by Major General Sterling Price.

The outcome of the battle placed southwest Missouri firmly in Rebel hands for the rest of the war.

Here are the scenario options I've chosen:

Difficulty '1st Lietenant'. I could have chosen any level from Corporal to Full General, with the higher ranks giving the AI progressively more advantages in cohesion, morale, aggressiveness, and likelihood of executing orders as given.

I have the 'end turn activation rule' off. See the manual for more information on this, but it has to do with when the player gets notification that a specific brigade is not able to follow orders that turn (not activated). I personally kind of like to know sooner rather than later. (Now in actuality, difficulty levels below Lt. Colonel don't have such failed activations!)

Attachments
menu.jpg
menu.jpg (206.53 KiB) Viewed 956 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

My Order of Battle

Note that the color bars next to a Division are correlated with the optional appearance of unit colors on the map.

This OOB is clickable - taking the player right to the unit on the map. It also can be expanded to give even more information.

Attachments
brigadecolors.jpg
brigadecolors.jpg (148.92 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Starting positions for my forces north of the Confederate encampment:

Well, for the Confederates also, since the existence of the Reb camps along Wilson Creek were generally known. The Union forces did not know the Reb dispositions in detail, but in general.

Note the mini-map on these battleground map segments - the lighter highlighted portion of the minimap is centered around which portion of the overall map is being viewed.

Note also that I'm displaying the counter or icon view of my forces. This can be easily alternated with the sprite view as will be shown many times later.

Attachments
northstart.jpg
northstart.jpg (201.51 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Brig General Franz Sigel commanded the portion of my force to the south that is attempting to flank the Rebel encampment, and throw heavy lead in there to disrupt the Confederates while they are struck simultaneously by the larger part of my forces to the north.

Attachments
southstart.jpg
southstart.jpg (218.65 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Here is shown the sprite view of the same general southern portion of the starting positions. Using the 'v' hotkey or by clicking on the units icon on the map, the player can instantly switch between the sprites and the unit icons. The sprites are great for immersion, allowing the player to witness changes of formations and so on, while the icons are often useful to get a quick overall view of things.

The player can zoom smoothly for larger or smaller icons and sprites, using the mouse wheel or the zoom hotkeys ctrl + or -.

I've zoomed way in here, just to show it can be done. Normally I play more zoomed out, getting a bigger view of the map and the sprites do look even better a bit more zoomed out. I quite like these at this level though.

Attachments
sprites.jpg
sprites.jpg (161.86 KiB) Viewed 956 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

5:00 AM

Northern brigades:

It's still dark, so visibility is very limited. I know I have approached to within rather close proximity to the enemy encampment in the north, so I'm not going to advance down the main roads anymore until light.

I send out my two cavalry units to scout farther down the main roads, but they too can see only a few yards in the dark.

No sight of even enemy pickets so far.

Sigel's Brigade:

Here too it's a matter of waiting for the daylight. I have my artillery situated on high ground overlooking what should be the Rebel encampment. (see previous screenshot for Sigel's position.)

Attachments
FW102208.jpg
FW102208.jpg (333.62 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

7:00 AM

(Time advances more quickly per turn at night. During the daylight, each turn will be 20 minutes.)

Daylight makes a big difference. Confederate forces are visible, although not yet identifiable by type, both north and south.

All my brigades are currently operating under 'Advance' brigade orders, meaning they can use their full movement allowance, but not approach closer than four hexes (300 yards) to an enemy unit. I will probe with my cavalry, hoping to identify what we're up against with these forward units, then determine how to move up with my main force.

Attachments
daylight.jpg
daylight.jpg (299.17 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

7:20

My scouts have identified the forward Rebel forces as cavalry pickets. I've moved two brigades up as fast as they can march and put some of them in line, hoping to drive those cavalry off quickly. In addition I sent a ranger company farther south to scout things out. They have spotted Rebel infantry moving up. The Confederate encampment has become a hornet's nest.

Attachments
FW163843.jpg
FW163843.jpg (228.51 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Anyone not awake by now will have been rudely startled by the bark of Backof's Artillery, in Sigel's brigade down south. First casualties of the battle - Confederate cavalry who happened to have been picketed just in range of the guns.

Sigel has committed a blunder, however. He's personally advanced too far beyond his infantry columns, and they're not coming up as quickly as he had wanted. They're out of command range now, and he may have to head back to organize their push forward.

Attachments
FW163527.jpg
FW163527.jpg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 954 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

7:40

Since my rangers spotted Reb infantry moving out of camp towards the north, I've decided to send 1st Brigade up onto the hill in front of my current position, while 4th and 2nd Brigades continue to pressure the Reb cavalry to exit the premises.

On the southern flank of the Reb position, Gen Sigel has joined his infantry and directed a movement along the road to the west. I appears that the Rebels have pulled back out of the field just to the north of Backof's battery.

Attachments
turn3.jpg
turn3.jpg (346.94 KiB) Viewed 957 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

8:00

Sigel's Brigade continues to move into a better position flanking the Rebs. Backof's artillery battery succeeded in laying waste to a group of Reb supply wagons before they could move away.

In the north, 4th Brigade has opened up from its position on the hill to the west of the Reb cavalry, but 1st and 2nd Brigades are mired in low terrain giving them poor vantage to attack the enemy.

[note the smoke along the ridge of the hill, where 2nd Brigade has opened up with heavy fire]

Attachments
FW230534.jpg
FW230534.jpg (192.14 KiB) Viewed 957 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

8:20

The Reb cavalry in the north has taken significant casualties (see screenshot for totals thus far), but is not pulling back quickly. It is doing quite well in buying time for the Confederates to organize a counterattack, or at least to setup a defensive line.

Sigel's Brigade pushes north, with the southern flank of the enemy no longer in sight. Backof's battery has limbered and will join the rest of the brigade.

Attachments
turn5.jpg
turn5.jpg (141.92 KiB) Viewed 958 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

On the northern flank:

Attachments
FW233554.jpg
FW233554.jpg (210.52 KiB) Viewed 957 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

My poor generalship is no doubt already beginning to color the thoughts of my subordinates. Even I can see some serious problems with my positions on the field.

Especially Blair's 3rd Brigade, which took the eastern-most road against the Reb cavalry pickets. See the screenshot, where the small white circles with target crosshairs show my line of sight from Blair's position. Not good. Note also more Reb cavalry attempting to flank Blair's position on the east.

I'm going to give 'Withdraw' orders for Blair, let him escape back across the little creek while still maintaining a fighting stance. Then I have the option of holding him there to guard the flank or pull him around to the high ground in reserve.

Attachments
FW102535.jpg
FW102535.jpg (228.21 KiB) Viewed 958 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

9:00 AM

In the last half hour or so, the Conf cavalry screen has finally shattered or withdrawn, but now their infantry is pushing hard on my eastern flank, where Blair's brigade is attempting to withdraw to better ground.

In the south, Gen. Sigel is working hard to get his entire brigade into proper command and control, and probing north. All he's seen so far are some Conf cavalry.

Attachments
FW115431.jpg
FW115431.jpg (146.31 KiB) Viewed 957 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Here's a portion of the latest turn battle report as a small example of the kind of info available for players who want all the details. Reports are available on individual fire actions, end turn summaries and totals, accumulated detail reports for the last five turns, and game history graphs.

Attachments
FW115304.jpg
FW115304.jpg (65.93 KiB) Viewed 957 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I admit to not being much of a detail-oriented player, so I opt for the simpler on-map casualty report available with a simple click on the casualties icon toggle.

The large blue and red numbers show casualties for that regiment for this turn only.

Attachments
FW122133.jpg
FW122133.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 957 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

9:40

The Confederates continue to move units into position south and east of the high ground, where my forces are firmly in control. Long-range firing continues, but little damage done overall. One side or the other is going to have to make an advance.

The pesky Conf McCowan's Cavalry has fled in panic north of my lines. That's troublesome, but by all indications they are in no shape to fight right now. (right-clicking on an identified enemy unit brings up info on it)

Attachments
north 940.jpg
north 940.jpg (241.89 KiB) Viewed 957 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Gen Sigel has finally gotten his entire brigade north of Terrell's Creek. He will now advance quickly (I hope) to again harass the enemy's southern flank.

Attachments
FW 200724.jpg
FW 200724.jpg (113.22 KiB) Viewed 957 times

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”