Differences between 1 & 2?

A turn-based strategy game like no other has landed. Approachable, absorbing and visually impressive yet detailed, Battle Academy aims to revolutionise the strategy games market with a blend of intuitive design and compelling game play driven by cutting edge technical innovation. The game has more than 30 battles in a range of theatres of war from the North African desert through D-Day to the to the snowy Ardennes mountains where the Allies battled to repel the final German offensive. Now with additional battles on the Western Front with the expansions 'Blitzkrieg France', 'Market Garden', 'Operation Husky', 'Sealion' and 'Rommel in Normandy'.

Moderator: MOD_Slitherine

Kuokkanen

Differences between 1 & 2?

Post by Kuokkanen »

I've got anniversary coupon and I think about using it on Battle Academy. I am intrigued about Western front, so I would like to buy the original game. But does sequel (Battle Academy 2) have any significant improvements in its game system?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Philippeatbay

RE: Differences between 1 & 2?

Post by Philippeatbay »

Depends on what you mean by significant.

I have both games, but when I feel like scratching a Battle Academy itch I tend to go for BA2, unless I specifically want to do something on the Western Front. The BA2 engine works a little better, and the scenarios that you'll encounter in it benefit from the passage of time.

Having said that, the two engines are pretty similar, so if you're interested in the Western Front but are afraid of getting stuck with a clunky engine, don't worry about it and go for the original game. But don't overlook the add-ons (especially the ones about Metz and Rommel in Normandy) which also got to benefit from the passage of time.

Truth in advertising: I've had the original game and its DLC's for so long I no longer remember which campaigns came with the game and which were add-ons. And I'm incapable of being truly objective about the Metz scenarios because they were made by a very good designer who happens to be a friend of mine.

The flag graphics are awful in the first Battle Academy, especially for the Italian and American flags, but there are mods that can fix that.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Since I'm a western front fan I preferred Battle Academy I. It has all the scenarios I want and someone was nice enough to make a sort of random battle generator for it so the replayability is practically forever. It's just right for a beginner to intermediate to wargaming. It's not your advanced wargame by a long shot though. Neither is BA2 for that matter. If I were getting my son into wargaming BA1 is the game I'd choose. Possibly The Perfect General also.
athineos

Post by athineos »

Where can I find the random battle generator for BA1?

Return to “Battle Academy”