Additional events to the event log

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
jirik

Additional events to the event log

Post by jirik »

Hi,

I'd like to propose few more event types to be added to the event log (with puase/slowdown config for them as well)

- dismount completed - this I believe is an important event that should really be added. In the heat of the battle when unload order (either direct or with path) is executed it might be super important to order dismount units new orders as soon as possible. Fo that it would be super helpful when event about dismount completed would be written to the log and one could set autopause so ordedrs could be issued
- order completed - this event would be nice to have but still really useful. It would be triggered when even completes its order (or move) and it has no more active orders in the queue. This would help the play to more easily switch between multiple parts of the battleground so for example when scouting unit completes its scout order the game would be paused and the user could either issue a new order or activate a next waypoint in the plan

How difficult would be to implement such functionality? It would really help the player to keep up with battle flow even for larger scenarios or mutplie attack axis.

Thanks

J.
Veitikka

RE: Additional events to the event log

Post by Veitikka »

I agree that an event about unloading troops could be very helpful. I've found myself commonly babysitting units as I wait them to exit their transports.

I think the main challenge is in avoiding to overwhelm the player with messages. For example if you order a formation the dismount then there should be only one message saying that the order has been completed. So far only the mortars have had a similar message when they're ready to fire.
Know thyself!
jirik

RE: Additional events to the event log

Post by jirik »

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. I'd just provide report not only when unload command is completed but also when a formation dismounts on contact due to SOP settings.

And you are right one message per formation is enough.

J.
Peresvet

Re: Additional events to the event log

Post by Peresvet »

+1
It would be really great to have notifications about both troops finished loading/unloading and units completed their orders. Having duplicate messages for each unit in a formation is a tiny annoyance compared to the current mental burden of keeping track of each unit myself.

Return to “Armored Brigade”