Excellent Game

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
rommel222

Excellent Game

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
Just picked Alea Jacta Est Roman Civil Wars and enjoying very much.
I took advantage of the amazon.com physical copy offer for only $4.99 sold by matrixgames.
Nice to have the disk w/serial number and then registered it at member my games.

Are the other DLC titles worth it? If so, which are best or recommended?
Price wise some are $1.99 & $9.99 during holiday sale.
rommel222

RE: Excellent Game

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
Based on reviews at steam and other website reviews, I sprang for Spartacus & Cantabrian Wars DLC and Birth of Rome (favorite period).
Looking forward to the Gallic Wars, Dacian Wars and Conquest of Britain & Celtic revolt as future titles mentioned in the wargamer review.
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

It is a good game and probably evidence that the Aegod engine works best when there aren't a large amount of units on the map - in some other Aegod games you really get drowned with detail.

Bad news though - Alea jacta est came out in late 2012, with the last DLC in late 2013. Since then the devs have put out several other games- I suspect you are unlikely to see some of those titles you mentioned [:(]
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings nicwb,
I agree that Ageod engine is always best with fewer units as evidenced by Birth of America 2, Napoleon's Campaigns, English Civil War, Espana 1936 and American Civil War titles. I believe Thirty Years War is good on Ageod engine as well.

It will be sad if Ageod does not do more Alea Jacta Est DLC/games.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

It is my favourite Ageod game, and I agree, the less units the better, within reason.
A Sharif
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

It is my favourite Ageod game, and I agree, the less units the better, within reason.

All too true - Alea and a couple of the others get the balance right. But then you go to "to end all wars" at the other extreme !
Greetings nicwb,
I agree that Ageod engine is always best with fewer units as evidenced by Birth of America 2, Napoleon's Campaigns, English Civil War, Espana 1936 and American Civil War titles. I believe Thirty Years War is good on Ageod engine as well.

It will be sad if Ageod does not do more Alea Jacta Est DLC/games.

Thanks Rommel222 - perhaps the answer may lie in the upcoming Field of Glory Empires - it look like it crosses FOG with Alea ?
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

The AJE series is an excellent group of titles. Don't forget to pick up Parthian Wars! [8D] Hannibal Terror of Rome is also pretty good.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings OldSarge,
Took advantage of the sale and picked up AJE Parthian Wars and Hannibal Terror of Rome to complete the Alea Jacta set of games..
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

To End All Wars is my favorite.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”