Not familiar with any ageod games. Should I get it?

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
towerbooks3192

Not familiar with any ageod games. Should I get it?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I am no veteran of war games but I can say that I managed to play something as simple as panzer corps, intermediate as decisive campaigns and as complicated as war in the east so I can say I wouldn't mind being assaulted (in fact I welcome it!) by details and numbers. Should I get the game? The Roman Empire was interesting but I wouldn't call myself someone who is super crazy about the time period. I would like to know what kind of game is this?
et ignobiles oblivio
salazarus

RE: Not familiar with any ageod games. Should I get it?

Post by salazarus »

You can't really compare Ageod's game to anything else. They are hard because you don't get a lot of feedback from the game. Sometimes you loose a battle and you don't know why? Battle resolutions are the biggest issue for me, but I never felt cheated by AI.
The whole gameplay is about managing your armies. You have to keep them supplied and fresh. For me it is all about forcing enemy to attack your forces where you want and when you want. You have to also manage your empire by balancing your economy and making some decisions (giving away bread to make people happy, selling prisoners into slavery, some historical options, etc.).
This game is great to start with Ageod because you don't have many units and supply model is simple. But I find that the more you are interested in the period the more you appreciate the game. Check out this topic:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.p ... frican-one
They put a lot of research into their games.
To start with Ageods games I suggest: Ale Iacta Est, Birth of Rome, Hannibal, Rise of Prussia, Birth of America II (great game and many scenarios) or Thirty Years War. Just choose the period you like the most and enjoy.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”