Need testers

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

Need testers

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, I got some scenarios brewing, some near completion, others not.

What I really need, is someone to test them. Who's up for it?

I've done some testing myself, but only so much self-testing will reveal balancing and stuff like that. It is easy to go stuck in a rut, or think that something that is easy to achieve, suddenly becomes hard for others. I expect feedback, so there is that.

The two scenarios I have that are ready for some testing are:

"Gothic Line 44" and "Modern Shogun".

Gothic Line 44 is a remake of a scenario made by Vic for an early version of ATG. Call it AT Classic. I made it completely up to speed, with the current Rising Dawn masterfile, as good as I could. I took out things like models and officers, because it seemed wrong for them to be in a historic scenario. Officers because there was some specific ones, while models because of the shortness of the time period covered, and it would be less realistic, if you could call up HQ and ask for a new type of tank, and actually get to use it, during that campaign.

Modern Shogun is a completely new scenario. I came up with the idea for it, in other words. The scene is Japan 1932. There has been a collapse of the government (which could have happened, there were two coup attempts at the time), and instead of a single unified Japan, it has split into four factions. One of them occupies Tokyo, which is of course where the Imperial Palace is. The player that holds that place for 18 turns, wins the game! Naturally everyone wants to win, so Tokyo faction, the one having a hold on the palace, is at war with everyone. There is an alternative to win the game, by taking 60% of the maps Victory points, and holding Tokyo at the same time. Unlike ANY other scenario, this one has Resources, that are able to be interdicted! If you join up, I can explain more about that.

Both scenarios use GaryChildress' excellent graphics, and to top it all off, they are both able to be played by the AI. To play them you need to be using the AT Phoenix patches.

PM me, or write here, to get more info.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Re: Need testers

Post by ernieschwitz »

I thought maybe a few snippets of the scenarios might be in it's place.

First here is a partial screenshot of the Gothic Line 44 scenario:
Allied Map -Snippet.jpg
Allied Map -Snippet.jpg (185.24 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
As can be seen not only are some of the units different colors, but have different flags and icons too. That is because they are of a different nationality. There are Poles, Canadians, British (shown on the picture) and Americans (not shown). These are all controlled by the same player, and are not different regimes. So only one login required, if playing with passwords.

Here is a view of the map for the Modern Shogun scenario:
Modern Shogun Map.jpg
Modern Shogun Map.jpg (334.53 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Yes, I know Japan is on it's side. This was for consideration of the size of the map. Japan is shaped in a way, when put north-south that it will fill a lot more on a map. Instead of a lot of empty ocean, that would really only serve as filler, and slow the game turns down, I chose this solution. It's still quite a big map.

Below is a picture of a comparison of units. Notice how GaryChildress' graphics really look very cool!
Modern Shogun Unit Compare.jpg
Modern Shogun Unit Compare.jpg (146.8 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
That's it for now :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Looks great ! I'm definitely not enough qualified to be a tester and I don't play solo but I'm sure soon enough I will want to pbem this. Nice map !
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I'll help you test it
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

nukkxx5058 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:20 pm Looks great ! I'm definitely not enough qualified to be a tester and I don't play solo but I'm sure soon enough I will want to pbem this. Nice map !
Thanks for your interest and thanks for the comment on the map :) Hopefully some time later we might get a game :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

lion_of_judah wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:43 pm I'll help you test it
Err... You already have one of the scenarios.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

I can help.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Sorry. I already finished these. :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

No trouble
SwifferDuster

Post by SwifferDuster »

I see that you already finished these so no testing needed, but are they released?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

No.

The reason is that there was a disagreement (between Erich and me) about which folders the graphics could be in. I wanted the scenarios to be somewhat semi official, that is distributed with the Phoenix patches. That meant I would need to redo all the graphics, manually. I used quite a lot of them, so that was to me, not really an option. Maybe some day I'll get the urge to publish. Until then, no. they won't be available.

I also made a third of these scenarios, that would have been about the invasion of southern France, which coincided with the invasion of Normandy. It isn't a subject covered very well.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”