AT PHOENIX WISHLIST

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

budd

AT PHOENIX WISHLIST

Post by budd »

Read the post about the new beta so reinstalled ATG to look around and start new game. Its been a long while since I've played, it was usually the micromanagement that keeps me away, especially mid to late game.

Couple of things struck me immediately upon starting a new random game that would be good for ATG. Since there doesn't appear to be a thread for suggestions and wishes :D thought I'd start one.

I own all Vic's games and actually DCWTP was my favorite until DCA came along.

Stealing an idea from the DC series a suggestion would be to make the lower and side panels retract like DCA so more of the map will show. I've haven't played in a while so if there's a way or hotkey now to make the UI go away and just show map I don't know it. I still think retractable info panels would be great even if there was a hotkey.

Another suggestion would be some kind of commanders report that you could make adjustments through, for maybe changing unit's HQ, setting production of cities, so on and so forth. might help the lessen the micro. I started a new random game with cities and lots of starting units, infantry/engineers. My HQ was separated from the bulk of my troops by water. I had to make another HQ and then go about changing all the units HQ' and setting production for all the cities to the new HQ. That's was a lot of clicking. Changing HQ for units as an example. Click unit, select set HQ, select list, select HQ. You cannot then go right to another unit to change that units HQ, you have to back out and start this pattern all over again for each unit. I haven't played in years so maybe there is another way i don't know?

Steam workshop would be great, as I don't think a lot of Steam players will use Vic's scenario bank.

ATG is a great game but the micro kills a bit of the fun. If you could lessen the micro that would be stupendous and make a lot of people come back to the game. If I think of more suggestions as I play I post it.

Question, is it possible to use the map graphics lion of judah used in the 1835 scenario for random games. Those look like Warsaw to Paris map graphics.

It's nice that ATG is getting worked on again. Been around the forums for years and am aware of the contributions to ATG of the Phoenix team, looks like they picked the right people. I wish you luck. Bring on Platinum.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Bombur

Re: AT PHOENIX WISHLIST

Post by Bombur »

A few wishes
-Is that possible to allow for ship recovery only when they are at port? It could simulate damaged ships
-Is that possible to create a physical limit for an airbase (instead of penalties) and then to have different airbase sizes?
budd

Post by budd »

How about having an attack planning window like the DC games. I'd just say putting some or as many as possible of the QOL improvements from the latest DC game would be great. Don't really know what's possible to upgrade for a platinum version.

If no planning attack window is possible how about an option to click list and select the units you want to participate in the attack. The "list" option is available for HQ switching.

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

My current wish list:

1) incorporate the delayed war mod as a game option from the settings screen
2) incorporate the ability to set alliances from the settings screen
3) NATO counters option including for the AI
4) ability to set screenshot size from settings screen
5) auto save game option using some form of regime name and month/year
6) improve random game road building (i.e. avoid a resource hex with a road to another regime and not to your regime)

The less you must go into the editor to set basic game options or fix roads the better.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Thanks for the post and the ideas. We are looking at both how to improve the current experience as well as what a next step could be. So, all input is helpful.

The diplomatic block should be easy as a variant. And I think getting a variant to do NATO symbols can be done. I think I need to build some checks and execs to do this though. It is something that would likely be done in an event starting the random game, either as a variant or as a setting. Basically, the SFT symbols have to be switched. I'll look into what it would take. I have a list of stuff to do.

I agree with the roads problem in the random games. This has also annoyed me. And that if you use two road networks you can find your capital isn't connected. That will take more time to figure out.

But we welcome all input, and we'll see where it goes!
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I would like to be able to save maps that we make, in order to use them for another scenario, instead of starting from scratch. Like dccp does..
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Would like events easier too make, kind of along the lines of TOAW IV
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

lion_of_judah wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 am Would like events easier too make, kind of along the lines of TOAW IV
For those of us not having TOAW IV, could you explain more in detail?
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

here is the event window for TOAW IV. This event is a powerful tool if used correctly
Attachments
TOAW IV Event window.jpg
TOAW IV Event window.jpg (434.37 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

here is the drop down box, when you right click on the turn button in the event window.
Attachments
TOAW IV event window 2.jpg
TOAW IV event window 2.jpg (448.9 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

here is window 3, for TOAW IV event maker. Here you right click on the middle box and choose what event you want too make.
Attachments
TOAW IV Event window 3.jpg
TOAW IV Event window 3.jpg (465.14 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

There should be a patch sometime today, or soon, depending on when Vic can get to it. Ask, and you shall receive. There is anow a variant to have NATO counters in Rising Dawn. It uses NATO counters I made. It is accessed like a normal variant, click the button before clicking "Start". I do it with an event that replaces the counter sprites as the game starts. This was the easiest way. The only other way would be to add a second counter. UGH. The NATO counters are black on white. For experts, you can change this with the event - the names of the sprites are stored in a stringlist, but the directory path is in the event.

I also added a directory to use the NATO counters I made for the TOE system.

I also added the delayed war mod as a variant, although I modified the start to be a bit dependent on the size of the map.

Other things:
1. Volume control sliders on the preference screen
2. Selection of the screenshot resolution on the preference screen.
3. A tweak to AI combat - it should be a bit more efficient using the stacking limit.
4. And a few bug fixes.

If it passes some of Vic's checks, it should be up soon.

Thanks for the feedback and hopefully I won't here too many bug reports.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
FirstPappy

Post by FirstPappy »

Advanced Tactics Platinum has arrived ;)
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
budd

Post by budd »

Thanks, I assume you will have to start a new game for the changes to be effective? Also will this be release for the Steam version at the same time?

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

budd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:07 pm Also will this be release for the Steam version at the same time?
It should release on Steam at the same time, yes.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
budd

Post by budd »

Couple of more things occurred to me while playing that would be nice. It would be nice to copy a TOE template in the designer and add/subtract, rename instead of starting from scratch every time. Adding PP to the resource report, how much you gain, where you spent it, how your going to earn this turn with current settings, something along those lines.

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Budd, when you create a TOE template, you can export it and then reuse it later for a new game by importing. Attached is my current TOE template for RisingDawn.
budd wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:53 pm Couple of more things occurred to me while playing that would be nice. It would be nice to copy a TOE template in the designer and add/subtract, rename instead of starting from scratch every time. Adding PP to the resource report, how much you gain, where you spent it, how your going to earn this turn with current settings, something along those lines.
Right click and 'save link as' to your savedgames folder. Remove the .txt extension.
Attachments
RDTOENATO.atgtoe.txt
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

New wish list item:

Create a separate folder for TOE templates instead of having the game auto looking in the savedgames folder. Maybe a folder named 'savedtoe' or 'TOE Templates.'
Last edited by Tac2i on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
budd

Post by budd »

Tac2i wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:47 pm Budd, when you create a TOE template, you can export it and then reuse it later for a new game by importing. Attached is my current TOE template for RisingDawn.
budd wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:53 pm Couple of more things occurred to me while playing that would be nice. It would be nice to copy a TOE template in the designer and add/subtract, rename instead of starting from scratch every time. Adding PP to the resource report, how much you gain, where you spent it, how your going to earn this turn with current settings, something along those lines.
Right click and 'save link as' to your savedgames folder. Remove the .txt extension.
Yes sir, that's the one I imported and I'm currently using, but if I want to adjust one of your TOE units in my current game but keep the original I don't see a way to do it, no copy function.

Thanks for the template.

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Budd, in the TOE Designer simply export your modified TOE template and give it a new name.
budd wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:53 pm Yes sir, that's the one I imported and I'm currently using, but if I want to adjust one of your TOE units in my current game but keep the original I don't see a way to do it, no copy function.

Thanks for the template.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”