ATG College - First season finished!

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

rome87

RE: ATG College

Post by rome87 »

Can we have some lessons on the combat mechanics staking,good unit formation templates etc in the game ?
roy64

Post by roy64 »

Someone should update the link none of them are working. [&:]
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Try this link:

http://www.vrdesigns.net/?p=165

It directs you to the first lesson, with a link to the next one on the top of the page.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
roy64

Post by roy64 »

Thank you, I can't believe I missed that page I've looked all over the vrdesigns website.
roy64

Post by roy64 »

They're well worth a read & very informative.
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

They looked familiar so I looked and they are in the AdvancedTacticsGold_StrategyGuide.pdf included with the game (in Manuals folder).
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Ah yes, they are there too. Forgot about that :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
roy64

Post by roy64 »

That's strange I don't have the AdvancedTacticsGold_StrategyGuide.pdf in my manuals folder.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Tac2i

Re armored assault gun: Learned something. I thought the AG was basically a mobile infantry gun used to increase the combat power of infantry assaulting other infantry, especially those well entrenched. Didn't realize it was an anti-tank unit. How does the Assault Gun differ from the Tank Destroyer?

Edit: After further research these AGs were indeed use to kill tanks as well as blast enemy fortifications. The Soviet SU-152 could literally blow the turret off a Tiger tank.
As I understand it, infantry support against entrenched/fortified enemy was assault gun's original role before heavy tanks came along (at least for Germany as France & Soviet Union already had heavy tanks for the job). Early StuG III had short 75 mm gun with strong HE round, but it didn't cut it against T-34. Later StuGs (assault gun II) had longer 75 mm gun with weaker HE round, but were capable of putting AP round through T-34.

What comes to tank destroyers, I understand those were primarily defensive weapons. I have read about America's Tank Destroyer doctrine and watched some videos (including official training video made by Army). What I remember, tank destroyer unit is supposed to move in to intercept and AMBUSH advancing enemy tanks from a DEFENSIVE POSITION. Tank destroyer units suffered heavy casualties when officers used them in attacks according to tank doctrine manuals. I understand Germany used their tank destroyers in similar ways. Early German tank destroyers were converted light tanks with big guns on open topped turrets. Increased weight of heavy weapon reduced vehicle's speed and weak armour of light tank meant vehicle didn't cut it in attacks against tanks. Their tank destroyer III (Jagdpanther) and IV (Jagdtiger) based on the "Big Cats" were tough and powerful, when they didn't break down under their own weight.

Based on the information I have about tank destroyers, I find it odd and outright incorrect that Strategy Guide recommends to use game's Tankdestroyer to attack enemy tanks. Would it have been better and more to the point to use Tankdestroyer in situations where there isn't enough time to move truck drawn AT guns AND entrench them too?

[edit]
Another error is in aircraft part. (Dive) bombers weren't effective against tanks. Thorough studies on destroyed tanks indicate that immediate post-action reports were greatly exaggerated. Many destroyed tanks attributed to aircraft were in fact broken down and then destroyed by tanks own crews. The destructive effectiveness of aircraft against ground forces have been exaggerated in general. But they were effective against trucks and morale. Maybe against supplies and readiness too, but that is me guessing. I can provide references if you want them.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

What comes to tank destroyers, I understand those were primarily defensive weapons. I have read about America's Tank Destroyer doctrine and watched some videos (including official training video made by Army). What I remember, tank destroyer unit is supposed to move in to intercept and AMBUSH advancing enemy tanks from a DEFENSIVE POSITION. Tank destroyer units suffered heavy casualties when officers used them in attacks according to tank doctrine manuals. I understand Germany used their tank destroyers in similar ways. Early German tank destroyers were converted light tanks with big guns on open topped turrets. Increased weight of heavy weapon reduced vehicle's speed and weak armour of light tank meant vehicle didn't cut it in attacks against tanks. Their tank destroyer III (Jagdpanther) and IV (Jagdtiger) based on the "Big Cats" were tough and powerful, when they didn't break down under their own weight.

Based on the information I have about tank destroyers, I find it odd and outright incorrect that Strategy Guide recommends to use game's Tankdestroyer to attack enemy tanks. Would it have been better and more to the point to use Tankdestroyer in situations where there isn't enough time to move truck drawn AT guns AND entrench them too?

The heavier tank destroyers were actually used differently, as they too had an offensive role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bj1Tm7YNrs
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Some people may not know this, but you can use Adobe Acrobat as a web browser; meaning you can quickly turn a site's content into offline reading material.
(of course there's always the actual guide).

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

I realize it's been 11 years, but...are these lessons still available somewhere?
If not, I totally understand. I've done stuff more recently that I couldn't find today to save my life.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The first (of 12) lessons is here:

https://www.vrdesigns.net/?p=165

You can see the rest by just going for newer and newer posts.

I believe there is a pdf of it, somewhere. I am still looking for it.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Took a little while. Matrix has made it's website function differently from before, so I had to do some trickery.

You can download the Zip file, that contains the "lessons" here:

http://ftp.us.matrixgames.com/pub/Advan ... yGuide.zip
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”