Supply system for newbies

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

elmo3

RE: Supply system for newbies

Post by elmo3 »

Thanks for this zook08.

Unfortunately I must agree with montarakid about the manual. It is lacking a lot of information about how to play the game. I'm surprised Matrix did not give it an overhaul before the game was released.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
R.E.LEE

Post by R.E.LEE »

Wow i just ordered this game today,and now im worried about the info in the manual,the forum is full of ? that these guys should really be able to find answers to in the manual.I sure hope its not as bad as it sounds here,the game itself looks like a lifetime winner.anyhow thanks to the guy who took the time to write about the supply,very well done,and plz carry on with anything that the manual neglects to give info on,as im really looking forward to fighting against you guys.[:'(]
parusski

Post by parusski »

After reading zook08's great tutorial on supply the way I played and understood the game changed greatly. Kudo's to zook, shame on Matirxs' manual.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

Question: what is the maximum supply distance from an HQ with cargoships in it to a naval formation? I noticed that sometimes I have to make a chain of naval formations in order to keep the furthest one supplied, even when the enemy has not touched my shipping lanes.

EDIT: I figured it out now. There is no automatic resupply on the oceans. Naval formations must be in port, or the HQ must manually give them supplies.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
explorer2

Floating HQ possible?

Post by explorer2 »

I'm starting a WaW game as the Allies and there's a 25% distance penalty for supplies crossing the pond between Toronto and London. I of course would like to avoid this.
Is there any way to put an HQ unit on a cargo ship and sit it out in the ocean somewhere, making Toronto have Floating HQ as its HQ, and having Floating HQ's HQ be London?

I've tried and tried to load an HQ unit (even totally empty ones, so weight/carry capacity does not seem to be the issue) onto cargo ships (1,2,and 4) and AT won't let me do it.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Jeffrey H.

RE: Floating HQ possible?

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Not sure what the issue is with loading HQ's into ships, I do it all the time. Did you check to see if some SFT's are in those HQ's ? Sometimes the game engine will dump a cargo ship or levelbomber in your HQ without you knowing and then you can't load it. If it truly is a "bare" HQ and has enough AP, (both the unit and the ship) then I can't see why it wouldn't work.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Not sure what the issue is with loading HQ's into ships, I do it all the time. Did you check to see if some SFT's are in those HQ's ? Sometimes the game engine will dump a cargo ship or levelbomber in your HQ without you knowing and then you can't load it. If it truly is a "bare" HQ and has enough AP, (both the unit and the ship) then I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Action points in HQ and Cargo ship. Hadn't thought of that. Do you know how many are required in each to load it? And once loaded, will I be able to transfer supplies from A (on land) to B (floating) to C (on land again)?

Thanks for the quick response.

parusski

Post by parusski »

I had never thought of that either. Maybe someone will soon let us know.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

Great post! You actually had me laughing while reading it-if only the manual did that for me!  By the way, has the manual ever been updated or is it still exactly the same as when the game was first released?  I'm pretty sure the BoA guys updated their manuals every time they made changes to the game.
Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

ORIGINAL: zook08

Think of your Supply being moved in abstracted little trucks. These trucks have a maximum of 250 AP for their movement from the HQ to the subordinate units. An open hex ("plains") costs 20 AP, road hexes costs only 10, heavy forest costs 50 AP etc. Sea hexes cost only 1 AP (I think).
Road hexes costs 1 AP for free supply transfer. 10 AP on road hexes costs manual transfer.
82ndtrooper

Post by 82ndtrooper »

great post, funny and lots of help

thanks for taking the time to write it.
HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

I just got the download copy of the game a few days ago. The manual appears to have large gaps in it, many options arent listed, so I am assuming these were patched in, and the manual wasnt updated.
 And I have to agree, by far one of the worst manuals I have seen for a wargame. I have seen a lot of bad manuals in other types of games, but this is the first manual for a wargame that doesnt bother to list half of the things that are absolute MUSTS to be able to play the game.
  Fortunately the game is very good and its worth overlooking this problem, especially with the help Vic and community members constantly seem to give.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I don´t think that loading a HQ onto a ship will allow you to transfer supply from it. I recently played a WaW v32 game, and i at one point loaded my african HQ onto a freighter and sent it from egypt to the far side of libya. The next turn, all my units, under that HQ where out of supplies. So i don't think you can load up a HQ and make it redistribute supply from a ship.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

4.1.3 And bridges, you want to control those as well, and keep them built, or your supply gets worse as well. Missing bridges can easily cause supplies to get rerouted a worse way or even worse, not get there at all. I experienced this with the big rivers in russia in WaW (v32) where i had a HQ on one side of the river, with half of its units, in good supply, and on the other half of the river, without good supplies. Bridges are really something you want to keep.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Thank you for taking the time to write this tutorial post. It was well written, entertaining and has greatly furthered my understanding of the game.

The concept of "manual modding" is a good one too. Perhaps all the tutorials should be collected together.
poop17

Post by poop17 »

Great post! I learn so much !! thanks for zook08
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

The concept of "manual modding" is a good one too. Perhaps all the tutorials should be collected together.

Hopefully the AT Gold manual will be the ultimate manual mod.
AlanBernardo

Post by AlanBernardo »

Hello!

Is there somewhere or some calculation that is used to determine how much supply particular units use? For instance, I have 30 Infantry. How much supply will they use? Or I have 40 Light Tanks. How much supply do Light Tanks use? By "use" I mean what a unit might use to be in full readiness, etc.

Alan

sjadow

Post by sjadow »

Thanks much... This is very helpful
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you, zook, for the amazingly detailed tutorial on supply.

I apologize for resurrecting this nearly three year old thread. I just wanted to say that I agree this manual is next to useless for explaining "how to play the game". I had to post a message just to learn how to do something as basic as building a unit, and how to put troops into a new empty unit I created. This stuff should be explained!!

I cannot believe that a game of this complexity would have such a poor manual. And the developer is so active on this forum and the Steam forum. Why isn't he improving this manual so new players can actually understand how to play this game?!? I get so frustrated with poor wargame manuals. We are paying top dollar for these games, we should have a manual that teaches us the game.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”