Supply system for newbies

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Kuokkanen

RE: Supply system for newbies

Post by Kuokkanen »

I hoped I could manually transfer supplies to units OTHER THAN HQ so that unit could operate outside of supply range provided by HQs. I mean that horse carts would carry supplies instead of personnel, and thus unit could spend more turns outside of effective supply routes. No can do?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

While it is not possible to send supplies to land or air units directly, it is possible to send them to sea units. You can park it in a port, and send it supplies, or use shipping to send it while it is at sea. You can also drop air supplies on a unit, so that it gets supplies that way.

In some mods, there are units that carry extra supplies. This is not a feature of the non-modded game, but could be for a scenario too.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

So if map is a ton of jungle (I'm playing it) with little RAW to build roads, then I should use HQ with horses packed with supplies for exploration. What is weight of supply, or how many supplies max can HQ move with? Or multiple HQs with short intervals to keep supplies flowing. Only to find & secure next RAW source to build roads more efficiently. Do I have the right idea? I know resource hexes can be upgraded and I have done so. Maybe air supply would be the way to go after all. My reasoning for wet tropical non-ocean random map was to stall AI as much as possible, thus give me more turns to figure the game & supply system out.

1 more thing if you can answer it. What does 1 sub-formation represent? Is it a platoon/battery or a company? How many should I have in a battalion, regiment, brigade, division, squadron, or wing?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

As you have gathered roads are very important for supply. Keep plenty of trucks in HQ, and add road connections as you can. If you have rail connections then make sure you have trains. Playing on a jungle map is a good way to frustrate your supply task, but you know that already.

You can send supplies a good distance but it is unwise to have a single supply source.

A single infantry point is probably a company in most games, but it can vary by the scenario. In GD1938, which I play almost exclusively, the company seems the best match. The scenario designer will often publish the scale in the notes.

I hope this helps, and will try and come up with answers as your questions arise.

Chuck
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

If you have rail connections then make sure you have trains.
As I recall, manual says that engineers build both roads and railroads at the same time. And I see it to be the case as I have played the game. (No roads when I started)
The scenario designer will often publish the scale in the notes.
Let's see... Nothing about unit scale under Statistics/Brief [&:] But there is this:
Created with the masterfile: generic.at2

So far, in addition of the starting HQ, I have made 2 new HQs. One is subordinate of Supreme HQ and I use it as supply depot. Second HQ is subordinate of supply depot HQ and I use it as division HQ, keeping it close to its combat units so they get to have HQP. Screenshot for a reference with supply route from Supreme HQ to cavalry unit (subordinated to depot HQ near middle because changing HQ to closer division HQ would drop readiness). Am I doing it right?

It seems to me that 1 carry capacity = 10 supply points. How many trucks do I need for division HQ with REQ/SEND OUT of 206 supply points? 2 trucks I presume, with 200 supply points per truck? Would more trucks in HQ increase supply range? Does movement and combat increase supply consumption beyond recovering readiness?

I got jungles and swamp while AI got fields and plains

MekWars
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Code: Select all

I got jungles and swamp while AI got fields and plains
When I play solo I never hesitate to re-roll the map. I will go into the editor to adjust terrain also.

After playing often enough you learn what features will give you the game you want, I like naval conflict, and sometimes I need a peninsula to be an island.

I build the map I want to play. I forget the details quick enough that fog of war still works for the map.

I will not do this all the time. Sometimes I want a certain map and sometimes I'll take what is given.

Chuck
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

So far, in addition of the starting HQ, I have made 2 new HQs. One is subordinate of Supreme HQ and I use it as supply depot. Second HQ is subordinate of supply depot HQ and I use it as division HQ, keeping it close to its combat units so they get to have HQP. Screenshot for a reference with supply route from Supreme HQ to cavalry unit (subordinated to depot HQ near middle because changing HQ to closer division HQ would drop readiness). Am I doing it right?
I forgot to attach the screenshot!
Here it is THIS time. How bad have I messed up?

Attachments
ATG1.jpg
ATG1.jpg (380.87 KiB) Viewed 894 times

MekWars
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

One thing I like to do is attach the supply sources, including the capitol to the HQ worth 122 and them move the Supreme HQ to that city. No particular reason to have that extra distance for the rest of the game.

That is a lot of green!

Chuck
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have gone with an assumption that 1 sub-formation = 1 company/battery. With this assumption I have made a number of regiments with around a dozen sub-formations each. Up to 6 regiments (3 inf + arty, rec, and cav regiments) are subordinated under a division HQ, which are within 5 hexes from HQ most of the time. I REALLY need an answer to this: how many trucks do I need in a division HQ to distribute supplies? Assume sup.req = # for 6 formations up to 4 hexes from HQ in jungle, swamp, and low mountains, and further along the roads.

I have noticed that artillery regiment with 12 batteries (artillery sub-formations) does hefty amount of damage. Should I break it up to 3 battalions (4 arty sub-formations each + horses)? Would eat up political points and I have new division to raise and research to do...

MekWars
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The number of trucks, horses, or any other formation that you might think of, does not increase the supply range of a HQ. It is assumed that the HQ is using abstracted ones already. What might help you is that chaining HQs together will allow you to have the supply range increased from that one. Each HQ so to speak has the same abilities as the Top one.

I noticed that you might not be calculating with this, as the supply route you've chosen to show is from off map, to the furthest unit of the Yellowish (122) HQ. It would be better to meassure it from the HQ that the units are assigned to.

Also I noticed that you infantry unit, on the lower half of the map is assigned to the purplish (34) HQ, and thus has a longer supply route than it might get other wise, if shifted to the yellowish (122) HQ.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I have noticed that artillery regiment with 12 batteries (artillery sub-formations) does hefty amount of damage. Should I break it up to 3 battalions (4 arty sub-formations each + horses)? Would eat up political points and I have new division to raise and research to do...

In general, you have to think economically with what you use your PPs for. At least that is the way I see it. If you find that 3 artillery in 4 units is the way for you, then do that, but realize you just used 1 extra PP for each formation (1 formation costs 1 PP to build), so you used 3 more than if you had them in 1 unit. On the other hand, if you find you need artillery more places than you have, 12 artillery might be on the heavy side..
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I use the supply layer button to see the sometimes complex interaction of supply and terrain. If my strategic demands call for a move into poor supply areas I move a HQ that way. I put trucks where needed to get the supply needed.

I don't think an answer to "how many trucks do I need in a division HQ to distribute supplies?" is a simple number. "You need enough" may not be a satisfying answer but it is how I do it.

Cargo trucks are valuable in multiple ways. I like having plenty.

Chuck
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Cargo trucks are valuable in multiple ways. I like having plenty.
Indeed. One eats 20 supply each turn. Did somebody say that trucks aren't needed for free supply delivery?

MekWars
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

"Somebody" did say that. Even a HQ with nothing in it will receive and send out supplies.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”