Tip for conquering minors

Post Strategy Guides and share gameplay tips here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Jimmer

Tip for conquering minors

Post by Jimmer »

In 1.02, if two powers both are in the capital of a minor nation, the one who gets there first wins. I believe this creates a problem, but it's one that can be rectified. Here's a scenario:

- There are no wars between major powers other than GB and France.
- Prussia declares war on Gottingen
- GB receives Gottingen because of the die rolling
- France, being at war with GB, is the first one to break into the city and win
- Prussia loses out

This may seem odd, but this is apparently the way it works now. But, in human games, there is a diplomatic way to get out of this: Simply ask any of your allies who are at war with someone who can reach the minor (Gottingen, above) to uncheck the box for controlling that minor. This would need to be discussed, though, BEFORE the diplomacy phase, because your ally may have already gone.

From now on, whenever I'm playing GB, I intend to uncheck all of the nations between Prussia/Austria and France, just so France doesn't get control.

NOTE: This could apply to any other major power, but it almost always applies to GB and France. Of course, France usually doesn't care, since she is normally just waiting for a chance to go to war.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
Ralegh

RE: Tip for conquering minors

Post by Ralegh »

I agree that your workaround is a good idea, and that posting it here was a cool thing to do - but the behaviour you describe is a BUG imho.

Could you find or create a save file just before this incident occurs, and post it in a bug report on the Tech Support forum please?

What SHOULD be happening in 1.02 is that the major power who is at war with the controlling power [but didn't DOW the minor themselves] should NOT be able to conquer the minor.

Ideally they should not be able to fight the forces of the minor, but this is a known deviation. [They should be able to enter the territory, attack enemy depots, etc.]

HTH
Steve/Ralegh
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

This was written at 1.02b, so it may no longer apply. I'll try to set up the scenario again (it used to happen 4-5 times per game in the first year or so, if playing a central power.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
bresh

Post by bresh »

Question.
Did GB and Prussia ally in same phase ?
Maybe its sequence of Alliances & DOW ? Since Allies dont get to try control minors you DOW, unless they have them influensed, and none neutral/war with you want control.

Regarss
Bresh

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

There is still an unresolved bug:
L19 LAND PHASE
Problem: When a major power garrisons a minor country first and then a common enemy of that minor country was to garrison that minor AFTER the first, the program gives immediate control to the second major power and will eventually allow the newcomer to steal the conquest.
File: Stealing conquests.sav

This prompted quite a bit of discussion. I'm curious to see the fix and what the rewritten rule will say.

Monadman hasn't updated anything since March 27. Maybe this has been resolved?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer

Return to “The War Room”