Monroe - AAR

Share your glorious victories and ignominious defeats with the rest of the EIA community here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

trw2264

RE: Monroe - AAR

Post by trw2264 »

The begining of a new game is usually the busiest for everyone, so I can see the game moving quicker when the true French ruler is returned to his throne. [:)]
Murat

Post by Murat »

Yes I am sure those 2 cossacks you sent to aid your allies in their defense will turn the tables. They surely must be relieved that the might of Russia has arrived in their borders [:D]
trw2264

Post by trw2264 »

The winter of 1805 proved to be longer than anticipated, so Russian troops were slow in moving out of her winter quarters. Thankfully the Cossacks were volunteered to plow the road ahead of the main Russian troop columns.
Lord Wolsey

Post by Lord Wolsey »

The true cause?  The Prussian border guards were still imposing a ban on all vodka imports and thus the Russians emptied all their stocks, into their bellies.  There was one hell of a party and the only beasts left on their feet were the horses of the cossacks.  The riders tied themselves to their mounts and pointed the snouts West crying "March to the sound of the polka bands. There be brautwurst for the first man to shake hands with Blucher, now hand me a bucket." 
Whites of there eyes and the sweat on their brows. When they fall, pick their pockets clean.
Murat

Post by Murat »

Just a brief update: War continues between France and Austria/Britain/Prussia/Russia. Spain has joined in against Prussia. Turkey against Austria. This month of campaigning should prove quite interesting.
Lord Wolsey

Post by Lord Wolsey »

I have to scream "treachery!"  I'd never anything but kind words for our Spanish allies.  Maybe he's sore that I didn't lend him troops for his North African invasion.

I have to admit I was a little shocked that Spain would declare on Prussia, other than trying to ride on France's coat tails.  By the time they get troops overland, Paris will have fallen and I can turn the full fury of the Prussian army upon him.

Whites of there eyes and the sweat on their brows. When they fall, pick their pockets clean.
ess1

Post by ess1 »

Go to it you peace-loving devils[;)]

Enjoying reports. More pics. appreciated.
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

Turkey invades Austria, some corps thrown back by Insurrection units.

Attachments
turks.jpg
turks.jpg (201.89 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

Will Treiste fall to the Turks?

Attachments
trieste.jpg
trieste.jpg (219.27 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

Egypt--- Turks are finding it a tough road to plow.

Attachments
egypt.jpg
egypt.jpg (208.39 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Very Proud Marine Dad
Lord Wolsey

Post by Lord Wolsey »

A few small things brewing in the northern front. Russia comes to the aid of GB. Prussia destroys the Denmark corps. Cossacks milling about looking for action.

Attachments
NorthernFront.jpg
NorthernFront.jpg (228.17 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Lord Wolsey

Post by Lord Wolsey »

France is still to move. The Central front is taking shape and Charles is holding the line in the mountains.

Attachments
CentralFront.jpg
CentralFront.jpg (229.31 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Sandeman

Post by Sandeman »

Well I can say that quick combat + redoing your turns is not going to work in EiA. Yes, Nap attacked Charles in the mountains...perfectly outpicked him Outflank vs Defend (of course getting the outflank roll) and then rolled a 4 a 5 and a 6 on the pursuit annihilating the Austrian army and taking virtually no FR losses. FR of course has won every single battle they have initiated, and just about every siege attempt.

Notice in the SS in the next battle a lone FR corps picks ESCALATED assault vs a russian CORDON led by Kutusov (and i believe some GB forces) and of course breaks the Russians and gets a GREAT pursuit roll. Totally ridiculous.

Sorry but I'm not going to play in a game where it's obvious that the attacker can win whatever large fight they choose simply by replaying the combat turn until getting a crushing victory.

Attachments
FRBS.jpg
FRBS.jpg (147.41 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Murat

Post by Murat »

[1] Look at the rolls: I got a 2,4,5 to your 1,4,5. Same with Russia 3,5 his 3,6 mine. Sorry if I get an extra point on the die over the course of an entire battle. If you have a problem with the chits I picked I would be happy to explain those as well. Outflank in the mountain is unexpected, I count on the computer to not be ready for that. If I was wrong I could commit my guard and hope for weak pursuit. Esc Ass was an attrition move. I just wanted to cause casualties with an army that will starve in a few months. 

[2] There is no way to replay a battle. The games are somehow coded and there is no save option specifically to prevent this.

[3] If you have found a way to cheat, please report it as a bug.

If you want out that is fine, we will find another.
Lord Wolsey

Post by Lord Wolsey »

"[2] There is no way to replay a battle. The games are somehow coded and there is no save option specifically to prevent this. "

Can we have one of the Game Designers validate this?  I think it's important for the integrity of the game, this and all the others taking place. 

I'm not weighing in one way or the other, but couldn't someone back-up their save file in another folder and if the combat goes ugly, then reload the backup file?
Sandeman

Post by Sandeman »

[1] Look at the rolls: I got a 2,4,5 to your 1,4,5. Same with Russia 3,5 his 3,6 mine. Sorry if I get an extra point on the die over the course of an entire battle.

Irrelevant since in all three major battles this game you have perfectly outpicked the opponent's chit, so your "4" is obviously more devastating than their "4"
Outflank in the mountain is unexpected, I count on the computer to not be ready for that

Yeah except that I expected you to perfectly outpick me in case of an attack so I designated Charles to pick "defend" knowing the only way to destroy my army is to pick outflank and have it succeed. Of course it happened, and a 7 on pursuit also just happened.
[2] There is no way to replay a battle. The games are somehow coded and there is no save option specifically to prevent this.

Really? You haven't read the forums then? It's quite easy to do vs the AI in single player games...I would assume it's no different in PBEM. The game doesn't autosave until Land Combat phase is done.

Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: Lord Wolsey

"[2] There is no way to replay a battle. The games are somehow coded and there is no save option specifically to prevent this. "

Can we have one of the Game Designers validate this?  I think it's important for the integrity of the game, this and all the others taking place. 

I'm not weighing in one way or the other, but couldn't someone back-up their save file in another folder and if the combat goes ugly, then reload the backup file?

We have not implemented anything to prevent the copy-paste function from being used by those who feel compelled to replay a turn before sending it to the other members of the group.

The measures that were taken were to help prevent out of sync errors that can corrupt saved game files when players attempt to replay a turn that was already sent to the other members of the group.

Richard
BoerWar

Post by BoerWar »

ORIGINAL: Monadman

We have not implemented anything to prevent the copy-paste function from being used by those who feel compelled to replay a turn before sending it to the other members of the group.

The measures that were taken were to help prevent out of sync errors that can corrupt saved game files when players attempt to replay a turn that was already sent to the other members of the group.

Richard

Would it be possible to code it so that the phasing player has to make chit picks for each stack going into combat at the end of the "land movement" phase and then autosave it prior to the "land combat" phase (similar to what the defending player already does with auto-combat)?
Murat

Post by Murat »

ORIGINAL: Sandeman
Yeah except that I expected you to perfectly outpick me in case of an attack so I designated Charles to pick "defend" knowing the only way to destroy my army is to pick outflank and have it succeed. Of course it happened, and a 7 on pursuit also just happened.

OK I just picked thinking that Outflank would be unexpected, you actually picked your chit so this is not even a case of the AI doing you wrong, which is what I thought you were implying happened to you. How do you set your chit picks by the way?

Really? You haven't read the forums then? It's quite easy to do vs the AI in single player games...I would assume it's no different in PBEM. The game doesn't autosave until Land Combat phase is done.

Well my computer doesn't allow me to save, just load the turns of other players and send out the turns it generates from mine.
ORIGINAL: Monadman

Can we have one of the Game Designers validate this? I think it's important for the integrity of the game, this and all the others taking place.

Richard

Not sure what this part means but it seems to indicate that if someone tries to replay a turn they will cause an out of synch error? [&:]
Would it be possible to code it so that the phasing player has to make chit picks for each stack going into combat at the end of the "land movement" phase and then autosave it prior to the "land combat" phase (similar to what the defending player already does with auto-combat)?

This is fine too. How do you set these?
Lord Wolsey

Post by Lord Wolsey »

It seems that in auto-combat, if the chits are selected for the defender, so it should be with the attacker.  For example, the London debacle in our game where France attacked with one corps and the computer picked cordon for defense.  Of course any intelligent French player isn't going to pick outflank with one corps, so the defender had a disadvantage of an idiot AI where-as the attacker did not. 

Ideally, It seems this game would run smoother if there was a server site where the game moves and saves were done on a nuetral computer.  Likewise a combat chit preferrences could be chosen for each player on a menu of options, i.e.   If one corps is fighting overwhelming odds, select x, if one corp is fighting one to two corps select x, if two or more corps are fighting with a leader, select x. 

Return to “After Action Reports”