Units at war in the same space will not engage.

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

RichWall

Units at war in the same space will not engage.

Post by RichWall »

Check out Madrid. French and Spanish troops do not seem to think they are at war when they clearly are. Also, if cycled to the next turn anyway, then the troops cease to be able to move at all. (stuck in the ZOC)

Single player game - French Human, EiA v1.23.08

Thanks much,

Rich
Attachments
Fralt3.sav.zip
(307.96 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
pzgndr

RE: Units at war in the same space will not engage.

Post by pzgndr »

I see what you're saying. No French land combat during March 1811 in Madrid. Odd. I advanced your game (you gave me the Eco Phase turn) to the April 1811 land combat phase and fought a battle:
1811, Apr France WINS BATTLE Of Madrid
1811, Apr Spain Loses 3 PP
1811, Apr Portugal Gains 3 PP
1811, Apr Fr Napoleon PSA Bonus +1 PP To France
1811, Apr France Gains 3 PP
1811, Apr IIId Depot Surrenders To France
1811, Apr Spain I Guard Corps Was ELIMINATED.
1811, Apr <ROLLS RESET>
1811, Apr Spain Pursuit Losses: 3 Infantry 1 Cavalry
1811, Apr France Pursuit: Class:4 Die:2 Mod:0 Net:2 Perc Loss:10
1811, Apr Spain Breaks, France Pursuit!
1811, Apr Spain Casualties: 20 Infantry 1 Cavalry
1811, Apr France Casualties:
1811, Apr R3: Spain Die 1, Perc 0, Mrl 0.00
1811, Apr R3: France Die 4, Perc 10, Mrl 1.00
1811, Apr Spain Casualties: 31 Infantry
1811, Apr France Casualties:
1811, Apr R2: Spain Die 0, Perc 0, Mrl 0.00
1811, Apr R2: France Die 5, Perc 15, Mrl 2.50
1811, Apr Spain Casualties: 5 Infantry 7 Militia
1811, Apr France Casualties: 4 Infantry
1811, Apr R1: Spain Die 4, Perc 5, Mrl 0.50
1811, Apr R1: France Die 2, Perc 5, Mrl 0.40
1811, Apr Day 1 Chits France: Assault Spain: Cordon
1811, Apr Spain, Blake, 9 Corps, 82 Factors
1811, Apr France, Napoleon, 12 Corps, 195 Factors
1811, Apr LAND BATTLE: France Attacking Spain At Madrid
1811, Apr France Artillery Bombardment: 2 Factors

I assume you got all the way to 1811 without seeing this problem. If/when something like this happens again, try reloading your previous phase auto-save and see if that helps. If you (or others) can recreate the problem, then please send me those saves so that I can recreate the problem, troubleshoot it, and resolve it. As it is, I can't do much with this except note it and we'll watch for it again.

If I can find and fix something, then it will be in the next update.

Attachments
FrenchCombat.jpg
FrenchCombat.jpg (638.28 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
RichWall

Post by RichWall »

If/when something like this happens again, try reloading your previous phase auto-save and see if that helps
Will do.

I did reload the files I sent you and still could not get an engagement as I proceeded to the April Land Combat phase.
I assume you got all the way to 1811 without seeing this problem.

Yes. There were no problems like this in previous turns and as you can see Spain was fought and defeated in a previous war without this glitch so it is not Nation specific.

I hate to waste your time, perhaps others can answer this. How do I engage the auto-save? or if it is automatic, how does one retrieve a previous turn or phase?

Thanks.

RichWall

Post by RichWall »

I started a new game. This attached zip contains the Land Phase and another save during the Land Combat phase of the same turn showing the results of no engagement among French vs Spanish troops in the same space.

Another Battle in Berlin does engage without issue.

Thanks much.
Attachments
Fr1805alt42.sav.zip
(533.66 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
RichWall

Post by RichWall »

Re:above post.
Attachments
EiASpain01.jpg
EiASpain01.jpg (908.12 KiB) Viewed 747 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: RichWall
no engagement among French vs Spanish troops in the same space.
Another Battle in Berlin does engage without issue.

I just looked at this and cannot recreate the issue on my end? I moved your French into San Sebastian and Berlin and had combats in both, twice. I don't doubt that you are seeing a glitch of some sort. The bigger problem is that if there was a genuine code bug then it should appear routinely and not randomly, so that I can find and fix something.

I've had a nagging concern about how the game saves turns and reloads turns, for both PBEM games and some playtesting I've done (like repeatedly reopening saves over and over to test something). I might suggest clearing out old saves you don't need and closing/restarting the game before jumping into a new game. A fresh start never hurts. Sorry, I just don't have a definitive answer for some of the stuff that happens.
Bill Macon
RichWall

Post by RichWall »

I just looked at this and cannot recreate the issue on my end? I moved your French into San Sebastian and Berlin and had combats in both, twice. I don't doubt that you are seeing a glitch of some sort. The bigger problem is that if there was a genuine code bug then it should appear routinely and not randomly, so that I can find and fix something.

Understood.
I might suggest clearing out old saves you don't need and closing/restarting the game before jumping into a new game. A fresh start never hurts

Will do.

RichWall

Post by RichWall »

A thought pzgndr.

It seems on my machine has these errors pop-up from time to time and when you try then on your machine the error does not take place.

What's different? Maybe a DirectX version difference? or a C++ package installed? or other developer software.

I do not know how to code so some of these questions could be totally irrelevant. But just maybe.....
carllemp

Post by carllemp »

Hi Bill,

I just played a round of the 1805 as Austria and had similar issues. I've sent files in the past. I did notice a few strange items that I hope may help you track down the strange behaviour. It seems linked to the corps losing their affiliation with a major power or a memory overwrite in a list somewhere that controls Corp counters.

1) During setup, if I scroll the troop box, there were French Corp Icons. I could not select them but they were in the bottom two rows of the troop selection box
2) Confederation of the Rhine troops are very dangerous. I shared the same issue with Ottoman troops earlier. It's almost as if they are losing their affiliation with the controlling power and these "Neutral" troops cause problems such as supply chain not working and forcing the entire stack to forage when laying siege, they may not participate in battles and be left out of the stack or it may cause the all corp counters in an area to be locked and not engage in combat. If the war ends, there is some strange teleport behaviour (see below)
3) As Austria fighting Turkey and Russia, I had the minor neutrals with me bounced to friendly territory when the other nation surrendered. I had Lombardy teleport to Vienna from Constantinople when Turkey surrendered. One interesting note is that I ended up with a "ghost" Charles counter in Vienna as well that was unselectable and remained the rest of the game
4) In the diplomacy phase, I experienced a couple of access violations that I have also seen reported here. I could press the end phase again and continue but only garrison forces would be set up. The AI would not place corp counters. This is also pointing to a break with the corp ownership / list / memory issues. These included DoWs from the AI onto neutrals.

As I said, hoping this can shed some light on the issues, it's looking like it has something to do with a memory overwrite affecting the corp counters from what I can see.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Thanks guys. One thing I noticed with my v1.24.00 Beta build was some strange access violations that I could not track down and resolve. I ended up deleting the old Build files and Making a new build, and the errors went away. So perhaps I failed to Make a clean new build with the v1.23.08 release. With that in mind, I rebuilt v1.23.08 (attached). It is the exact same version, just rebuilt. Maybe try that and see if the errors are still there or not. If you have already installed the new v1.24.00 Beta and are still seeing these errors, then it's probably not a build issue and something else.

I will say that a LOT of my time fighting with v1.23.xx versions over the past two years was related to resolving issues with minors, loaned units, and Kingdom units. It's... complicated. I'm sure that I may have missed a few items along the way that could rear their ugly head during combats, supply checks, diplomacy, etc. Let's see if the rebuild helps any. If you're still seeing bugs or errors, please try to get a save that reproduces these on your end and provide me the save files so that I can reproduce the issue, track it down, and resolve it. Thanks!

Attachments
EiANW12308Rebuild.zip
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
Bill Macon
RichWall

Post by RichWall »

Hi Bill,

I've had a go with the v1.24.00 Beta. In these save files, one for the Land Phase and another for the Economic Phase, both from the December 1807 turn. The issue is the game will lock on the British unit Placement in their January 1808 Reinforcement Phase.

I see your new v1.23.08 Rebuild and will it a go.

Thanks for your help.

Rich
Attachments
AutoSaveGameT36.zip
(510.52 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
RichWall

Post by RichWall »

One last comment on the v1.24.00 Beta version. It was not until this build that the autosave files showed up. I have no idea if it was a setting or just some glitch, but am very glad to have them.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: RichWall
One last comment on the v1.24.00 Beta version. It was not until this build that the autosave files showed up. I have no idea if it was a setting or just some glitch, but am very glad to have them.

The autosaves should be automatic. Not sure why they would not have been happening before, unless they were being saved to another folder. Odd.

I did find and fix a source of access violation errors For Austrian DOW on Naples, related to how the game was trying to setup Naples. This will be in the next hotfix for v1.24.00 Beta.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: carllemp
1) During setup, if I scroll the troop box, there were French Corp Icons. I could not select them but they were in the bottom two rows of the troop selection box
2) Confederation of the Rhine troops are very dangerous. I shared the same issue with Ottoman troops earlier. It's almost as if they are losing their affiliation with the controlling power and these "Neutral" troops cause problems such as supply chain not working and forcing the entire stack to forage when laying siege, they may not participate in battles and be left out of the stack or it may cause the all corp counters in an area to be locked and not engage in combat. If the war ends, there is some strange teleport behaviour (see below)
3) As Austria fighting Turkey and Russia, I had the minor neutrals with me bounced to friendly territory when the other nation surrendered. I had Lombardy teleport to Vienna from Constantinople when Turkey surrendered. One interesting note is that I ended up with a "ghost" Charles counter in Vienna as well that was unselectable and remained the rest of the game
4) In the diplomacy phase, I experienced a couple of access violations that I have also seen reported here. I could press the end phase again and continue but only garrison forces would be set up. The AI would not place corp counters. This is also pointing to a break with the corp ownership / list / memory issues. These included DoWs from the AI onto neutrals.

I think from your saves that #1 and #4 are fixed now in v1.24.00 Beta. If I could get good saves for #2 and #3 and any other glitches, I can investigate further and try to fix something. In lieu of a save, a very detailed description of the situation(s) can also help me step through the game logic and maybe find something to fix. It would be nice to get v1.24.xx squeaky clean for the next official update.
Bill Macon
jardail

Re: Units at war in the same space will not engage.

Post by jardail »

Bill

I'm having a similar issue, but it's with the newly installed 1.25.03.

Armies not attacking each other isn't the problem in this case. An army moving into an area during the land movement phase and not being given the option to besiege is.

I've had 2 armies sitting on top of enemy garissons now for 3 turns straight and either I'm not getting how sieges work, or there's no option available to make them assault the town/garisson.

Hitting the end phase button just results in the other powers performing their land movement phase and no combat phase window ever comes up.

I've attached a current save here
andy.sav.zip
(261.18 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

jardail wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:38 pm not being given the option to besiege
There's no 'option' given. The player must select a unit and then click the "Move Unit Into/Out Of City" button to besiege. I did this with the French units at Ulm and Venice. Units besieging a city have a black box in the top left of the counter. This is different than post-combat in a rural area where you can then click a button to assault a city. Maybe this helps. If there's something more that I'm not understanding, let me know?
Move Into City.jpg
Move Into City.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 523 times
Bill Macon
jardail

Post by jardail »

pzgndr wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:50 am
jardail wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:38 pm not being given the option to besiege
There's no 'option' given. The player must select a unit and then click the "Move Unit Into/Out Of City" button to besiege. I did this with the French units at Ulm and Venice. Units besieging a city have a black box in the top left of the counter. This is different than post-combat in a rural area where you can then click a button to assault a city. Maybe this helps. If there's something more that I'm not understanding, let me know?
Well I feel stupid. I looked for hours yesterday trying to find that in the manual, I must have missed it.

Thank you for that info!
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

jardail wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:27 am Well I feel stupid. I looked for hours yesterday trying to find that in the manual, I must have missed it.
Thank you for that info!
No worries, we all started learning this game and this particular computer interface at one point. Most of the basics are relatively simple to grasp, but there are many deeper nuances that take time to master. I recommend you and others review "Suggestions for new players" at https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 0&t=374117. That Murat Tutorial, available in your \EiANW\Data\docs folder, is still very helpful to learn the basics; pp33-35 discusses those land phase buttons and how to besiege a city. At one point I changed that white box to a black box for besiegers to be consistent with naval blockaders.

I will say that one update to the Murat Tutorial should now say on page 4: Be afraid of the Hard AI. ;)
Bill Macon
jardail

Post by jardail »

[/quote]

No worries, we all started learning this game and this particular computer interface at one point. Most of the basics are relatively simple to grasp, but there are many deeper nuances that take time to master. I recommend you and others review "Suggestions for new players" at https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 0&t=374117. That Murat Tutorial, available in your \EiANW\Data\docs folder, is still very helpful to learn the basics; pp33-35 discusses those land phase buttons and how to besiege a city. At one point I changed that white box to a black box for besiegers to be consistent with naval blockaders.

I will say that one update to the Murat Tutorial should now say on page 4: Be afraid of the Hard AI. ;)
[/quote]

Well I'm a returning player, first purchased and played back when it was first released. My brain unfortunately is also advanced in years so it does take some time to recoup old memories. :D

Return to “Tech Support”