EIA v1.25.00 Beta Hotfix#3 Available

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

roos

Re: EIA v1.25.00 Beta Hotfix#2 Available

Post by roos »

pzgndr wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:41 am I will wrestle with Russia AI. What about those all 7-rolls? Please clarify or provide some game logs.
I will try to recreate. But it was AI rolling 7 twice in a siege battle.
roos

Post by roos »

Here is a save for sweden not being able to conduct siege battle in S:t Petersburg
Attachments
Save.zip
(389.35 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Alright, I see what you're saying about 7-rolls. There is an AI bonus for combat die rolls so that's probably what you're occasionally seeing. It's not all the time.

I note from your save that there is no siege battle as is, but if I move the besiegers out of the city and then back into the city then I get a siege battle. I am continuing to investigate this and why it just doesn't happen as is. I think destroying an enemy depot affects the unit and prevents it from both lifting a siege and besieging a city and getting a siege battle. Again, I'm continuing to investigate this.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
roos

Post by roos »

pzgndr wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:41 pm I think destroying an enemy depot affects the unit and prevents it from both lifting a siege and besieging a city and getting a siege battle. Again, I'm continuing to investigate this.
Just for your information.

If you are using the save I provided, Russia removed the depot before the Swedish invasion since the Swedish fleet was in the blockade box and stopped the supply anyway.
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.00 Beta Hotfix#3 Available

Post by pzgndr »

UPDATE 12/13/2022. EIA v1.25.00 Beta Hotfix#3 is now posted above.

The previous naval bug issue for the Swedish minor fleet is similar to the combat issue for the Swedish corps besieging St. Petersburg. The problem was that the code did not account for aggressive minors at war where their controlling major power is not at war. Playing Sweden aggressively against AI Russia identified a couple of weaknesses, on land and at sea, and these should now be resolved. The AI adjustment was to set fleet orders supporting an invasion to intercept, so that should be better now. A previous naval AI improvement allowed AI Russia to invade with a second corps to improve chances of capturing Stockholm, and to relocate the naval supply fleet if necessary to support a retreat of the landing force. I think if Sweden tries to abandon Stockholm to invade St. Petersburg, AI Russia will capture Stockholm and Sweden will surrender regardless of whatever happens in St. Petersburg. Interesting situation, but I think AI Russia will prevail despite whatever Sweden can do by itself. If its controlling major DOWs Russia, then that's a different situation.

The destroy depot and then lifting siege issue should now be resolved. The move code first checks to destroy a lone depot in an area and then checks to lift a siege. The lift siege check had a weakness with regard to how minors were checked, in the reported case for Prussia lifting a French siege on Prussian-controlled minor Saxony. The logics are now a bit more robust.

One more time. Let's see how this goes for a couple of weeks. I plan to move on to v1.25.01 Beta after the New Year and playtest some more so I can make a few more AI adjustments. I will be on travel next week and returning after the New Year, so I won't get back to this again until then. Again, please give the update a try and let me know if you find any issues or have any suggestions for improvement.
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

(Edit before postong: This message seems to have issues getting past the spam filter. I assume this is because I posted the reply in a wrong thread, and copied the contents here.)

I randomly saw a youtube review of the 1.24.03 patch during Xmas, and since then I've playing way too much EiA!
This is a great update, but I have seen some issues. The first two I'm attaching savegames for.

In one game Prussia is at war with France, but they have no land connection, so the Prussian AI is just amassing a huge stack. I would expect the Prussian AI to gobble up available minors, when there is no threat to it's possessions or army.
Prussia not taking minors.zip
(308.96 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
In another game (quite frequently it seems) nobody is venturing into north africa to pick up the minors. Spain has an unmolested fleet and a pile of corps counters in Portugal.
Nobody taking NA minors.zip
(267.91 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Often I have seen the French AI not take accessible undefended English minors on the european continent.
And very often I have seen a Prussian invasion of Denmark stall in Jutland, with 1+ Prussian corps just setting up camp, never crossing the straits to Copenhagen.

A really bad bug is, that sometimes the Spanish AI will get control of a minor, and instead of going to my reinforcement phase, I will get control of a Spanish reinforcement phase, where I can see available factors for Spain and whichever minor Spain has gained control of, but all the control buttons are from the diplomacy phase. So I cannot even deploy the minor factions assets. This has the impact that minors with fleets will lose all their available starting ships, even if freestated by whomever deplared war on them later on.
(Edit: This comes with an access violation error. Will see if I can generate a savegame triggering it)

Please continue making this game greater. I'm really enjoying the work you put into it so far.
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

I was able to catch the Spanish AI access violation.
Spain reinforcement access violation.png
Spain reinforcement access violation.png (999.15 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Spain diplomacy or reinforcement.zip
(291 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Steps to reproduce:
  • Declare war on Egypt
  • Change phase
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:55 pm Please continue making this game greater. I'm really enjoying the work you put into it so far.
I intend to! These are good feedback comments. I'm looking for AI performance issues to make adjustments on. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Alright, some initial thoughts and comments.

1. AI Prussia at war with France not taking minors. But Prussia is allied with Austria and should be able to move through its minors. I will investigate the path-finding routines and see if I can make an improvement there.

2. Nobody is venturing into North Africa to pick up the minors. Is this the latest v1.25.00 Beta with Hotfix#3 or a previous version? I've had Turkey and Spain active in the Med, sometimes Britain and France too. When I get to some playtesting this week, I'll watch for this.

3. French AI not taking accessible undefended English minors on the European Continent. I'll investigate this and do something.

4. Spanish AI access violation and swap to human control. This is tricky to reproduce. I was able to set Spain AI taking control of Egypt upon Austrian DOW but could not get the access violation, even after multiple tries. But it's a clue. There is some persistent bug someplace that swaps human and AI control, sometimes in PBEM games also. Someday I hope to find and resolve this bug.
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

Unfortunately this was on the 1.24.03. I'll update to the 1.25 and see how it performs.
(Edited to remove my update issue, as it was due to an error 40)
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

Ok, 1.25.00 beta shows more action in NA, and the French AI is taking undefended minors. Good!

However, I think I'm hitting a bug here:
  • Prussia and France have enforced peace
  • A French corps is in neutral Wurzburg
  • Prussia DoW Wurzburg -> French gets control
  • Prussia sends in a corps, breaches, and kicks out the Wurzbug defender
  • Prussia detaches a defending inf
  • France detaches a defending inf
  • Control of Wurzburg never switches to Prussia
Why is Wyrzburg not Prussian.zip
(257.46 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:55 pm In one game Prussia is at war with France, but they have no land connection, so the Prussian AI is just amassing a huge stack. I would expect the Prussian AI to gobble up available minors, when there is no threat to it's possessions or army.
OK, this is a case of restrictions I placed on AI Prussia from being too aggressive too early. Austria and Russia are not at war with France. I verified that AI Prussia has access to AI Austrian territory and was free to advance. I've made some AI adjustments to loosen things up some for early aggressions, hopefully not to be too reckless. See screenshot with the AI adjustments. I note in your game as Britain that you have not granted Prussia access so they would not be able to advance into your captured territories.

This was a good catch and game save. It challenged me to reconsider some AI options. The trick to the code logics is the number of combinations and permutations of different diplomatic situations and trying to get the AI to make reasonable choices. We'll see how this goes with v1.25.01 Beta that I'm working on this week.
Prussia Advances.jpg
Prussia Advances.jpg (413.62 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:55 pm Ok, 1.25.00 beta shows more action in NA, and the French AI is taking undefended minors. Good!

However, I think I'm hitting a bug here:
  • Prussia and France have enforced peace
  • A French corps is in neutral Wurzburg
  • Prussia DoW Wurzburg -> French gets control
  • Prussia sends in a corps, breaches, and kicks out the Wurzbug defender
  • Prussia detaches a defending inf
  • France detaches a defending inf
  • Control of Wurzburg never switches to Prussia
Why is Wyrzburg not Prussian.zip
I need to look at this more.
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

pzgndr wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:01 pm I need to look at this more.
I hope you have a fix soon, as I'm having the same situation in a game as Turkey. A "neutral" Spanish garrison inf in Florence seems to be all that stands between the Turkish garrison + corps and taking over Tuscany.
My guess is that when checking for if there are any active defenders, the forces of the MP controlling the minor will be counted.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:51 pm I hope you have a fix soon..
Not sure what got missed upon initial conquer check, but I added another explicit endturn check for control in cases like Wurzburg. Prussia and Wurzburg at war, Prussia occupies capital with no Wurzburg defenders, and Prussia not at war with Wurzburg controlling major (France). Game should be converting control from France to Prussia and evacuating the French. I ran the change to the end of the turn and that's what happened, evacuating Ney and IV Corps to Bavaria.

I want to run a few more tests and will likely post a v1.25.01 update tomorrow.
Wurzburg.jpg
Wurzburg.jpg (143.96 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

I have another couple of bugs I've found. Should I keep posting here, or go to the bug forum?

The first one is, that the Confederation of the Rhine corps will often get their movement points back and NOT be moved back to their initial position, when you cancel movement for them. Sometimes this will trigger a memory and teleport all the corps counters back to their initial starting point, but I was able to march all 6 Rhine corps from Bavaria to Turkey in one turn. The Hesse corp in this savegame can be used to trigger both additional movement, and to trigger a teleport of the other Rhine corps from Turkey to Bavaria.
Marching Rhine soldiers.zip
(297.71 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
(Note: This could not be duplicated with the Polish corps in the same save game)

The second bug is in the economy phase: When I purchase a Syrian infantry, and I click 'no' to the last 'are you sure' dialogue for purchasing, then the money and manpower gets subtracted, but no inf will show up in the reinforcement list 3 months later. (No savegame of that one, but should be easy to duplicate in a fresh game)
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:36 pm I have another couple of bugs I've found. Should I keep posting here, or go to the bug forum?
I've noted these issues. I am about to playtest some and then wrap up v1.25.01. I will investigate these two new issues later. I did run the marching Rhine soldiers and could not reproduce the error. In other words, with your save I moved some COR units and undid the moves and they were fine. For the builds issue, I thought I verified this worked OK but maybe something is odd with Syria. I'll look later as I proceed into Hotfix #1 issues for v1.25.01.
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

I play this game too much...
Spain has been occupying Moscow for quite some time.

Russia has (had) a large stack of corps close to the Austrian border, but will neither surrender, nor try to send its army to liberate Moscow.
Russia not trying.sav.zip
(290.55 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Edit: Ok the next diplo phase Russia surrendered. But Moscow and Skt. Petersburg where both occypied from September '07 till the surrender in January '09 without any attempts at counterattacks.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I'll add it to my list. I could use a good save for the COR units getting movement points back.

And I need to relook the builds process. I changed it back for now. If I can't get cancellations to work, I may just provide a warning message. Problem is how the code decrements money and manpower when you build something and there's no easy way to undo that.

I am about to post v1.25.01. Try that.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:54 pm Russia has (had) a large stack of corps close to the Austrian border, but will neither surrender, nor try to send its army to liberate Moscow.
Good catch and good game save. There were some obvious weaknesses with the new redeploy code regarding redeploying back to a threatened capital. For Russia only, I added some code for its alternate capital St. Petersburg. Spain and its allies invading through St. Petersburg should have prompted an earlier Russian reaction.

I removed your Spanish garrisons at Moscow so I wouldn't trigger a Russian surrender as I playtested this with my code changes. Russia is reacting now!
Russia Redeploy.jpg
Russia Redeploy.jpg (414.13 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Bill Macon

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”