v1.24.02 Beta, Hotfix #4 - 6/17/2022

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

pzgndr

v1.24.02 Beta, Hotfix #4 - 6/17/2022

Post by pzgndr »

Attached is v1.24.02 Beta for playtesting. Release notes so far:
Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.24.02
=============================================
- 0000835: [Game Bug] Poland not receiving money or manpower - change made for v1.22.01 incorrectly added income and manpower collection at Kingdom creation - resolved.
- AI casualties sometimes incorrect - resolved.
- Placing depot allowed across blocked sea crossing - resolved.
- Naval AI weakness for blocking sea crossings - resolved.
- Keep AI bonuses if under siege or enforced peace by a human player (to make the computer opponent more challenging) - resolved.
- Naval landings not allowed in some controlled areas - resolved.
- Some surrenders still resulting in some enemy minors being at war with a former enemy major power - resolved.
- Effects of Peace not implemented correctly - resolved (see Rule 6.4.1 and 6.4.2 updates).
- Bug reported with evacuating garrisons under some nation control changes - resolved.
- Combat selection of best leader in battle now assessed including maximum tactical rating - resolved.
You should be able to extract the new EXE and \Graphics files from the zip file directly into your v1.23.08 or v1.24.01 install. Alternatively, you may want to install a separate copy of the official v1.23.08 and update that to the v1.24.02 Beta and beyond.

As before, I will continue to fine-tune the AI some and work to resolve any issues that come up with this latest Beta. This v1.24.02 Beta has taken a couple more weeks than I had planned, but that's due to some additional playtesting that identified a few more issues to resolve before I was happy with it. Assuming this Beta version (with any hotfixes) plays OK without any more surprises, I should be able to release another (final?) official update this spring.

On another note, for the past month I have also been on the Strategic Command development team working with Hubert Cater. Going forward, I hope to wrap up Empires in Arms development with this next official update and focus more on Strategic Command. As always, more players running the latest Beta and providing useful feedback will help ensure issues are identified so that I can resolve them prior to an official update. Please give this Beta a try and provide any comments you may have. Thanks!

UPDATE 5/15/22 - New zip file updated for v1.24.02 Hotfix #1. See notes in post below.

UPDATE 5/18/22 - New zip file updated for v1.24.02 Hotfix #2. See notes in post below.

UPDATE 6/10/22 - New zip file updated for v1.24.02 Hotfix #3. See notes in post below.

UPDATE 6/16/22 - New zip file updated for v1.24.02 Hotfix #4. See notes in post below.

UPDATE 6/17/22 - Corrected v1.24.02 Hotfix #4 posted that resolves an access violation bug. If you downloaded the files yesterday, please re-download the corrected files. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Attachments
EiANW 12402 Beta[4].zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
jbmoore68

Re: v1.24.02 Beta - 4/11/2022

Post by jbmoore68 »

Where to download this beta, I don't see an attachment ?
pzgndr

Re: v1.24.02 Beta - 4/11/2022

Post by pzgndr »

I suppose it would help if I attached the file. Fixed. :oops:
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: v1.24.02 Beta, Hotfix #1 - 5/15/2022

Post by pzgndr »

It's been a month since I posted v1.24.02. I just updated the download link with Hotfix #1 that addresses quite a few issues that took time to resolve to my satisfaction. Updated release notes so far:
Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.24.02
=============================================
- 0000835: [Game Bug] Poland not receiving money or manpower - change made for v1.22.01 incorrectly added redundant income and manpower collection at Kingdom creation - resolved.
- AI combat casualty number displays and game log messages sometimes incorrect - resolved.
- Keep AI bonuses if under siege or enforced peace by a human player (to make the computer opponent more challenging) - resolved.
- Some surrenders still resulting in some enemy minors remaining at war with a former enemy major power - resolved.
- Effects of Peace not implemented correctly - resolved (see Rule 6.4.1 and 6.4.2 updates).
- Bug reported with evacuating garrisons under some nation control changes - resolved.
- Combat selection of best leader in battle does not include maximum tactical rating - resolved.
- Cavalry withdrawal rule incorrect - resolved (see Rule 11.2.4, Resolve Withdrawals, updated to apply to the Austrian Light Infantry Corps but to not apply if the attacker is also an all-cavalry force and/or if the commanding leader has a Strategic Rating of 5.)
- Light ships autoevade combats with Heavy should not apply to a forced running of a blockade box - resolved.
- Persia setup for Alternate EIH has 2x corps of 10i5c but 30i20c available - resolved (database updated to 4x corps of 10i5c).
- Creating Confederation of the Rhine should give +2 PS - resolved (database updated).
- AI victor selecting unit/leader/fleet not working correctly during implementation of surrender conditions - resolved.
- Nations and provinces should be marked on the map with a "(R)" or a "(O)" for the available Confederation of the Rhine or Ottoman Empire components, respectively - resolved.
Those last few items regarding updates to the databases and the maps are too large for a zip file and will have to wait for the next official update patch.

There are several other minor fixes I worked on to ensure retreats work properly and AI naval blockades work better, plus a few other minor issues that annoyed me during my playtestings. We are getting better. I suspect there may still be a few items that need attention in another hotfix or two before I go final with another official update patch. Please try this latest and see what you think. As always, feedback is welcome so I can take a look.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: v1.24.02 Beta, Hotfix #2 - 5/18/2022

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #2 is posted. I apologize, but there was an issue with the AI declaring war on minors in Hotfix #1. An AI 'improvement' I had added was for the AI to not only check for units in range of a minor but also to check for sufficient friendly forces versus the off-map minor factors available. That new function was not working correctly but is now fixed.

Along the way, I added one more enhancement:
- Minors that have corps should be marked somehow - resolved (the Show Selected Nation Information box now includes a "[FS]" indicator).
As before, please try this latest and see what you think. As always, feedback is welcome so I can take a look.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: v1.24.02 Beta, Hotfix #3 - 6/10/2022

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #3 is complete and posted above. Updated release notes:
- 0000835: [Game Bug] Poland not receiving money or manpower - change made for v1.22.01 incorrectly added redundant income and manpower collection at Kingdom creation - resolved.
- AI combat casualty number displays and game log messages sometimes incorrect - resolved.
- Some surrenders still resulting in some enemy minors remaining at war with a former enemy major power - resolved.
- Problem with evacuating garrisons under some nation control changes - resolved.
- Combat selection of best leader in battle does not include maximum tactical rating - resolved.
- Cavalry withdrawal rule incorrect - resolved (see Rule 11.2.4, Resolve Withdrawals, updated to apply to the Austrian Light Infantry Corps but to not apply if the attacker is also an all-cavalry force and/or if the commanding leader has a Strategic Rating of 5.)
- Light ships autoevade combats with Heavy should not apply to a forced running of a blockade box - resolved.
- Persia setup for Alternate EIH has 2x corps of 10i5c but 30i20c available - resolved (database updated to 4x corps of 10i5c).
- Creating Confederation of the Rhine should give +2 PS - resolved (database updated).
- AI victor selecting unit/leader/fleet not working correctly during implementation of surrender conditions - resolved.
- Nations and provinces should be marked on the map with a "(R)" or a "(O)" for the available Confederation of the Rhine or Ottoman Empire components, respectively - resolved.
- Minors that have corps should be marked somehow - resolved (the Show Selected Nation Information box now includes a "[FS]" indicator).
- FrClassicCampaign1805-_Flexible setup and AI setup should not have French fleets at sea - resolved.
- Supply cost calculations for units on depots not correct - resolved.
- AutoForage incorrectly resetting foraged units to normal supply and charging supply cost - resolved.
- Game locking up related to AI transferring factors from garrison to corps – resolved.
- Ghost corps remaining after unit eliminated in combat – resolved.
The last few items fix some reported issues with supply and all seems to work as intended now. There's been a lot of playtesting to identify these lingering issues and resolve them. Latest playtester report was positive. I have continued to make several AI enhancements for placing/removing depots and naval actions (blockades, port attacks, amphibious operations). I have also beefed up some AI bonuses for more challenging gameplay, added to the game manual and summarized below:
NOTE: AI opponents receive the following bonus at the start of the game to reflect a bid:

Easy AI: Receives no bonus.
Medium AI: Receives a random (1-3)% victory point bonus.
Hard AI: Receives a random (2-6)% victory point bonus.

NOTE: AI opponents receive the following bonuses in naval combat:

Medium AI: Receives a +1 wind gauge modifier and a +1 combat die roll modifier versus human opponents in Dominant political status.
Hard AI: Receives a +2 wind gauge modifier and a +2 combat die roll modifier versus human opponent in Dominant political status, and +1 wind gauge modifier and a +1 combat die roll modifier versus human opponents in Normal political status.

NOTE: AI opponents receive the following bonuses in land combat:

Medium AI: Receives a +0.25 start morale bonus, a +1 combat die roll modifier, and a 10% morale loss reduction versus human opponents in Dominant political status.
Hard AI: Receives a +0.50 start morale bonus, a +2 combat die roll modifier, and a 20% morale loss reduction versus human opponents in Dominant political status, and a +0.25 start morale bonus, a +1 combat die roll modifier, and a 10% morale loss reduction versus human opponents in Normal political status.

NOTE: AI opponents receive the following bonuses at the beginning of each Economic Phase:

Easy AI: Receives a 5% bonus on manpower and money.
Medium AI: Receives a 15% bonus on manpower and money.
Hard AI: Receives a 25% bonus on manpower and money.
Assuming this hotfix is stable without any more surprises, I should be able to move forward to v1.24.03 and prepare this version for official release in July or August. There are still a few minor items on my ToDo list and of course any reported issues will get top priority for resolution. It sure would be nice to have most everything working perfectly or nearly so. Enjoy!
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: v1.24.02 Beta, Hotfix #4 - 6/16/2022

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #4 is posted above. Updated release notes add one item:
- French conquered minors re-conquered by Austria were lost when France went into Instability – resolved.
I also noticed another odd bug in my playtest to resolve this reported bug for Hotfix #3. AI Prussia had DOWd Hesse and it became Spanish controlled. Hesse was set to At War with Prussia and its minors. There was a Lapse of War and Hesse was no longer At War with Prussia, but still At War with Prussia's FS minors. The Hessian corps then moved into Prussian controlled Nassau and besieged Frankfurt. So the bug here was the Lapse of War minor not clearing all At War conditions with the MP's minors. I was playing France and had DOWd Prussia. There was a Prussian corps in Nassau that I moved to attack while the other siege was going on. It took me a while to figure out why there was no rural combat! I was trying to fix that issue without realizing the other issue. Long story short, I think I stumbled on and resolved an odd Lapse of War issue. But it's little things like this that I'd like to find and fix, now, before releasing another official update.

So. Please play with Hotfix #4 and provide whatever feedback you may have, good or bad. Let's ensure everything is as good as it can be. I will be on travel next week and will get back to code development during the week of June 27. Enjoy!
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: v1.24.02 Beta, Hotfix #4 - 6/17/2022

Post by pzgndr »

It's been several weeks since Hotfix #4 was posted and over a dozen downloads. I have had no reported issues. I intend to move forward with v1.24.03 and some AI improvements, leading towards an official update in August maybe. Certainly by end of summer, unless some ugly issue rears its head.

If you have played with Hotfix #4, please share any comments you may have. The clock is ticking...
Bill Macon

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”