EIAers

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Harry Rowland

EIAers

Post by Harry Rowland »

Gidday EIAers (it doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily as Wiffers, maybe we should all just call ourselves ARMers and be done with it),

Hope you're enjoying Empires in Arms the computer game, my first ever design. Its great fun to see a game first designed when I was 13 years old (a horrifying 36 years ago), long before an Apple II was even a glimpse in Steve Jobs eyes, should now be playable in full glorious colour on our computer screens (bit easier than our slide rules).

I'm very impressed with the great job Marshall and his team have done in bringing Napoleonic warfare triumphantly back to life. Its a faithful recreation of the game with some very clever code to keep the e-mail interrupts to a minimum. Possible opposition reaction, although fun in a face to face boardgame, can be time consuming when playing by e-mail and the conquest conditions and naval interception solves this easily.

Overall its a lot of fun and I look forward to hearing your favourite strategies and tactics as you gloriously triumph over your hapless foes to bring forward the EU two hundred years under your stern but benevolent rule.

Good luck and good gaming!
Monadman

RE: EIAers

Post by Monadman »

Harry,

At last, I have shed my EiA purist ways for EiANW and stand tied to the formers whipping post. My strategy is to survive. [:D]

Richard
JavaJoe

Post by JavaJoe »

Harry,

Many a day was spent "discussing" the meaning of the rules in EiA. Now the rules are set in stone and a computer adjudicates and enforces the law.

The New Napoleonic Code!

Richard,

Great work man....its been a pleasure..
Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com
Harry Rowland

Post by Harry Rowland »

Alas we weren't very good at English 25 years ago, as the original rules to EIA will attest. We knew what we meant to say, but we didn't have a clue how to say it. At last even I don't have to worry about the rules anymore.
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

ORIGINAL: Harry Rowland

Gidday EIAers (it doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily as Wiffers, maybe we should all just call ourselves ARMers and be done with it),

Hope you're enjoying Empires in Arms the computer game, my first ever design. Its great fun to see a game first designed when I was 13 years old (a horrifying 36 years ago), long before an Apple II was even a glimpse in Steve Jobs eyes, should now be playable in full glorious colour on our computer screens (bit easier than our slide rules).

I'm very impressed with the great job Marshall and his team have done in bringing Napoleonic warfare triumphantly back to life. Its a faithful recreation of the game with some very clever code to keep the e-mail interrupts to a minimum. Possible opposition reaction, although fun in a face to face boardgame, can be time consuming when playing by e-mail and the conquest conditions and naval interception solves this easily.

Overall its a lot of fun and I look forward to hearing your favourite strategies and tactics as you gloriously triumph over your hapless foes to bring forward the EU two hundred years under your stern but benevolent rule.

Good luck and good gaming!

I've been playing a game for 25 years that was designed by a 13 year old?!?!?!?! Great game Harry!!!!
zaquex

Post by zaquex »

EiA is by far the best board game I ever played, its simple but still very complex. At one time we adapted it to cover the seven years war, I really hope such variants will come to the computer game eventually.  I understand that there will likely be plenty of room for improvement before the game will be mature, but If the computer game is anything like the original it will be awsome.

Thanks to Harry for creating this game and to Matrix and Marshal for bringing it to us in this form.

Regards

zaq
An Elephant
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: Harry Rowland

Alas we weren't very good at English 25 years ago, as the original rules to EIA will attest. We knew what we meant to say, but we didn't have a clue how to say it. At last even I don't have to worry about the rules anymore.

Touché Harry (but alas there was a closure and there will be consequences).[;)]

Richard
malcolm_mccallum

Post by malcolm_mccallum »

At one point we were wrestling with the rules for some complicated several paragraphs of rules and eventually had to turn to symbolic logic. We translated it into tiny morsel statements and conditionals, twisted it and turned it, poked it and provoked it, and finally came away with a 'proof' that validated a single interpretation.

Also, we played the game continuously for two years before someone found a sentence in the glossary that clarified what was meant by 'within two areas' for supply chains. Only one space allowed in between? Doh!

Great work though.

Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Harry:

Every line of code put me more in awe of what you did so long ago with the assistance of Microsoft!
Could we have done this on a TRS-80 or Commodore 64? I think NOT!

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Thanks goodness its happened for us after all these years, I think the persistance in this venture, is a credit to you Marshall. 
And for that matter to Richard, for being the crewmaster,Joe, Don
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

Mr Rowland, I thank you for creating such a marvelous and enduring game. I've only played the boardgame (no time yet to download the PC version -- Saturday for sure!) But, the boardgame is absolutely wonderful. It was hard to find 6-7 players to play it consistently for a year, but we somehow managed.

Just as a side note: If you were 13 when you designed it, and that was 36 years ago (1971), then you were born the same time I was: 1958! I feel proud.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

Gee I feel old when i realized how many years it has been since i picked up EIA and WIF (4 edition). I can't be that old [:(]

I really look forward to play EIA again as it is quite impossible to gather the necessary people to play the boardgame these days.

So thank you to ADG and Matrix for struggling on this project during the years. I am looking forward to many enjoyable days with this gem.

Finally a personal thanx to Harry for his generous donation of dinner at this years Euro Wifcon to celebrate the 25th year anniversary for the founding of ADG. I am already looking forward to celebrate the 50th year anniversary in a wheel chair [:D]
Hit them where they aren't
dude

Post by dude »

Funny, you created the game at 13 and I started playing it at 13 (in 1979!)  Gave up in the 90's when the PBEM games were playing longer then the turn represented... (it took a over a month to play a turn that's only a month!)  ... in two nights I've already played out a year (solo of course...)

Thanks to all involved!  (Now I have a great game to play while waiting for WiF….[:D] )

Dude

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant
Kraakstorm

Post by Kraakstorm »

What a shock ! 13 years old... When I bought my first EIA box I had 16 years old..;)

I'm one of your most french fan and EIA is my favorite game as I consider the delicate balance of his rules like a cathedral architecture..

Don't worry Harry, we continue to make some baby EiA gamers in France...;)

Sorry for incoming just now, because regarding e-mail you send me few years ago now, I had at this time little difficulties to contact ADG teams (not an internet core taper ;) )

What do you think for a next EIA II adventure ? ;) (As you know, I've got a lot of ideas to improve your baby and always regarding the equilibre of the rules )

Cheers

Kei TAKANO
Vaincre d'abord, combattre ensuite
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Now all yah gotta do Harry is work on that AI. ;) But, I applaud you anyways for being one who finally brought a great board game to the computer. I'm really just sick of all these gimmick games like AGEODs and COTA/HTTR that really just play themselves. Glad there are a few developers like you still around. Now hurry up and make some more before you get 60. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

kc_chiefs

Post by kc_chiefs »

I enjoyed the game when I was ... 22! Our group played it twice that I can remember. We were big into playing miniatures and boardgames were not as popular with that group. I played Turkey both times ... [:D] Its fun when Turkey does win a battle and gets to pursue! [8D]
Bill Peters
Morgan60

Post by Morgan60 »

Hello All,

I played EiA quite a lot when the ADG version came out. Just for the purists, this was a bettter version than the AH version (IMHO).

The most surreal game my friends and I played was one during the great elctrical strikes in Queensland during the early 80's, went on for months and we played with kerosine lanterns. Great for atmosphere!!!

I wonder if there have been stranger games?

Merry Christmas to all.
demonterico

Post by demonterico »

Mr. Rowland, Marshall, and Matrix,

[&o]You all have my undying gratitude for producing this wonderful game.  EiA is truly a immortal classic in a wargamers world of brief flashes.  One can only speculate how many boardgames (and now computer games) have been produced over the years, and very few, if any, can claim the longevity of EiA.  I've had the AH map up on my wall for years and even though its been awhile since I've played I will still stop to look it over from time to time, remembering the good old days.  When Matrix first began discussing the EiA project I was quite thrilled, and have been waiting (im)patiently for its release.  Once again I want to thank all of those involved with EiA throughout the many years very much.

Dave
The world has never seen a more impressive demonstration of the influence of sea power upon history. Those far distant, storm-beaten ships, upon which the Grand Army never looked, stood between it and the dominion of the world. -- Alfred Thayer Mahan
saintsup

Post by saintsup »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I'm really just sick of all these gimmick games like AGEODs and COTA/HTTR that really just play themselves.

How elegant to just go bashing an other game with two words.

Just to even the case, and 'en passant' I think that the AGEOD's game are very cleverly designed, give a hudge feeling of immersion and a very decent AI. They have an exceptional art too. But it's just my opinion ...

Mike Fisher

Post by Mike Fisher »

Hi everyone. I did the maps and graphics for the original EIA way back in the early 80s, and much playtesting, although i can't claim to have been 13. But only a few years older at 18.

I have been playing the release version of EIA-NW for the past few weeks.

First - a big first - I want to thank Marshall Ellis for the enormous amount of work he has put in to EIA-NW; it is a fine job that he has done, the map looks great, the interface works well and after some intensive solo play I found the program to be very quick, very light on system resources and very dependable. The game is so close to the original EIA and it is a joy to play it on the computer.

Mind you, having everything digitised and automated, and having AI opponents that do their moves in a second, makes me realise how long it took humans with the paper game to play EIA. I have been playing for two and a half days over the weekend in my first game as Austria, and I am only up to 1810! And the AI will play on long after a human player would have thrown the dice away into a corner of the room.

I can see from the board here that there's lots of suggestions for improvements to the system and the AI, avid searching for bugs to tighten up the code, and a new beta patch is available - I am mightily impressed by Marshall's work to date and his encouragement of constructive comment to keep improving the product. I enjoy the way the online community at Matrix and Paradox and similar sites keep working on the games with such enthusiasm and commitment, its all part of our common enthusiasm for history generally and military history in particular, so please keep up the good work!

Especially regarding the AI, the development of which I find quite fascinating. It is worth paying tribute though to Marshall's first iteration of the AI, it took my human Austria, cautious at first as I relearned the game and learned the interface, four years from 1805 to 1808 before finally taking Paris, and that was with the help of AI Britain, Prussia and Spain. I can see that there'll be lots of debate and development on the AI, but as the first release cut I think it is pretty good.

But nothing beats a human opponent! I hope you all got the same thrill and enjoyment I did playing digital EIA and hope you all and the development team had a terrific, well deserved, holiday season.

all the best

Mike.

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”