EIA v1.25.03 Beta Hotfix #6 Release Available

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

pzgndr

EIA v1.25.03 Beta Hotfix #6 Release Available

Post by pzgndr »

Attached is the release candidate for the next v1.25.03 official patch. This update should be applied over the installed v1.24.03 game files or previous v1.25.xx Beta update(s).

Release notes so far:
Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.25.03
=============================================
- EIA Classic setups for Persia missing Persian corps – resolved.
- Garrisons in provincial capitals cannot be transferred to corps during forced or temporary access following surrender – resolved.
- Downgrading diplomatic relations with minor countries not working consistent with rules – resolved. (See Game Manual section 6.1.5)
- Broken supply chain issues affecting reinforcements and placing new depots – resolved.
- Game Manual section 6.17 Release of Prisoners added, section 15.15 Political Point Chart updated, and AI coded to respond to requests for release and exchange of prisoners – resolved.
- Setups for 1812 scenarios revised to now include prisoners at start (see Special Rule D) – resolved.
- Foraging modifier for other corps in area not working – resolved.
- Adjacent area interceptions not working – resolved.
- Determination of majority control of a contested area not counting all units, city and rural – resolved.
- Denmark forces in classic 1812 scenario setup incorrect – resolved.
- AI unassigned leaders not being assigned or deleted – resolved.
- Prussian IIId depot not working – resolved (databases and 1805 setups updated).
- Naval movement arrow bug – resolved.
- Evacuation bug for blockading fleet – resolved.
- Some combats with Cossacks/Freikorps not working – resolved.
- EIA Alternate setup for Russia 1812 should have light fleets for anti-piracy – resolved.

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.25.02
- Reported bug placing supply depot - resolved.
- Naval stack move glitch following creation of naval battle – resolved.
- Unconditional Surrender conditions not being properly implemented – resolved.
- Surrender conditions not properly displayed in game log – resolved.
- Alexandria misspelled in database files – resolved.
- Blockading fleets sometimes moved to port upon capture of city and enemy fleets not forced to run blockade upon evacuation – resolved.
- Victor’s units being improperly evacuated from loser’s ceded provinces as part of peace conditions – resolved.
- AI should be taking insurrection and feudal losses first – resolved.
- Path error with selected unit moving through illegal non-highlighted area and not paying higher move cost – resolved.
- Graphics bug following lifting of blockade where duplicate attacker fleets remain in the port – resolved.
- Imminent rural combat situation was not set to battle – resolved.
- Minor DOW allowed against an Allied Major Power's Influenced or Allied neutral – resolved.
- AI weaknesses with placing new units and adding factors – resolved.
- Peace condition not resetting all minors to new status – resolved.
- Game crashes reported with supply_recursive_chain_scan – resolved.
- Access violation standing down Austrian insurrection corps – resolved.

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.25.01
- AI adjustments for strategic redeployments for some early war aggressive actions – resolved.
- Some conquered minors not converting control properly when controlling major power forces present – resolved.
- Some combats not properly initiated when enemy corps present – resolved.
- Canceling builds not working per warning implemented in 1.24.01 – resolved.
- Undo Move for COR Kingdom units not working properly – resolved.
- AI adjustments for redeploying forces back to a threatened capital – resolved.
- Turkish AI place/keep feudals issue fixed in 1.24.01 not working – resolved.
- AI adjustments for being able to reach objective areas – resolved.
- Ceded provinces should evacuate all friendly forces, including naval units – resolved.
- Classic 1805 campaign setups incorrectly place a Spanish garrison in neutral Tuscany – resolved.

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.25.00
- Minor country secondary districts stay at war despite lapse of war of controlling minor country – resolved.
- Cannot build ships for minors – resolved (error related to Algeria able to build ships but has no fleets issue in v1.24.03).
- Several 1805 EIA/EIH minor country statuses, at-start strengths, and morale discrepancies – resolved. (See Game Manual sections 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 completely updated with corrected values. Databases and tables updated accordingly.)
- AI-AI naval combat bug – resolved.
- Adding province to kingdom bug – resolved.
- Some minor diplomacy settings not cleared upon DOW – resolved.
- Rule clarification, lone transports engaged in naval combat are eliminated, not captured – resolved (see revised rule 8.3.1).
- Minor corps and fleets at war not able to engage enemy when controlling major not at war – resolved.
- Corps destroying depot should also be able to lift siege – resolved.
The download includes the updated EXE, updated .ged database files and .tpj table files, updated program text file, updated setups.

I found and fixed a couple of reported issues with the supply chain (I think); we need to watch to verify all is well and nothing else is broken. The foraging modifier and the adjacent area interception fixes should be noticeable. Please review downgrading diplomatic relations and check out release of prisoners. I was about to release this last week but noticed a couple of issues during my playtests which I resolved. I am hoping that the remaining bugs are few and far between now.

On a personal note, I completed my move a couple weeks ago and settled into my new residence. I'm back to my old routines. Months ago I was optimistic about getting the next official update out by now. LOL. The game code continues to surprise me with lingering issues and then life happens. We'll get there.

Let's see how this goes, again. As always, I'm standing by to investigate any and all reported bugs and observed AI weaknesses. And as before, if you spot something then please please get a good game save of the issue and perhaps of the previous game phase so I can reproduce the issue for troubleshooting. Feedback, both good and bad, is useful as I drive towards a final version for the next official update. We're getting close. Thanks. Enjoy!

5/12/2023 UPDATE. Hotfix #1 posted.
5/26/2023 UPDATE. Hotfix #2 posted.
6/20/2023 UPDATE. Hotfix #3 posted.
6/28/2023 UPDATE. Hotfix #4 re-posted.
7/14/2023 UPDATE. Hotfix #5 posted.
8/21/2023 UPDATE. Hotfix #6 release version posted.
EiANW 12503 Beta[6] RELEASE.zip
(3.33 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.03 Beta Available

Post by pzgndr »

- Determination of majority control of a contested area not counting all units, city and rural – resolved.
FYI. I found that this "fix" does not work as intended for naval units so I've had to go back and treat land and naval units separately. I've also made a couple of minor typo corrections and a minor AI adjustment for DOWs. I'll post a hotfix tomorrow, but if anyone has any other issues that I should look at then please share.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.03 Beta Hotfix #1 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #1 posted. As mentioned above, determination of majority control of a contest area should now be working correctly for land and naval units. This was prompted by situations where one MP with a majority force was about to conquer a minor but another MP with a minority force could swoop in and gain control, based on the order of MPs in the code without regard to who was the larger presence. But I found naval units forced to evacuate a port still needed to evaluate forces in port versus forces in the blockade box so that additional information was restored. Anyways, it works, but if anyone spots an odd situation where I need to look into this again then please send me a save. Also, as mentioned, I corrected a few minor typos in the code and database files so those are updated in the zip file.

I am keeping an eye on surrender conditions. There is an occassional glitch where the surrender conditions do not appear in the menu box and requires you to restart the game and sometimes recheck the conditions you want. I am trying to figure this out. The problem is that it is not reproducible, so I can't track down where exactly in the code something wrong is happening that I can fix. I'll also note that the surrender code is rather complicated. For example, surrender condition B.7, Remove 1 Fleet, is table #B4, and condition #14. Why? I don't know. I would not have coded things this way, but it is what it is and I try to decipher it all. I think most everything is correctly aligned, despite the mismatches, but I'm not 100% convinced. Please keep an eye on surrender conditions checked versus implemented, and if you spot a discrepancy then please send me save.

As usual, let's see how this goes. Enjoy!
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.03 Beta Hotfix #2 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #2 posted. Other than fixing a minor AI bug for unassigned leaders, most all of this update are adjustments to AI behaviors to improve performnance. Jimmi_Magnus provided a very good game save a couple weeks ago with multiple issues for me to investigate and resolve. Over the past few days I've been playtesting a lot and making numerous additional adjustments.

To summarize, in no particular order:
- Logics for defending threatened capitals are improved. AI is responding better and not over-reacting as much.
- Strategic Redeployments are improved, both advances towards MPs at war and returns to homeland as applicable.
- Besieged corps are now attacking outnumbered besiegers.
- Placing/removing depots is improved.
- Logics for unit retreats are improved. There is still room for improvement here regarding separate corps near larger stacks that don't necessarily have to retreat, but it's challenging to what-if conditions.
- Assigning units is improved, particularly for minor units to perform low-level tasks before major units are selected and for special units (Guard and Artillery) to support battles.
- Probably more that I can't think of offhand.

I did a deep-dive into the surrender conditions screen. There is still an occassional glitch where the conditions list is blank. I tried a work-around to manually print the text for the listed conditions, and that worked, but it failed to maintain the checked items. I will continue to investigate this glitch, but please be aware of it; if it happens just exit the game and restart the autosave and it works fine.

On a personal note, I will be away on travel for the next week. Hopefully there won't be any showstopper bugs that need my attention until I get back. As I've mentioned previously, feedback on AI behaviors - good and bad - is appreciated. I can't fix what I don't know about, and I can cover only so much ground during my playtests when I get to play instead of coding this beast. So let's see how this goes for a while. Enjoy!
Bill Macon
roos

Post by roos »

Land combat in Holland doesn't resolv.
Save.zip
(211.56 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

roos wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:33 am Land combat in Holland doesn't resolv.
Do you by chance have the land phase save before land combat? I can't do much with this save to determine why this battle was not set.

I think I've tried fixing this issue a half dozen times to include adding redundant checks for areas with friendly and enemy forces and setting battles. Like squeezing jello... :x

UPDATE. I advanced your game and recreated the Amsterdam conditions. Pr Gd and V corps defending, Au IV and Swe I corps attacking. Is that what you did, attack at 19:30 odds? This time the battle was set and resolved OK. I suspect that the occassional glitches like this and others may be due to the age of the code and compiler, from 2007, trying to work smoothly on today's O/S in 2023, 16 years later. I don't know. But if I can't put my finger on a piece of code that isn't working correctly then I can't fix anything. All I can suggest in cases like this is to replay the turn from a previous autosave. If the bug is reproducible, then send me that previous autosave turn.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I'd like to share what I've been working on this week with AI improvements. Screenshot shows AI France attacking AI Russia in 1812. In July, the Russians retreated from Kovno but only two areas not three. There is some variability in the retreat code. This allowed the French to catch the Russians in open battle.

Two things are worth mentioning. The French are advancing better with some restrictions added to corps retreats despite being outnumbered. I was seeing too many retrograde movements when France should be pressing the attacks, at least until winter sets in. The other thing is that France is placing depots better to support the advance and reduce foraging losses.
Russia 1812.jpg
Russia 1812.jpg (997.23 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

This is Part II. In August, France moved first and returned to Area243 to clobber the Russians, this time bringing in Napoleon for the glory. Again, France placed another depot in Vilna to support the advance. All of this is intended to help make the AI more challenging.
Russia 1812 [2].jpg
Russia 1812 [2].jpg (957.76 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Bill Macon
roos

Post by roos »

Sorry, land phase is gone. I'll remember you need that one too next time.

Yes, the Austrian attack was 19 vs 30, but with lots of reinforcements and charles closeby.

pzgndr wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:47 pm
roos wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:33 am Land combat in Holland doesn't resolv.
Do you by chance have the land phase save before land combat? I can't do much with this save to determine why this battle was not set.

I think I've tried fixing this issue a half dozen times to include adding redundant checks for areas with friendly and enemy forces and setting battles. Like squeezing jello... :x

UPDATE. I advanced your game and recreated the Amsterdam conditions. Pr Gd and V corps defending, Au IV and Swe I corps attacking. Is that what you did, attack at 19:30 odds? This time the battle was set and resolved OK. I suspect that the occassional glitches like this and others may be due to the age of the code and compiler, from 2007, trying to work smoothly on today's O/S in 2023, 16 years later. I don't know. But if I can't put my finger on a piece of code that isn't working correctly then I can't fix anything. All I can suggest in cases like this is to replay the turn from a previous autosave. If the bug is reproducible, then send me that previous autosave turn.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

A quick update folks. I've spent the past couple of weeks playtesting and running to ground a number of AI performance issues. Some of this stuff is mind-boggling to figure out but I've been enjoying the time to do this rather than chasing reported game bugs. Well, AI bugs ARE bugs too, but most are of my own doing resulting from logic errors or something causing unintended results. Anyways, I've gotten a lot accomplished.

So a heads up. I'm going to playtest a bit more to verify the recent improvements I've made and try to get Hotfix #3 released later this week. This should be the release candidate for the next official patch. Hopefully. If all goes well, I'll try to get it to Matrix production later this month. Keeping fingers crossed!
Bill Macon
roos

Post by roos »

Bug!
Supply route broken.

If I move any of the austrian units in Nicopolis to attack the Turkish unit east from there, they suddenly gets out of supply.
Save.zip
(211.54 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

roos wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:28 am Bug!
Supply route broken.
I tracked this one down to a quirk in the find_path function. This uses map distance checks rather than movement cost checks. So tracing supply back from Adrianople to Nicoplis, area592 to the SW is closer (263 < 286) than area575 to the NW that Au I Corps moved through, making the supply path south of the Turkish unit 4 areas and out of supply. This is also why players see movement areas properly highlighted in white but when they click on the destination area the code attempts to move them using the find_path function which sometimes takes a different route and fails to reach the destination. That's why you need to undo the move and then manually step through the areas to the destination.

That's the short answer. Ideally, the find_path function should look at all valid movement areas and use a similar movement cost check to determine the optimal path to a selected destination. I have some thoughts on this but it's going to take me some more time to investigate and make some changes. If I can resolve this then it will be in the next hotfix. If not then it may have to remain a game quirk for a while longer.

BTW, I did try moving the Austrian units to attack the adjacent Turkish unit to the east and had no problems with that. It was when I tried moving units 3 areas into Adrianople that I noticed the out of supply problem. This didn't happen moving 3 areas to the NE towards Romania. If you had a supply problem with the adjacent area, then I wasn't able to reproduce that to fix anything.

UPDATE. The movement cost option is useful for only identifying reachable areas; it does not explicitly set a movement path to each destination area that could then be used for executing movements or tracing supply paths. I could maybe create a Monte Carlo routine to optimize a path from A to B, but that falls into the "hard" box and might be something I could consider down the road. I did have another inspiration to try a simple reverse path check so I've added that. There may be cases where that would work but in this case the initial move to Sofia is closer than Ruschuk so the reverse path is also to the south of the Turkish unit and not around the north.

I could maybe add a popup warning message during unit movements if the destination area is out of supply and has poor forage. But that would probably get annoying. As it is, players already have an indicator as out of supply units get a yellow highlight. That will have to do.
find_path.jpg
find_path.jpg (355.62 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I was hoping to get Hotfix #3 out this week but I am still playtesting and making AI adjustments. As I see things that don't look right, I investigate and adjust as needed. This is tedious. Good news is that more and more is working very well, but as I make multiple runs there is more opportunity to see something.

For example, today's head-scratcher was seeing AI Russia at war with Sweden look at additional amphib invasions and targeting Abo, but Finland was already conquered. I made an adjustment but it still targeted Abo. Seems it was now targeting Swedish-controlled S.Pomerania, but the code identified its capital as Abo. I don't get that at all. Shaking my head.

I will resume code development next week and get Hotfix #3 out when I am satisfied with how it behaves.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.03 Beta Hotfix #3 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #3 posted. I found and fixed a minor bug with the Prussian IIId depot and updated the setups, and I finally found and fixed a nagging naval movement arrow bug that's annoyed me playing Great Britain and the first fleet move usually generated a spurious Spain movement arrow. Most all of this rest of this update are adjustments to AI behaviors to improve performance. I've done a lot of playtesting of the 1805 and 1812 scenarios, but generally limited to a year of game play.

To summarize the AI performance improvements:
- AI builds and placing reinforcements
- AI place/remove depots
- AI advances/retreats/redeployments
- AI 1805 DOWs
- AI Spain/Turkey focus on North Africa/Ottoman
- AI DOW considerations for Instability and money for supply
- AI amphibious invasions and sea supply

There is still the occassional glitch with the surrender conditions screen. I did another deep-dive this past week into the path-finding function to try to improve it for at least tracing back a supply path. Unfortunately, this is quite complicated as path-finding is used in many cases for both land and sea movements. Other than to add a reverse path check which may improve some cases, I'm going to leave this alone for now. Maybe down the road I'll take another shot at this.

Please consider this Hotfix #3 as a candidate for the next official release patch. I'll give it until the end of the month to see if there are any reported bugs or issues, or any comments for improving AI performance. I plan to playtest some more, going beyond a year of game play to assess things. So there may yet be another hotfix that become the next patch. I hope to get that out in July.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.03 Beta Hotfix #4 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #4 posted. I got a couple of bug reports. One was for a Spanish fleet previously at war with France and blockading Brest with the British Navy. When war ended and access ceased, the code was trying to evacuate the port which had the French trying to run the British blockade. The other was related to some issues with the prisoner exchange code and that took a couple of days to figure out and clean everything up. I tested all combinations of releasing and exchanging leaders and prisoners and I think everything is working now, but tomorrow is another day. When my headache from prisoner code goes away, I will resume some playtesting.

I really would appreciate any comments any players have. Are you having fun? Is there anything you like about the improvements, or any suggestions to adjust anything? Feedback, good and bad, is useful. Thanks in advance. Enjoy!

UPDATE 6/28/2023. I just re-posted Hotfix #4 with a clean build. I made a couple more AI adjustments for Great Britain naval issues, garrisons attacking stronger besiegers, and how Spain and Turkey DOW North Africa minors.
Bill Macon
hapshott

Post by hapshott »

Hello,

I get a message during a battle. I did a flank attack. After that I got the following message in the screenshot.

The blocking force were just the Bavarian troops. The flank troops (French) didn't arrive yet. After arrival I go the same message again.

I did the same again with the fight another day. But now I added some French troops as blocking force. Here I didn't get the message anymore.

This is with Hotfix #4 installed.

Best regards,

Hapshott
Attachments
error_CKEY.PNG
error_CKEY.PNG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1241 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

hapshott wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:42 pm I get a message during a battle. I did a flank attack. After that I got the following message in the screenshot.
Have you got a save for this land combat phase? I haven't done anything lately regarding combats and haven't seen this issue before or gotten any other reports. I'll investigate and see what I can do. But having a good save to reproduce what you're getting helps me to track down the issue and then to verify any fix I make. Sorry about that.
Bill Macon
hapshott

Post by hapshott »

I'm sorry. I only have a save afterwards. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the message with this save.

Perhaps this helps. During the battle it seemed that Napoleon died (I do not see him anymore on the map. Is this possible?

I have added the save. But as mentioned it does not reproduce the error anymore

Best regards,

Hapshott
Attachments
AutoSave Game Land Combat.zip
(206.7 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

hapshott wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:08 pm I'm sorry. I only have a save afterwards. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the message with this save.
Perhaps this helps. During the battle it seemed that Napoleon died (I do not see him anymore on the map. Is this possible?
I tried recreating the battle simulation with both me and AI using Outflank chits and running it several times but I could not reproduce the error. So I don't know, maybe something with the file save.

Along the way today, I made a couple more AI adjustments for Great Britain naval issues, garrisons attacking stronger besiegers, and how Spain and Turkey DOW North Africa minors. So the Hotfix #4 attachment above is rebuilt and posted. Let's see if that works OK.
Bill Macon
hapshott

Post by hapshott »

Hello,

I'm so sorry. But I have another error. But this time I have a save game with which I can produce the error.

Best regards,

Hapshott
Attachments
hapshott.sav.zip
(204.21 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
error_evacuate.PNG
error_evacuate.PNG (284.62 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”