State of game

WarPlan Pacific is an operational level wargame which covers all the nations at war in the Pacific theatre from December 1941 to 1945 on a massive game scale.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Jusepe131

State of game

Post by Jusepe131 »

Hello, a few months ago I bought the game but I was disappointed to see that all the AI attacks were scripted. So even if you attack from another place, the AI had another objective.

This has changed? I am also surprised by how little movement the forum has, it seems that the game sells little and this makes me afraid that it will be abandoned

thank you
DeepTyphoon

Re: State of game

Post by DeepTyphoon »

Jusepe131 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:32 am Hello, a few months ago I bought the game but I was disappointed to see that all the AI attacks were scripted. So even if you attack from another place, the AI had another objective.

This has changed? I am also surprised by how little movement the forum has, it seems that the game sells little and this makes me afraid that it will be abandoned

thank you
I can't say too much about the game's AI as I played against it briefly. Just enought to learn the games mechanics. I like playng against a thinking, plotting, scheming person. I've never seen a wargame AI that can replace a brain.

I will play against you if you want a human opponent.

Regarding the game being abandoned, from what I can see Alvaro Sousa is very engaged with the players of Warplan and wants to produce the highest quality wargame that he can. He's around here and on Steam daily I think.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Yes I troll the forums daily.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

IF you only plan to play against the AI then I do not think this game will be for you.
AI is good for learning the game.

Honestly I have never in my 30+ years of computer games played an AI that was good once I learn the game.
War games just have far to many options for AI. Once you figure out their weakness, and all have them, they just have no chance.
Humans do crazy things that the AI won't or can't think of and that makes the game in my eyes.
Last edited by stjeand on Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

With all the AI talk recently, makes me wonder how much longer this will be true - that an AI in wargaming can't compete with a human. 5 years from now we'll be saying I only play the AI, it's much harder than playing a human. :D

Seriously, though, playing the AI in deep wargames like this or War in the East etc really doesn't work, it's much too easy. Great for learning the mechanics, pretty useless for actually playing the game.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

stjeand wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:50 pm IF you only plan to play against the AI then I do not think this game will be for you.
AI is good for learning the game.

Honestly I have never in my 30+ years of computer games played an AI that was good once I learn the game.
War games just have far to many options for AI. Once you figure out their weakness, and all have them, they just have no change.
Humans do crazy things that the AI won't or can't think of and that makes the game in my eyes.
I am going to quote and frame in a png file for whenever someone asks me if the A.I. is any good.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

MattFL wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:08 pm With all the AI talk recently, makes me wonder how much longer this will be true - that an AI in wargaming can't compete with a human. 5 years from now we'll be saying I only play the AI, it's much harder than playing a human. :D

Seriously, though, playing the AI in deep wargames like this or War in the East etc really doesn't work, it's much too easy. Great for learning the mechanics, pretty useless for actually playing the game.
Technically... it can do it now. But I would need access to a quantum computer version of Deep Mind and about 10 years.

It can play a game of go pretty quickly. Playing WarPlan would take forever.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
generalfdog

Post by generalfdog »

Jusepe131 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:32 am Hello, a few months ago I bought the game but I was disappointed to see that all the AI attacks were scripted. So even if you attack from another place, the AI had another objective.

thank you
I don't think this games going anywhere, it is one of the best supported ones out there Alvaro and experienced players are great at answering questions, there is a wp2 in the works and it has a devoted if smaller community
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Where is the Warplan 2 community. A forum somewhere?

Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

gwgardner wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:51 am Where is the Warplan 2 community. A forum somewhere?
There is a WarPlan 2 wish-list topic in the Warplan forum. Other than that I don't think there is anything official at the moment.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 0&t=371807
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I absolutely agree with the comments about playing the AI. I have a group of friends that I play games like War Plan and WP Pacific with as well as board wargames so it's also the social aspect. Plus there is always a lot discussion about tactics, strategy and turning points in the game. I won't buy a game unless it can be played multiplayer.
On a related subject, today is the 82nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

That’s quite sometimes since I have played a game. My last one was with stjeand. And each time I am thinking of restarting one, I always remember the game mechanics that I don’t like. AI is not my main problem. There are few things that I have in mind but it won’t happen I think. This is more bug fixing now.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Return to “Warplan Pacific”