Requesting a TL;DR of Soviet Naval Doctrine

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Bashkire

Requesting a TL;DR of Soviet Naval Doctrine

Post by Bashkire »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

If anyone has any documentation then I'd be happy to grab that too, but I wonder if anyone has a short summary of what Soviet naval doctrine consists of?

I'm sure that it's lost of none of us that, engagement-wise, their strategy consists of wanging as many SSMs at opposing (see: NATO) surface units as possible and then pushing submarines into the gap to wreck havoc amongst the various carrier groups they expect to face. However, does anyone know of any extra tid-bits? I'm creating a scenario about a small arab nation that has been heavily influenced by their past relations with the Soviet union against a smaller opposing force consisting of little more than a destroyer and a few OPVs with a Western themed amphibious group approaching to render aid (yes - terribly cliche, but it's fun to build).

On top of that, does anyone know of how the Soviet navy and air force interacted and if they had any joint procedures that could be modelled?

It goes without saying that I'm looking mainly in the direction of one user on this forum, residing in the Inferno of the Great White North due to their past history of creating fantastic scenarios along these lines...

Many thanks,
- Bashkire
TBLackey

Re: Requesting a TL;DR of Soviet Naval Doctrine

Post by TBLackey »

Long range bombers from kola peninsula to sink us carriers.

Subs through the GIUK gap to sink Atlantic convoys uboat style
Bashkire

Post by Bashkire »

Cheers mate. That's a nice summary.

Perhaps I should have been slightly clearer; I'm looking for ideas of tactics or common procedures that they would use.
The scenario I'm trying to create is about an Arab state that is becoming somewhat belligerent towards one of their neighbours and, as they used to train with the Soviets before the Berlin Wall fell they naturally use a lot of their tactics.

Essentially: how would a Soviet styled navy use their assets - not the Soviet navy itself.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

This link leads to a CIA translation of Manual on the Conduct of Operations, Part V: Operations of the Navy (Fleet-Flotilla), issued by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the USSR, published by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the USSR in 1963.

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/documen ... 098d509490

Going through its 155 redacted pages it's probably going to be too much effort for some but there are a few golden nuggets and some scenario fodder within.

-C
Bashkire

Post by Bashkire »

That's fantastic! Thank you very much indeed!
Fido81

Post by Fido81 »

At the operational level in the 1970s, they were basically concerned with keeping NATO carrier fleets 2000 km from the Soviet coasts and SSBN bastions.
https://www.cna.org/archive/CNA_Files/p ... -final.pdf discusses this in the context of USN intelligence community politics.
CV60

Post by CV60 »

You might try "Soviet Naval Tactics" by Vego. It is out of print, but it gives a good review of Soviet doctrine from the 1970s. See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08702 ... HWK55XCGG2
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
BDukes

Post by BDukes »

CV60 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:06 am You might try "Soviet Naval Tactics" by Vego. It is out of print, but it gives a good review of Soviet doctrine from the 1970s. See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08702 ... HWK55XCGG2
Ditto on this one. There are a bunch of great diagrams explaining how different configurations of their strike complex work as well as laying out some ranges-spacing and detail-level stuff like that.

Mike
Don't call it a comeback...
Bashkire

Post by Bashkire »

Cheers for finding that stuff, chaps. It's going to be a huge help!
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

Bashkire wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:14 am

On top of that, does anyone know of how the Soviet navy and air force interacted and if they had any joint procedures that could be modelled?
The Soviet Navy: Strengths And Liabilities by Bruce W. Watson

Some chapters available online:

https://books.google.com/books?id=pJnJD ... navlinks_s

SNA.png
SNA.png (78.58 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Return to “The War Room”