[RESOLVED] Scenario Crashing After Unpausing

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

NumberOneBSUFan

[RESOLVED] Scenario Crashing After Unpausing

Post by NumberOneBSUFan »

***UDPATE***
I believe I've resolved the issue. Apparently Command was using my laptop's integrated graphics rather than the onboard GPU. For whatever reason this seemed to cause the software to crash. I've since told Command to use my GPU and haven't had any issues since. Thanks to all those who assisted here, and I'll update this thread should the issue reappear.

Hey all! I've got 750 hours between CMO and CMANO on Steam, and have encountered a strange issue for the first time playing either of these. Specifically, I'll be able to run a scenario for a few minutes before encountering the below error message. The map then turns to white, and I get a red x running through the map. However, the program itself does not crash, and I'm still able to view all the information about my last selected unit on the right side of the screen, as well as all the menu options on the top of the screen. This occurs 100% of the time on the scenarios I'm playing, and always occurs a couple of minutes after I first unpause the program.

I did recently get a new computer, so I don't want to rule out the possibility of a hardware issue. That said, I haven't encountered this issue on other games that I've played. I would also note that I never played Command on this computer prior to the 1.05 update, so I don't have a baseline to compare to on this piece of hardware. If the issue itself is related to the memory on this laptop, I have 64GB of RAM, so I'm not sure why that would be an issue.

Essentially, can someone diagnose those issue and explain whether it's something wrong with Command or my hardware. Secondly, once this issue has been diagnosed, can someone tell me how to fix it? I've attached the error message below. (If save file is needed please let me know as I get an invalid file extension error when I try to attach it.) Thanks for the assistance!

System and Build Information:
OS, Windows 11
Build, V 1.05, Build 1307
Attachments
Error Message.jpg
Error Message.jpg (635.8 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Last edited by NumberOneBSUFan on Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
thewood1

Re: Scenario Crashing After Unpausing

Post by thewood1 »

I'll ask the age-old question...did you install the directx that is included with CMO?
NumberOneBSUFan

Since I installed it through Steam, my assumption is that it would be installed with the game? If this isn't the case, would you be able to run me through what I need to do to get the correct version installed? I'm running DirectX 12 currently.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

That you are running dx12 doesn't really mean much. My understanding is that, like a lot of games, CMO uses DX9/10 libraries in its build. DX12 most likely leaves out some older libraries. I have seen people skip the installation of DX9 because they think they have DX12 and they are covered.

I know in the Matrix install is in a "PreRequisites" folder in the game directory. I'm not sure how Steam does it.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Might be worth it reading through some of the pinned threads also. But this one in particular.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 0&t=285249
NumberOneBSUFan

Ok I gotcha. That thread you posted has given me some stuff to tinker with. I'll try and install DX9 as well and see if that helps fix the issue. Seriously thank you for all the help with this so far!
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I installed my Steam CMO on a new PC about 4 weeks ago and just checked and have DirectX 12. Have not encountered anything abnormal. Steam is supposed to be sort of plug and play, so if there is an issue (perhaps a corner case), the developers would be very interested in what's happening.
Last edited by kevinkins on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
NumberOneBSUFan

Ok that's good to know. I have managed to find a couple of cases in the forums from a few years back where people have run into the same thing, but nothing too recent.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Some frequent culprits:

* Is the OS fully updated? Graphics drivers updated? Direct-X 9 installed?
* Is Command running as admin? (ie. prompting you "are you sure you want to run this program" when you launch it)
* (Steam only) Are Steam overlays disabled for Command?
* (Steam only) Is Direct-Write disabled on the Steam client?
* Are all other applications (and especially hardware-helper apps like RivaTuner, Nahimic, MSI Afterburner etc.) shut down?
* Are you using a high-DPI desktop? (ie. font size >100%)
* Are you using Norton antivirus? (This POS is very frequently silently blocking file updates)
NumberOneBSUFan

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. I am using a high DPI laptop. 4k with scaling set to 250%.
7. No
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Resolved according to updated OP.
thewood1

Re: [RESOLVED] Scenario Crashing After Unpausing

Post by thewood1 »

Do we know what the issue was. For future reference.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

"***UDPATE***
I believe I've resolved the issue. Apparently Command was using my laptop's integrated graphics rather than the onboard GPU. For whatever reason this seemed to cause the software to crash. I've since told Command to use my GPU and haven't had any issues since."

Why that matters would be interesting to know since I had the same issue with CM on a new laptop but NOT CMO on the same laptop. Go figure. In any event, the player is up and running.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

2x post
Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

My suspicion is its driver related. There have been some big changes in Intel GPUs over the last couple years and these have caused numerous issues with games.
NumberOneBSUFan

It's certainly a strange issue to have run into, especially since I've never encountered the crashing anywhere else. That said, I've never been a big fan of integrated graphics in general, as it always seems to cause issues. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it were to blame in this case.

Return to “Tech Support”