NI Scenario 1 - Flickering Contacts

Command: Northern Inferno is a DLC for Command: Modern Operations. Set in 1975, the Cold War is omnipresent and beneath the veneer of détente the tension between the two superpowers irreversibly escalate towards the ultimate confrontation.

Moderator: MOD_Command

FelixCulpa

NI Scenario 1 - Flickering Contacts

Post by FelixCulpa »

Just starting to play NI. Checked out a few vids on scenario 1 on Youtube etc.

The submarine contacts are flickering up to 200nm. On the Youtube vids I saw, the contact was firmly identified.

Is this intentional? ie to reflect SOSUS only getting a bearing to target not the distance?

kch

RE: NI Scenario 1 - Flickering Contacts

Post by kch »

It is a matter of time and sensors.. the typical first contact is just a bearing and you do not the distance to the target, so you will see a contact within a large rectangular shape. Sometimes it will show up in the middle of Greenland.
FelixCulpa

Post by FelixCulpa »

thx kch for the response.

I'm guessing the scenario behaviour has "changed" since how it earlier played (if Youtube examples are anything to go by).

Also, probably a lesson in selecting don't check contacts outside of patrol area and setting RoE sub-surface attacks to a more aggressive stance.
i224747

Post by i224747 »

See also "Tech Support / Subs seem to constantly vary depth". Player operated subs have massive errors since the 1.14.3.1 Update (15. may).
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I'm bumping. I had the same experience. I was about to post an almost identical question in the forum, as I did the same thing as you - tried the 1st mission 3 times, had lousy results, and watched a playthrough on youtube. That video (2-3 years old) has steady contacts with almost no variance in spotting from SOSUS, but for me I'm seeing them bounce all over the place.

I've dropped sonobuoys everywhere but have only managed to kill one sub while they've sunk a number of my ships. My guess is that the SOSUS sensitivity has been detuned or something like that.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

Latest try I switched strategies and managed to kill everything with no losses. Nonetheless SOSUS doesn't seem to give much accuracy in spotting. As a result, I watched my Nimrod's and Orion's constantly switch course as they made their way to the patrol zone, eventually landing on the correct spot. I could have manually intervened and directed each ship to where I believed the subs were (based on their consistently appearing in roughly the same spot) but I wanted to do it automatically using patrol zones. A compromise might have been to create the patrol zones, manually send the fighters to various form up points and then add them to each mission once on station.
TheCabal

Post by TheCabal »

I'm experiencing problems too. Somehow my patrols aren't efficient enough, takes ages for assigned orions to drop the torpedoes.. constantly fighting to adjust the ASW patrol area and letting them do their job inside it. Sometimes they locate them, but they just keep on searching.... maybe some other aircraft wanted to destroy the sub and thats why the one near the contact didn't engange. If I assign an Orion to attack a sub directly (no 100% known location but small uncertainty zone)... he just chooses the edge of a uncertainty zone (which constantly changes) and well.... tries to fly only towards it, circling around the ever-changing edge of the u-zone. Seems I'm missing something here.

If there are various SOSUS arrays... they should give a good estimation on the subs position instead of a long dagger-like uncertainty zone.
TheCabal

Post by TheCabal »

Wow... a year has passed, no comment on that strange SOSUS behavior?
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Hi
SOSUS in real life can give you strange results it could take days to firm up a contact good enough for you to drop a weapon on it, I served on CATAS Ships in the 1980's working with SOSUS and MPA and it would take afew days to get a firm contact
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
gord96

Post by gord96 »

I played NI in the old Command and enjoyed it and thought i'd try it again in Modern Operations. Definitely not the same feel. Not sure if it's bugged or not. One thing that stuck out was I had a firm contact on a sub and launched two fish at it. Neither hit. They always went in a circle and then would run out of steam. So I then dropped 2 nuke depth charges on the sub and neither one destroyed it. Odd for sure. When I played it the first time, those nuke depth charges would take those subs out no problem.
Schr75

Post by Schr75 »

Hi gord96

I just tried that scen in both the latest public release and the internal beta, and everything worked ok.
Have you downloaded the DLC for CMO or have you just copied the files from CMANO to the new CMO install?

The reason I ask is that this sounds like you may be using and old version of the scen that´s not compatible with CMO.
Try making a deep rebuild of the scen.

This might help, but without a save game it´s very hard to pinpoint the error.

One last thing.
If you find something that you think is a bug, please start a new thread instead of adding it to an existing one.
Otherwise it´s almost impossible for the devs to keep track of the bugs and fix them.

Søren
gord96

Post by gord96 »

Thanks Soren. I am thinking it's the DLC as I haven't ever had the old version of CMANO or NI on my current PC. I'll try it again.
Darren_H_slith

Post by Darren_H_slith »

I have to agree with your opinion that the SOSUS "feels wrong". I have had a SOSUS contact locked to a very small positional uncertainty, with thousands of data points and almost a full days data collection. The course shown is 166 degrees at 5 knots, -98 feet. The next couple of updates then show a course basically 180 degrees and a several miles long uncertainty. That's one hell of a super quiet Soviet sub with unreal speed. Obviously, in real life, we would chuck away outlier data like this until at least a threshold of samples have been taken and we have decent confidence that the new data is reasonable.

Plotting SOSUS solutions over Greenland or other land masses is also obviously nonsense. They should end at the coast lines. A SOSUS solution should do a sanity check to see if its actually in water?

Return to “Command: Northern Inferno”