Can Operation Opera be accomplished?

Shifting Sands traces the history of many Arab-Israeli conflicts: from the sidelines of the Suez crisis, through the lightning Six-Day War, the guerilla-like War Of Attrition and the strategic surprise of the Yom Kippur War, all the way to the historic Osirak raid and the epic air battle over the Bekaa Valley
fatgreta1066

Can Operation Opera be accomplished?

Post by fatgreta1066 »

I'm curious about this. I've tried several times to accomplish this while giving the planes the specific orders as outlined in the scenario briefing. At 50 miles out, as soon as the fighters fly up toward 25000 feet and the strikers fly up toward 5000 feet, they are engaged and destroyed by SAMs, fighters, or both. I can't figure out a way to get the planes in and out without being slaughtered. The Israeli's actually did it, so theoretically it can be done, but has anyone else found success?
YukariYakumo

Re: Can Operation Opera be accomplished?

Post by YukariYakumo »

Quickly bringing the strikers up from the south but staying low longer than the mission calls for, I am able to hit both reactors consistently.

In the real life version of the mission, the Iraqis supposedly forgot to turn on one of the radars, and some of the SAM operators were out to a midday meal! Not so in the game :)
HalfLifeExpert

Re: Can Operation Opera be accomplished?

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

YukariYakumo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:26 am Quickly bringing the strikers up from the south but staying low longer than the mission calls for, I am able to hit both reactors consistently.

In the real life version of the mission, the Iraqis supposedly forgot to turn on one of the radars, and some of the SAM operators were out to a midday meal! Not so in the game :)
Yeah the thing is the Iraqi attention was directed eastward toward the Iranians, and those who screwed up with the western-facing air defenses ended up with a bullet in the head!

Return to “Command: Shifting Sands”