Scen 8 - The SAM Busters

Shifting Sands traces the history of many Arab-Israeli conflicts: from the sidelines of the Suez crisis, through the lightning Six-Day War, the guerilla-like War Of Attrition and the strategic surprise of the Yom Kippur War, all the way to the historic Osirak raid and the epic air battle over the Bekaa Valley
RedBunny

Scen 8 - The SAM Busters

Post by RedBunny »

Making my first attempts at this one and I see I need to learn some basics on SEAD but that's not why I'm writing now.

During the scenario the player is called on to attack a Syrian armored unit that's giving the Israeli 75th tank battalion a hard time, but in the actual play of the scenario the Syrians need the help! As soon as the ground forces near the Israeli ground forces are marked Hostile all Israeli forces close on the Syrians with guns blazing.

My attacks on the SAM sites and Syrian armor wasn't going so well when I scored an automatic victory with over 3 hours of time left.

So my question: is there any way to freeze the Israeli ground forces so they do nothing this scenario? I didn't see any way to set WRA for these units and I tried to just move them out of the area but they always want to turn around and attack the helpless Syrians. I even set the Syrian mobile units to Friendly and that helped but isn't a solution.

So in my opinion this scenario is broken. I think a better design would be to not have the Israeli armored unit on the map at all. Better, it would be cool if the Syrian side earns x VPs every y number of minutes for every z number of Syrian armored units on the map. This would add the urgency for the player deal with the Syrian armor the scenario background and events imply should be there.

Anyway, I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts and opinions!

Return to “Command: Shifting Sands”