Mission 1 Invasion fuel planning

“Command - Desert Storm” is a DLC for Command: Modern Operations, the premier game of air, naval & strategic warfare and the choice of serious hobbyists and defence professionals alike.

Moderators: Surtur, Matrix Games Staff

nico71

Mission 1 Invasion fuel planning

Post by nico71 »

Can anyone tell me what the a/c loadout modifiers are for fuel consumption? The burn rate value in the database only gives a base value for a clean configuration. Planning is a bit tricky without it and not very realistic either.
ljdramone

RE: Mission 1 Invasion fuel planning

Post by ljdramone »

I don't know of any source for the modifiers.

If you're playing the DS scenarios as a campaign, opening one of the individual scenarios won't affect your campaign progress.

My solution was to open the scenario in standalone mode (not in the campaign) and do some flight tests.
Order the aircraft you're interested in to take off and fly at whatever altitude, and note the actual fuel consumption.

I use a spreadsheet to do time/speed/distance/fuel calculations for long-range flights. If I'm feeling retro I can pull out an old "whiz-wheel" flight computer from my collection.

ljdramone

Post by ljdramone »

Oh, and a great circle route from the US to the sandbox goes over parts of the world where the Coalition couldn't fly in 1990.

I created a giant no-nav zone over Russia (still the Soviet Union then, but not for long), Eastern Europe, and Switzerland to make the CONUS ferry flights more realistic.

The Swiss did not allow military overflights until a couple of months after DS started.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: nico71

Can anyone tell me what the a/c loadout modifiers are for fuel consumption? The burn rate value in the database only gives a base value for a clean configuration. Planning is a bit tricky without it and not very realistic either.
You realize that you can set up situations using the Editor to get all of the mission parameters that you need and then incorporate that data into your mission planning. Takes a bit of effort but it has the advantage of being both realistic and the way that air forces work when they certify weapons for aircraft.

What is not realistic is expecting that the developers will produce fuel-usage data for every one of the 100,000 or so loadout combinations available in DB3000 and the CWDB for free and just to make things easy for you personally. They have provided all of the tools necessary to develop all the data that you need so invoking some phoney concept of "not very realistic" is actually pretty lame.

-C

Return to “Command: Desert Storm”