Command: Desert Storm has been announced!

“Command - Desert Storm” is a DLC for Command: Modern Operations, the premier game of air, naval & strategic warfare and the choice of serious hobbyists and defence professionals alike.

Moderators: Surtur, Matrix Games Staff

Daniele

Command: Desert Storm has been announced!

Post by Daniele »

On August 2, 1990, Iraq’s ground forces invaded and occupied Kuwait. 40% of the world’s oil production, and the developed world’s economy, was placed in imminent threat by Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. In response, the United States promptly assembled an international coalition to attack and expel Iraqi forces out of Kuwait, and to eliminate Hussein’s capability to repeat such an act in the future. What followed would forever transform the face of war.

Command: Desert Storm has been announced! Relive the pivotal events of the conflict that sealed the Cold War and radically changed the Middle East geopolitical landscape.

The massive coalition build-up following the Iraqi invasion; The first night over Baghdad on January 17, 1991; the “do or die” strike that stopped Iraq’s chemical retaliation in the nick of time; the frustrating “Scud hunts” all over the Iraqi desert; coalition attacks on Iraq’s airfields; the annihilation of the Iraqi navy at Bubiyan, the “highway of death” during the Iraqi retreat from Kuwait, and much more.

Additionally, step into the unknown as you probe the great unanswered questions of the conflict: What if Iraq had pre-empted the coalition build-up and rolled right into S.Arabia? What if Israel had retaliated for the Scud attacks against it? What if Iran or even the Soviet Union had intervened against the coalition?

Command: Desert Storm is a new DLC/Standalone release for Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, the premier game of air, naval & strategic warfare and the choice of serious hobbyists and defence professionals alike. Fourteen historical & hypothetical campaign scenarios plus a bonus contemporary standalone scenario cover the major actions that marked the conflict, allowing you to explore the events that happened - and the ones that could easily have.

Get more information from the official Product Page

Features

- A standalone expansion for Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, 2013's Wargame of the Year: play as a single, separate game, or add it to your collection of scenarios for CMANO.
- 14 campaign scenarios plus a modern-day Israel-vs-Iran scenario written by Wayne Stiles Retired USAF veteran and CMANO community star.
- Using CMANO’s acclaimed continuous real-time simulation engine with new wrinkles in the realm of air & naval warfare.
- The complete arsenal of modern warfare at your disposal: Stealth fighters, cruise missiles, tactical air & attack fighters, strike bombers, close support aircraft, heavy bombers, surface ships & submarines and even hypothetical platforms like the navalized F-117X, the A-12 Avenger II stealth naval bomber and the radically modernized Iowa-class battleship as BBG-1.
- Bonus 2019 standalone scenario: Israel attacks Iran’s nuclear forces.

Airborne Rifles

RE: Command: Desert Storm has been announced!

Post by Airborne Rifles »

Awesome! Can’t wait.
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1733838503?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
And our web site:
http://northernfury.us/
Sniper31

Post by Sniper31 »

This is exciting news! Having served in Desert Shield and Storm, I am really looking forward to this release. I was but a young private back then, and was only in the beginning of my long military career, but that conflict is basically where it all started for me. Bring it on! [:D]
"I say again, expend ALL remaining in my perimeter!" - Platoon

"This is JB27, on target...fire for effect.." - Me
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Just to get the juices flowing check out Desert Storm Air War by Corrigan.

DWReese

Post by DWReese »

I'm in.
AKar

Post by AKar »

ORIGINAL: Duck Doc

Just to get the juices flowing check out Desert Storm Air War by Corrigan.
Thanks for recommendation. Seems good, easy read this far! [:)]

I'll certainly get this one - like any other CMANO expansion really! [:)] - even if the Desert Storm never was on the top of my interest list for a game scenario. From historical perspective, a perfect opportunity to study this conflict some.
JamesHunt

Post by JamesHunt »

Awesome!
KenPrescott

Post by KenPrescott »

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
FIaps

Post by FIaps »

My guesses for what the scenarios entail. Corrections by those in the know greatly welcomed [;)]

Invasion - Kuwaiti Air Force resisting the Iraqi attack, Triumph is still a loss but Iraqi Pyrrhic Victory

The Thin Red Line - USSR reinforces Iraq and you have to strike targets in Kuwait without turning the Reds red? Red Sea CBG strikes on Iraq-occupied Saudi Arabia? Or the 'nick of time' mission referenced where you have to stop a VX/Sarin SCUD barrage?

First Night - Duh. Apaches TOT strike on the early warning radars. Strike eagles on H2/H3. F-117s on C3I, Spark Vark maneuver kills? You should throw in that TR-3B triangle that moves at mach 50 and drops incapacitation agents on the republican guard that makes them eat each other for added realism.

The Gates of Hell - Package Q Strike? Sounds nukey though. There was already a community scenario where you nuke Iraq for using chemical scuds. Bit too easy though.
Scud Hunt - The Coalition had a hard time tracking these things and didn't get many. I'm guessing this gives you the option for much greater success maybe using the F-117X and A-12? The A-6Es in the screenshot suggest USN rather than strike eagles/A-10s.

Reviving a Giant - BB Iowa/RQ-2 UAVs. Or the hypothetical Iowa referenced in the OP.

Israel Stands Up - They get involved because of a nasty SCUD hit, the Arab coalition pulls out and the USAF has to pull out of Saudi Arabia?

BUFFed Up - B-52s go further in than the frontline and it gets trickier with more air defense layers and interceptors?

Alliances - US has to pull out of Saudi Arabia because of Israel joining the war? Random event decides which Arab coalition members deny use of their airspace and there's a bunch of ferry missions? Iran and/or USSR gets involved with some alternate history i.e. Gorbachev got photoshop'd?

Reprisals - Playing as the Iraqi air force? Ras Tanura? A alternate-timeline last ditch kamikaze air raid by the Iraqis instead of fleeing to Iran?

Extreme Prejudice - Bunker-busting until you get Saddam?

Bubiyan - Got to be the destruction of the Iraqi navy, Silkworm threat

Shooting Gallery - Highway of Death, I'm wondering if this will be both a weapons-delivery training mission and history lesson because I can't see the challenge.

Liberation - Apache strikes, maybe aerial recon during one of the massive tank battles like 73 Easting?

Israeli Counter punch - The modern day Israel v Iran scenario.

Interested to see how wrong I am.
KenPrescott

Post by KenPrescott »

We got a release date yet?
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

When we do, we won't keep it a secret [:)]
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Wow this is exciting.
KenPrescott

Post by KenPrescott »

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?