Scenario 1 Woes

A new DLC from Command Modern Operations, recreates a "what if" conflict between NATO and Communist powers; a theoretical sequel of the "Northern Inferno 1975"
BobTank63

RE: Scenario 1 Woes

Post by BobTank63 »

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Bob, could you share a save or a screenshot showing where the Golf was towards the end of the game?

There is an event for the Soviet Union to go hostile if the Golf is detected while it is in a specific zone around the island, which worked when I played it.

However, if the sub maybe stayed outside the zone, because of the pathfinding issues some players have been reporting, then this would not happen. So I was wondering where the sub actually was?

Alright, I ran it again and the scenario worked fine. I detected the sub closer to the TTW this time and I got the message saying "shoot it if fired upon". Two Fitters then perform an attack run on the Bedford and I then splash the Fitters, sink the sub, and blow up the tender with Harpoons from a P-3.

The only issue I saw is that I think the Fitters are operating at extreme range as they turned back right before attacking. I went back to a previous save, slowed down the Bedford, and the Fitters performed the attack.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

I played the scenario three times today. I got the "periscope" marker all three times, so I narrowed the P3s search around it, with the ships pinging away (Operation: GOLF STOP). Every time I made the area around the periscope sighting a bit bigger. On the third attempt I even wondered if the periscope report was a kind of false sighting.Nothing. No Fitter strike, no Golf, Zero (0) points every time (even when I torpedoed a biological, cough...)

I guess that this scenario needs more work - the Russians simply never activated.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I had better success controlling the P-3(s) manually, including when to drop sonobuoys, with a hefty helping of active ones. I found I pretty much had to drop a sonobuoy right on top of it to find it. Hope that helps without giving away anything.

Dave
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
ljdramone

Post by ljdramone »

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The Soviets go hostile if and only if the Golf is detected inside Norwegian territorial waters (the TTW zone) around Svalbard.
If you send Bedford to the periscope datum at flank and detect the sub quickly, it'll be outside the zone.

I tracked the sub until it was inside the zone, then dropped and reacquired the contact.
Once the Soviet side is hostile, a low P-3 pass over the sub tender will draw fire and give Captain Finlander* the excuse he needs to attack the Golf and start WW3.

* Commanding officer in the 1965 movie "The Bedford Incident".
Darren_H_slith

Post by Darren_H_slith »

My Orion flew over the Golf. It was not classified as hostile, just Goblin. It launched a torpedo and attacked anyhow.
Deathbunny

Re: Scenario 1 Woes

Post by Deathbunny »

Just ran through this scenario and had the exact same issue - even though BEDFORD was trailing the GOLF, banging away with active sonar and all well within Norwegian TTWs, absolutely nothing happened and scenario timed out.

Went back to a save I made just before I had BEDFORD prosecute the PROBSUB contact and noticed that at no point did the contact get positively identified as a GOLF SSB. So, sent the on station Orion over to prosecute as well (being very careful to make sure ASW weapons were set to HOLD!) and got an immediate CERTSUB hit. At this point both the PRIMORYE and the NOVOSIBIRSK also turned hostile and were shot with Harpoons from the Orion, while BEDFORD torpedoed the GOLF.

Scenario ended with a score of 200, a TRIUMPH rating, no admonishment for firing first and no FITTER airstrike against BEDFORD!
BobTank63

Re: Scenario 1 Woes

Post by BobTank63 »

Replaying Red Tide because it was fun. Poking around after this scenario was over revealed that the Soviets only go hostile (and the Fitter strike is only made active) when the Golf is detected in the TTW. If you pick it up outside the TTW, the event won't trigger (player gets notified of this when they get the "Golf Spotted" message). So you have to either wait to detect it in the TTW, or track it until it enters the TTW, then drop and reacquire.

Return to “Command: Red Tide”