Question: package vs mission

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Wargamer77

Question: package vs mission

Post by Wargamer77 »

Can someone explain how packages are different from missions? If a single type aircrafts/load outs are used, we all missions and if there are multiple different types then it’s called packages?

Could someone illustrate how one would choose one vs the other in a scenario? Thanks.
lumiere

Re: Question: package vs mission

Post by lumiere »

Package is almost same as missions except that Package need to create Task Pool and assign its units.
(Unit loadouts are irrelevant except unit groups will be consist of aircraft with same loadout)

From Dev's War Planner article (https://command.matrixgames.com/?p=5492):

"You can interact with the Packages just like you would in a normal Mission. Expect every functionality to be the same, and every setting to work exactly in the same way. The only limitation would be that only units from the parent Task Pool can be assigned to the target Package."
"How Do You Stay Calm With A 7,000 Ton Nuclear Predator Listening For Your Heartbeat?"
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

if I try to summarize the difference of package vs mission:

in short, simple scenarios, with few bases, few units, it is kind of irrelevant to use task pools and packages, you can do the same with standard missions

in a complex scenario, with multiple units of the same type spread across multiple bases, trying to set normal missions would be a nightmare, hence they developed task pools and packages to make it easier to organize

am I correct?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Thats basically what I have used as a defining point on packages. Its really for complex OOBs and missions.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”