Hows the Queen E. DLC?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

SchDerGrosse

Hows the Queen E. DLC?

Post by SchDerGrosse »

There arent much information available on this particular DLC apart from a few negative(ish) Steam reviews and the ocassional (and short) posts in the forum's subsection.

From these I could gather that:
- it is a rather big scenario, requiring the management of many units;
- the scenario is seriosuly lacking not only flavour text but actual information on what the player should do (there are only 2 special messages and the player is left in the dark with regards to any changes in ROE);
- therefore the conclusion seems to be that it is not a very well designed and scripted mission, that could (have) use(d) some more fine tuning and playtesting (see the weird behaviour of Taiwan etc.).

Whats your take on the DLC, and is it worth your time?

Thanks,
TBLackey

Re: Hows the Queen E. DLC?

Post by TBLackey »

Much like being a real naval commander, your orders are both vague yet overly specific, restrictive yet you will be crucified if you don't respond appropriately.

If you accept these parameters and try to make the best of it, this DLC scenario is fun.

Otherwise it may not be for you.
SchDerGrosse

Post by SchDerGrosse »

My question was really about whether the bugs have been iron out not.

There are some feedback in the DLC section regarding some problems/oversights.

Went ahead and purchased the DLC anyway and it seems that the devs didnt touch out it after the release. See for example that the airfields under player controll (Kadena and Brunei) still have zero extra munition in them.

Bought the Kuryl Sunrise scenario as well and it turns out that the designer forgot to set the "radars on" option in the CAP zone therefore the russkies are just flying blindly.

Whats up with Matrix and its half baked, untested DLCs? :evil:
tylerblakebrandon

Post by tylerblakebrandon »

SchDerGrosse wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm
Went ahead and purchased the DLC anyway and it seems that the devs didnt touch out it after the release. See for example that the airfields under player controll (Kadena and Brunei) still have zero extra munition in them.

Sounds like the scenario got a DB update without applying the INI file. I haven't played the QE showcase since around release and don't remember having that issue.
Kushan04

Post by Kushan04 »

SchDerGrosse wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm Went ahead and purchased the DLC anyway and it seems that the devs didnt touch out it after the release. See for example that the airfields under player controll (Kadena and Brunei) still have zero extra munition in them.
Considering this issue has never been reported, and if so never brought to my attention, exactly how was I expected to fix it? Or maybe, I'd have to go look, the scenario designer never intended for there to be reloads.
blu3s

Post by blu3s »

Swant

Post by Swant »

yes dose DB rebuilds almost always causes problems. I think the original version should always be included, then if you want to you can do a proper rebuild yourself
Stanley_The_Rolmate

Post by Stanley_The_Rolmate »

Kushan04 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm
SchDerGrosse wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm Went ahead and purchased the DLC anyway and it seems that the devs didnt touch out it after the release. See for example that the airfields under player controll (Kadena and Brunei) still have zero extra munition in them.
Considering this issue has never been reported, and if so never brought to my attention, exactly how was I expected to fix it? Or maybe, I'd have to go look, the scenario designer never intended for there to be reloads.
The airbase magazines were probably meant to have weapons in them, as after rebuilding the scenario using the ini the reloads are present.
SchDerGrosse

Post by SchDerGrosse »

Kushan04 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm
There are like three threads regarding this issue.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 6#p5078566 (as brought up by blu3s)

but see also:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 3&t=387572

and

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 3&t=387710

And these seem to be present from day 0 of the release. I can totally accept it if its WAD, but then please confirm that it is an intended scenario design choice.

Edit: the purpose of this topic is for me to decide whether it is worth pouring hours into this complex scenario or not because i will encounter some annoying bugs.

To me it seems that the guys at Matrix come up with a cool concept, someone builds a scenario around it then they simply toss it to the massess without doing any playtesting (see my Kuryl Island comment, it literally took me 5 minutes to realize that the CAP mission had an EMCON setting with the radars "off").
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

SchDerGrosse wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 pm To me it seems that the guys at Matrix come up with a cool concept, someone builds a scenario around it then they simply toss it to the massess without doing any playtesting (see my Kuryl Island comment, it literally took me 5 minutes to realize that the CAP mission had an EMCON setting with the radars "off").
You should join the private beta group, and show the rest of us cavemen how proper pre-release testing is done.

Up to it? Or just talking the talk?
SchDerGrosse

Post by SchDerGrosse »

Dimitris wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:15 am
SchDerGrosse wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 pm To me it seems that the guys at Matrix come up with a cool concept, someone builds a scenario around it then they simply toss it to the massess without doing any playtesting (see my Kuryl Island comment, it literally took me 5 minutes to realize that the CAP mission had an EMCON setting with the radars "off").
You should join the private beta group, and show the rest of us cavemen how proper pre-release testing is done.

Theres no need for the tone.

I have paid like EUR 200 for this game, is it that surprising that I expect a more refined product?

And yes, the best course of action for me as a paying customer would be to become a voluntary beta tester so I can contribute to ironing out the bugs present in the downloadable content Matrix is charging me for. Brilliant.
Edmon

Post by Edmon »

SchDerGrosse wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:58 am

I have paid like EUR 200 for this game, is it that surprising that I expect a more refined product?

And yes, the best course of action for me as a paying customer would be to become a voluntary beta tester so I can contribute to ironing out the bugs present in the downloadable content Matrix is charging me for. Brilliant.
Firstly, I'd like to apologise for Dimitris's response here. He's just really passionate about his game and I am sure he didn't intend to sound as hostile as he did here.

Command is very much at the cutting edge of simulation technology and is being improved all the time. It is not, and will never be, as bug free or as tested as we would like. Every developer would love to have infinite resources with which to work on the projects they love, but almost everyone relies on players and fans to help make games the best they can possibly be.

If you don't want to be a part of that process, that's fine. I get it, you've paid for a game and you want it to be perfect out of the box. But, with a game as complex and ever evolving as Command is, that's never going to be possible. Real militaries use this software, and it's always changing to meet the latest information and requirements of those organizations.

It will always have issues because it is always moving forward, as does any game that is regularly patched and is regularly adding content.

I hope that this does not detract from your enjoyment of Command.

Regards,
Edmon
Slitherine Games - Community Manager - Italian Office

Any questions, concerns or comments about our Community Forums or Games? You are always welcome to drop me a PM.
SchDerGrosse

Post by SchDerGrosse »

Edmon wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:35 pm
SchDerGrosse wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:58 am

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for Dimitris's response here. He's just really passionate about his game and I am sure he didn't intend to sound as hostile as he did here.

Command is very much at the cutting edge of simulation technology and is being improved all the time. It is not, and will never be, as bug free or as tested as we would like. Every developer would love to have infinite resources with which to work on the projects they love, but almost everyone relies on players and fans to help make games the best they can possibly be.

If you don't want to be a part of that process, that's fine. I get it, you've paid for a game and you want it to be perfect out of the box. But, with a game as complex and ever evolving as Command is, that's never going to be possible. Real militaries use this software, and it's always changing to meet the latest information and requirements of those organizations.

It will always have issues because it is always moving forward, as does any game that is regularly patched and is regularly adding content.

I hope that this does not detract from your enjoyment of Command.

Regards,
Edmon
Unfortunately the same goes for me as well (regarding being passionate about the game). I have clocked in 701 hours into CMO according to Steam.

As for wanting an out of the box perfect game, yes it would be nice, but I do accept that such a complicated software bound to have new bugs with each and every update.

My problem lays with the fact that Matrix seems to overly rely on the community when it comes to bugfixing, instead of using professional (or volunteer) beta testers. Take the Queen Elizabeth DLC for example. According to the report of other forum members, the "empty magazine issue" is present from the release of the War Planner update. Looks like that noone checked whether the new release broke the preexisting scenarios or not..

Anyways, I have made a bug report about it.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”