Review and Editing of Unit Descriptions

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

PN79

RE: IDEA/PROPOSAL: Community creation/review of unit description

Post by PN79 »

From a german language forum: https://www.flugzeugforum.de/threads/be ... 308/page-4

1) SPS-141/-142/143 'Siren': forward radiation only, jamming of only one frequency band, two jamming programs; MiG-21MF-75/bis, Su-7, early Su-17, Su-20 in external containers, MiG-23BN internally installed etc.

2) SPS-141M/-142M 'Siren-FScha': forward radiation only, interference possible over two adjacent frequency bands, four? jamming programs; MiG-27 installed internally

3) SPS-141MWG/-142MWG/-143MWG 'Gwozdika': forward and backward radiation, interference possible over two adjacent frequency bands, four jamming programs; late Su-17/22, Su-25 in external containers etc.

The first variant "Siren" has two different containers:
- for Su-7, Su-17 (wing pod) see https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=30
- for MiG-21 (fuselage pod which contain also chaff dispenser) see https://modelweb.eu/wp-content/gallery/ ... S-1413.jpg
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

ORIGINAL: CV60

Claud-Unfortuantely, I'm not a member of that board, (which requires board accesss to view posts). I don't see where to sign up for membership. Could you copy the interesting comments and post them here? ALternatively, if you are not comfortable with that, do you have a link where I can apply to join the board?

I couldn't find the register page either. That's a bugger. I'll ask around to see how it's supposed to be done there.

Meanwhile, please find attached a pdf print of the pages that mentions the SPS-141 (Russian-Soviet Airborne ECM (equipment and tactics).zip)

Edit :
Re: @gmail.com
Postby Tom » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:16 pm

OK, since one can't have a quiet evening without DDOS attacks by ******* spammers, and until further notice, I've shut down all the registrations of new accounts, no matter what e-mail accounts are used.
Tom Cooper
Editor, ACIG.info
Series Editor, @War series
Helion & Co.
OK, since one can't have a quiet evening without DDOS attacks by ******* spammers, and until further notice, I've shut down all the registrations of new accounts, no matter what e-mail accounts are used.

I've asked if there's a reopening planned, and I'll keep you updated.
Attachments
RussianSo..tactics.zip
(2.67 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 Go, Windows 10 64bits, 32 GB RAM, Regional settings = French, Belgium
(Previously known as JanMasters0n)
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

DRAFT edit of the existing #1897 R-60M description file, Weapon_1897.txt, for review

OVERVIEW: The R-60M (NATO reporting name: AA-8 "Aphid") is a short-range lightweight infrared homing air-to-air missile. It has a 3 kg HE warhead with an active laser proximity fuse.

DETAILS: Developed by Molniya Design Bureau, the R-60M (izdeliye 62) is a very small predecessor of the R-73 missile, with the same general appearance and less than half the weight. It has no gas control and a more limited off-bore sight angle, of +/- 20°.
It has four rectangular fixed canards and four triangular moving control fins at the nose, with four long-chord clipped-tip delta-wings at the rear. The four fixed delta-wings have `Sidewinder' type rollerons at the trailing-edge for roll stabilisation.
Its 3 kg HE fragmentation warhead contains 1.6 kg of uranium.

Specifications:

Weight: 43 kg
Length: 2.09 m
Diameter: 0.12 m (missile)
Range:
-Max 3.89 nm (7.2 km)
-Min 0.1 nm (200 m)

NOTES: IOC 1982. Used by Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic,
Georgia, Germany, Hungary, India, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Montenegro, North Korea, Libya, Malaysia, Poland, Romania, Serbia and
Slovakia, Sudan, Syria, Ukraine, Vietnam.

As of 2017, this missile remains in limited service on Russian Su-24, Su-25 and MiG-31 aircraft and with various export operators.

SOURCES: Jane's Air-Launched Weapons, Issue 27, 1997 ; Butowski, Piotr. Russia's Air-Launched Weapons: Russian-Made Aircraft Ordnance Today. Houston, Harpia Publishing, 2017. Page 43.

Original :

Code: Select all

OVERVIEW:The Molniya (now Vympel) R-60 (NATO reporting name: AA-8 "Aphid") is a short-range lightweight infrared homing air-to-air missile designed for use by Soviet fighter aircraft.

DETAILS: the R-60M (NATO reporting name: "Aphid-B"), using a nitrogen-cooled seeker with an expanded view angle of ¡¾20¡Æ, was introduced around 1982.
 Although its seeker is more sensitive than its predecessor, the R-60M has only limited all-aspect capability.
 Minimum engagement range was further reduced, to only 200 m (220 yd).
 The proximity fuzes had improved resistance to ECM, although both optical and radar fuzes remained available (radar-fuzed R-60Ms with the Kolibri-M fuze are designated R-60 km).
 The R-60M is 42 mm (1.7 in) longer, and has a heavier, 3.5 kg (7.7 lb) continuous-rod warhead, increasing launch weight to 45 kg (99 lb).
 In some versions the warhead is apparently laced with about 1.6 kg (3.5 lb) of depleted uranium to increase the penetrating power of the warhead.

SOURCES:  Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. "R-60 (missile) - Wikipedia." n.d. Accessed September 14, 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-60_(missile). 

Edited to include PN79's suggested edition.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 Go, Windows 10 64bits, 32 GB RAM, Regional settings = French, Belgium
PN79

Post by PN79 »

I would change here "exported to" to "users". I don't think that Czech Republic or Slovakia bought any new R-60MK - whole inventory was inherited from Czechoslovakia.
ClaudeJ

RE: IDEA/PROPOSAL: Community creation/review of unit description A.330-200 MRTT

Post by ClaudeJ »

DRAFT of A.330-200 MRTT description file, for review

OVERVIEW: The A.330-200 MRTT is an air-to-air refueling and transport aircraft produced by Airbus Defense and Space, based on the A.330-200 airliner.

DETAILS: Compared to a previous generation tanker, the Multi Role Tanker Transport is a real game changer. Indeed, its take-off performance is much less affected by temperature or runway size. It can be used to its full potential on almost every flight, in areas previously operated with constraints. This is achieved with increased aspect ratio and payload capacity.

In addition, its avionics and communications capabilities allow the crew to gain greater tactical situational awareness.

Furthermore, its multi-role capabilities for carrying fuel, passengers and cargo allow its operators to perform air-to-air refueling and strategic transport missions with one single platform.

NOTES: It entered service in 2011 and is currently employed by the air forces of Australia, France, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates. Under the Multinational MRTT Fleet programme, NATO has also acquired the aircraft for joint use by the air forces of Belgium, the Czech Republic, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Norway.

The Indian Air Force, with its Il-78 tankers acquired in 2003–04 facing maintenance and serviceability issues, as well as a spares shortage, would be leasing 6 A.330-200 MRTT from the French Air Force.

SOURCE: Mounicq, M. (2021, December). Le ravitaillement en vol dans l'armée de l'Air et de l'Espace. Raids Aviation, HS N°16, 66-73.; "A330 MRTT | Airbus". Accessed February 17, 2020. https://www.airbus.com/en/products-serv ... /a330-mrtt ; "India in advanced negotiations to lease an A330 MRTT from France". Accessed February 17, 2020. https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... rom-france

That description is suggested for these platforms :
#1827 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT [KC-30A] (Australia - 2012)
#2935 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT (Saudi Arabia - 2013)
#3888 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT [Phenix] (France - 2018)
#4513 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT (South Korea - 2019)
#4605 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT (UAE - 2014)
#4708 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT [MFF] (NATO - 2019)
#4861 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT [Phoenix] (Singapore - 2018)
#5084 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT (Turkey - 2021)
#5181 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT (Canada - 2029)
#5251 - Airbus A.330-200 MRTT (India - 2022)
#1850 - Voyager KC.2 [Airbus A.330-200 MRTT] (United Kingdom - 2012)
#4276 - Voyager KC.3 [Airbus A.330-200 MRTT] (United Kingdom - 2014)

>> I didn't found a source that I feel reliable regarding the Turkish MRTT. Would you guys have one ?

Thanks for your suggestion PN79, I've edited the R-60M description's proposal.

What's the consensus regarding the aircraft Specifications by the way ? The most recent aircraft descriptions files, of the MiG-23 family, doesn't seem to have them.
CV60

Re: Review and Editing of Unit Descriptions

Post by CV60 »

DRAFT Description for community comment

OVERVIEW: The AN/SSQ-125 is an "A-size" command activated, omni-directional, active buoy used to generate source waveforms in a multi-static sonobuoy field.

DETAILS: A multistatic sonar network (MSN) is characterized by one receiver receiving transmissions from more than one transmitter, each placed at different locations. This provides improved triangulation and increased covertness of the receiving platform, multi-platform operations and multi-angle observations and can improve target tracking accuracy.

The AN/SSQ-125 sonobuoy is a source generator in a multistatic field and can generate a variety of waveforms. It produces electronic (coherent) pulses of various types and lengths that enable Doppler processing to distinguish moving targets from stationary features of the environment (such as shipwrecks). It is designed to work with the AN/SSQ-53F/G, AN/SSQ-77C, and AN/SSQ-101B (ADAR) sonobuoys. On command, the AN/SSQ-125 can generate a variety of waveforms (CW, Shaded Hanning CW, Hyperbolic-FM (HFM), HFM train, Sinusoidal FM (SFM), Linear FM up/ down, Costas SONAR) .

The AN/SSQ-125 can be set to operate in one of 96 pre-set UHF channels.

Specifications:

Operating Life: 8 hours
Ping-seconds 140
Sonic Frequency: 1-5 kHz (950 Hz baseline)
Operating depth(s) 65, 175, 300, 500 feet (19.8, 53.3, 91.4, 152 meters)

NOTES:

SOURCES: Seapower. (04 March 2021). https://seapowermagazine.org/navy-order ... sonobuoys/ ; Keller, J. (n.d.). Navy makes big purchase of multistatic sonobuoys for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) against advanced threats. Military Aerospace. https://www.militaryaerospace.com/senso ... ultistatic ; Multistatic acoustic submarine detection. (n.d.). https://www.onr.navy.mil/en/About-ONR/H ... -detection ; Products. (n.d.). Sonobuoy TechSystems. https://sonobuoytechsystems.com/products/ ; Sonobuoy Tech Systems. (n.d.). AN/SSQ-125 Sonobuoy. Sonobuoy TechSystems. https://sonobuoytechsystems.com/wp-cont ... 8/Q125.pdf
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
CV60

Post by CV60 »

DRAFT description for Community Comment

OVERVIEW: The AN/SSQ-101 ADAR (Air Deployed Active Receiver) is an "A-size" command activated, expendable, passive buoy used as the receiver in a multi-static sonobuoy field.

DETAILS: A multistatic sonar network (MSN) is characterized by one receiver receiving transmissions from more than one transmitter, each placed at different locations. This provides improved triangulation and increased covertness of the receiving platform, multi-platform operations and multi-angle observations and can improve target tracking accuracy.

The AN/SSQ-101 ADAR sonobuoy provides a commandable passive search capability, and functions as the receiver in a multistatic active receiver system. The device uses a pentagon-shaped horizontally oriented pattern of hydrophones to detect and beam form underwater sound waves. The ADAR sonobuoy is designed to receive active search signals (i.e., long-range echo detection of quiet, slow moving targets).

Once activated, the ADAR sonobuoy receives, beamforms, and transmits real-time acoustic data in the selected frequency band to the monitoring unit. The separately deployed acoustic source will be commanded to "ping," ensonifying the water and any target present, generating an acoustic "return" that is received and transmitted by the ADAR receiver. Aboard the monitoring unit, the data is processed and displayed (visual and aural), providing the operator a means of determining range, bearing, amplitude and possibly Doppler (coherent acoustic sources only) on submarine targets.

The AN/SSQ-101 transmitter can be set to operate in one of 47 UHF channels.

Specifications:

Operating Life: 4.5-6 hours
Sonic Frequency: 250-1000 Hz
Operating depth(s) 65, 300, 500 feet (19.8, 91.4, 152 meters)

NOTES:

SOURCES: AN/SSQ-101 Sonobuoy. Sonobuoy TechSystems. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... r-sonobuoy ; References
Rogoway, T. (2021, November 27). Watch a P-3 submarine hunter's sonobuoy dramatically transform once in the water. The Drive. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... -the-water
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

Great description Steve!
I find it informative, yet not too technical. The video is awesome!

---

ship_2312.txt description doesn't match its platform :
These ships were designed to hunt US Navy subs carrying Regulus cruise missiles (and later Polaris SLBMs) in the Mediterranean. Originally twelve were planned, this was later trimmed to three and in the end, only two were built. The design was a contemporary to the Italian Andrea Doria class, with a cruiser hull forward broadening aft into a flight deck for ASW helicopters. The design was approved in 1959; they were the largest ships built in Russia since the Bolshevik revolution. Both ships were homeported at Sevastopol their whole lives.

The main ASW armament was the SUW-N-1 twin launcher, firing the nuclear-tipped FRAS rocket. The Moskvas had a respectable SAM armament, but only two twin 57mm guns (arranged asymmetrically). After the US Navy retired Regulus and upgraded to longer-ranged variants of Polaris, the ships lost their main mission and instead were used as flagships for Black Sea fleet units venturing into the Mediterranean.

The design suffered flaws; the huge “Moose Jaw” sonar dome produced a great deal of drag and caused the ships to trim by the bows, which increased with speed. For this reason, ASW torpedo tubes originally installed in the side embrasures were removed as they were constantly swamped by the bow waves. The propulsion plant was unsatisfactory, suffering a major fire on 2 February 1975 (see below). Amazingly, the Soviets copied the failed design on the later Kiev class with similar difficulties resulting.

By the late 1980s neither ship rarely left the Black Sea. In 1991 SUW-N-1 was deactivated, and both ships were deactivated. Leningrad was stripped of all weapons shortly after, and Moskva reduced to a pierside flagship for her final years.

Original Author:
Capture d’écran (229).png
Capture d’écran (229).png (490.13 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
I would suggest deleting that file.

Now, it seems that this description might refer to #200 - PKR Moskva [Pr.1123 Kondor] (Soviet Union [-1991] - 1970)

Maybe that the existing one could be augmented with Jason's description ?

If you are happy with it, here's attached a merged description for ship_200
ship_200.txt
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

Hey there,

just to mention that the description weapon_2125.txt doesn't match its platform. It would recommend deleting that file.

#2125 - HJ-10 ATGM
GENERAL DESCRIPTION
This class is an adaptation of Leroux & Letz’s privately-designed OPV-64 concept. They were ordered in late 1993 and built by LNI Lorient in France. They are of alloy construction with eight internal WT compartments. They are good seakeepers, with a wide beam and a flume-tank stabilization system. A secondary propulsion system is fitted (separate from the main engines), it is used for fuel-economic loitering or as a backup if the engines are damaged. The main mission is surveillance of Morocco’s EEZ in the Atlantic ocean, with secondary roles of SAR and anti-smuggling patrols along the coast of Moroccan-controlled Western Sahara.

Due to budgetary constraints the final fit of these ships was much less than Morocco originally envisioned. The hulls were intended to accept an OTO-Melara 76mm gun and could even be fitted with anti-ship missiles, however no funding was available for these systems, and the vessels were delivered originally only with two 20mm single guns. Later funding was found to add the 40mm forward (replacing one of the 20mm’s) and two light AA guns of the Moroccan army were fitted amidships just aft of the funnel. Some of the onboard equipment was recycled from decommissioned warships. The ships are fitted with a firefighting monitor and equipment to contain small oil spills. There is a door in the stern transom for launching and recovering RHIBs.

Original Author: Jason W. Henson
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Hello,

Not a common one but the description for the An-22 Cock is for the wrong item (it describes the GBU-44). Suggest the following
DBID # 2510 - An-22 Cock (Russia [1992-] - 1992)
DBID #2509 - An-22 Cock (Soviet Union [-1991] - 1970) --- This has a better description and photos but they should match

OVERVIEW: The An-22 Antaeus, NATO nickname COCK, is a heavy transport aircraft and the largest turboprop aircraft built. Resembling a scaled up An-12 CUB, the An-22 could conduct paratroop operations with a rear ramp and operate off of austere airstrips.

DETAILS: Designed to operate from short (<1,400M) unpaved airstrips this aircraft has adjustable landing gear and massive flaps to control airspeed. The cargo hold is 33M (108 feet) long and can accommodate 4 BMD-1 airborne combat vehicles. There is also a pressurized compartment for 28 passengers.

Specifications:
Crew: 5-6
Range: 2,700nm with full payload, 5900nm with 45 tonne load
Payload: 80 Tonnes, 45 tonnes standard and airdrop
Passengers: 290, or 150 paratroops. 28 in pressurized flight
Vehicles: 4 BMD-1 for transport or airdrop. Mi-8 Helicopters and other large cargo.

NOTES: First flew in 1965 the aircraft became operational in 1969, breaking several world records for payload and flight characteristics, and entered regular service by 1973. There were 68 built including 28 with improved electronics and navigation equipment. They have seen extensive service first for the Soviet Union, the first operational use was supporting Egypt and Syria in the Yom Kippur War in 1973 and this trend continued flying military support Angola in 1975 and Ethiopia in 1977 before providing continuous support to Soviet forces in Afghanistan. Two were converted to fly large aircraft components for the An-225 project and a proposal was made for a double-decker airliner for Aeroflot able to carry 724 passengers (compared to a 747 with 4-500 Passengers), however it was never built. Flown by both Russia and Ukraine after the breakup of the Soviet Union. As of 2018 there were still a few working, but the last operating machine (Ukrainian) was apparently damaged in the Russian attack on Ukraine in 2022.

SOURCES:
http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/an_22.htm
http://www.airvectors.net/avantgt.html#m1
https://antonov.com/en/history/an-22
https://simpleflying.com/antonov-an-22/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-22
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

Good catch Bart!
Inspired by your research, I'd like to suggest an amendment.
Thus, the description would fit all four entries :
  • #2509 - An-22 Cock (Soviet Union [-1991] - 1970)
    aircraft_2509.txt
    (2.74 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
    #2510 - An-22 Cock (Russia [1992-] - 1992)
    aircraft_2510.txt
    (2.74 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
    #2511 - An-22A Cock (Russia [1992-] - 1992)
    aircraft_2511.txt
    (2.74 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
    #2512 - An-22A Cock (Soviet Union [-1991] - 1968)
    aircraft_2512.txt
    (2.74 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Details :
The An-22 falls between the Il-76 and the An-124 in terms of transport capacity. Designed to operate from short semi-prepared runways, this aircraft has adjustable landing gear and massive flaps to control airspeed. The cargo hold is 33 m (ca. 108 feet) long, ramp included, and equipped with travelling cranes. It can accommodate 4 BMD-1 airborne combat vehicles. There is also a pressurized compartment for 29 passengers.

Notes:
Developed by Antonov Design Bureau in Kiev, Ukraine, series manufacture was undertaken in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. First flew in February 1965, at the time the world's heaviest aircraft. Two months later, it was exhibited at the Paris Air Show. It became operational in January 1969, breaking several world records for payload and flight. There were 68 built from 1966 to 1976, including 2 prototypes, 38 An-22 and 28 An-22A. That variant changed installations, mainly the fuel system, thus fixing issues that caused numerous crashes with the early airframes, and improved equipment. They have seen extensive service, first for the Soviet Union, flying military support to Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Ethiopia, India, Syria Vietnam and other countries between 1970 and 1989. In 1971, they carried rescue equipment to Peru, after the country was hit by an earthquake. In Russian service, it evacuated personnel and equipment from former Soviet airbases, and supported the campaign in Chechnya. By the year 2000, 26 An-22 remained in Russian service, with only 9 airworthy. Fifteen years later, in 2015, 5 were still in service, with 6 being preserved.
After the breakup of the Soviet Union, 1 airframe, converted to a civilian cargo aircraft, was operated by Antonov Airlines, the aeronautical division of Antonov Design Bureau. From June 1994, it was registered in Ukraine as UR- 09307 and used for carrying heavy and large cargos for civil and military customers across the world. That last operating Ukrainian machine was apparently damaged during the so dubbed Battle of Antonov Airport with Russian forces at Gostomel airport, in February 2022.

Sources:
Butowski, P. (2017). Russia's air-launched weapons: Russian-made aircraft ordnance today.
Gordon, E., Komissarov, S., & Komissarov, D. (2004). Antonov's heavy transports: The An-22, An-124/225, and An-70. Hinckley: Midland.
Kaminski-Morrow, D. (5 April 2022). An-22 among several Antonov aircraft damaged during Gostomel combat. Flight Global.
Taghvaee, B. (27th December, 2018). An-22 in the war on terror. AIR International Magazine.
I did drop the Specifications paragraph entirely.
Both because, according to my sources, the figures mentioned here are not correct and that redundant information in the description actually forces the user to scroll more to see actionable data.
I've thought about the argument that research done here, when it contradicts the DB, can help improve the latter. It's righteous indeed, however, I think it's more effectively put into practice brought directly to the attention of the DB team, through an actual report ticket, especially now that there's an efficient system in place. I believe it would save time for everyone.

PS : putting my words into actions, I'm currently filling a report for the DB guys on that aircraft. ;)
https://github.com/PygmalionOfCyprus/cm ... issues/986
https://github.com/PygmalionOfCyprus/cm ... issues/987
Gunner98 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:53 am Hello,

Not a common one but the description for the An-22 Cock is for the wrong item (it describes the GBU-44). Suggest the following
DBID # 2510 - An-22 Cock (Russia [1992-] - 1992)
DBID #2509 - An-22 Cock (Soviet Union [-1991] - 1970) --- This has a better description and photos but they should match

OVERVIEW: The An-22 Antaeus, NATO nickname COCK, is a heavy transport aircraft and the largest turboprop aircraft built. Resembling a scaled up An-12 CUB, the An-22 could conduct paratroop operations with a rear ramp and operate off of austere airstrips.

DETAILS: Designed to operate from short (<1,400M) unpaved airstrips this aircraft has adjustable landing gear and massive flaps to control airspeed. The cargo hold is 33M (108 feet) long and can accommodate 4 BMD-1 airborne combat vehicles. There is also a pressurized compartment for 28 passengers.

Specifications:
Crew: 5-6
Range: 2,700nm with full payload, 5900nm with 45 tonne load
Payload: 80 Tonnes, 45 tonnes standard and airdrop
Passengers: 290, or 150 paratroops. 28 in pressurized flight
Vehicles: 4 BMD-1 for transport or airdrop. Mi-8 Helicopters and other large cargo.

NOTES: First flew in 1965 the aircraft became operational in 1969, breaking several world records for payload and flight characteristics, and entered regular service by 1973. There were 68 built including 28 with improved electronics and navigation equipment. They have seen extensive service first for the Soviet Union, the first operational use was supporting Egypt and Syria in the Yom Kippur War in 1973 and this trend continued flying military support Angola in 1975 and Ethiopia in 1977 before providing continuous support to Soviet forces in Afghanistan. Two were converted to fly large aircraft components for the An-225 project and a proposal was made for a double-decker airliner for Aeroflot able to carry 724 passengers (compared to a 747 with 4-500 Passengers), however it was never built. Flown by both Russia and Ukraine after the breakup of the Soviet Union. As of 2018 there were still a few working, but the last operating machine (Ukrainian) was apparently damaged in the Russian attack on Ukraine in 2022.

SOURCES:
http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/an_22.htm
http://www.airvectors.net/avantgt.html#m1
https://antonov.com/en/history/an-22
https://simpleflying.com/antonov-an-22/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-22
Last edited by ClaudeJ on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Looks good Claude, the amendments make it a lot better

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
SteveLohr

Post by SteveLohr »

Gunner98 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:40 pm Looks good Claude, the amendments make it a lot better

B
Sorry, I'm having trouble with my CV-60 account, so I'm using an alternative account to post. Gunner and Claude: Is the text below something along the lines of what you are submitting? I'm finalizing the image/description package update and will submit it later this week. This will be included. Let me know if it is correct.

DETAILS : The An-22 falls between the Il-76 and the An-124 in terms of transport capacity. Designed to operate from short semi-prepared runways, this aircraft has adjustable landing gear and massive flaps to control airspeed. The cargo hold is 33 m (ca. 108 feet) long, ramp included, and equipped with travelling cranes. It can accommodate 4 BMD-1 airborne combat vehicles. There is also a pressurized compartment for 29 passengers.

NOTES: IOC: 1969. Developed by Antonov Design Bureau in Kiev, Ukraine, series manufacture was undertaken in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. First flew in February 1965, at the time the world's heaviest aircraft. Two months later, it was exhibited at the Paris Air Show. It became operational in January 1969, breaking several world records for payload and flight. There were 68 built from 1966 to 1976, including 2 prototypes, 38 An-22 and 28 An-22A. That variant changed installations, mainly the fuel system, thus fixing issues that caused numerous crashes with the early airframes, and improved equipment. They have seen extensive service, first for the Soviet Union, flying military support to Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Ethiopia, India, Syria Vietnam and other countries between 1970 and 1989. In 1971, they carried rescue equipment to Peru, after the country was hit by an earthquake. In Russian service, it evacuated personnel and equipment from former Soviet airbases, and supported the campaign in Chechnya. By the year 2000, 26 An-22 remained in Russian service, with only 9 airworthy. Fifteen years later, in 2015, 5 were still in service, with 6 being preserved.
After the breakup of the Soviet Union, 1 airframe, converted to a civilian cargo aircraft, was operated by Antonov Airlines, the aeronautical division of Antonov Design Bureau. From June 1994, it was registered in Ukraine as UR- 09307 and used for carrying heavy and large cargos for civil and military customers across the world. That last operating Ukrainian machine was apparently damaged during the so dubbed Battle of Antonov Airport with Russian forces at Gostomel airport, in February 2022.

SOURCES: "AN-22." ANTONOV Company. Last modified 1960. https://antonov.com/en/history/an-22. "Antonov An-22 Antei Heavy Transport Aircraft | Military-Today.com." MILITARY TODAY - Everything About Modern Warfare. Accessed April 25, 2022. https://www.military-today.com/aircraft/an_22.htm. "Antonov An-22 Antei Heavy Transport Aircraft | Military-Today.com." MILITARY TODAY - Everything About Modern Warfare. Accessed April 25, 2022. https://www.military-today.com/aircraft/an_22.htm. "The Antonov An-22: The World's Largest Turboprop Aircraft." Simple Flying. Last modified September 27, 2020. https://simpleflying.com/antonov-an-22/. "Antonov An-22." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Last modified March 17, 2004. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-22. ; Butowski, P. (2017). Russia's air-launched weapons: Russian-made aircraft ordnance today. ; Gordon, E., Komissarov, S., & Komissarov, D. (2004). Antonov's heavy transports: The An-22, An-124/225, and An-70. Hinckley: Midland. ; Kaminski-Morrow, D. (5 April 2022). An-22 among several Antonov aircraft damaged during Gostomel combat. Flight Global. ; Taghvaee, B. (27th December, 2018). An-22 in the war on terror. AIR International Magazine.
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

Hey Steve,

sorry to hear that, it's always a pain to have technical problems, especially nowadays that we are so dependent of it.

For your convenience, I did attach a description file for each related platform. The text in it is as you quoted, but teh sources, as far as I can tell, and is what I intended to suggest.

I'm not sure merging both sources list is beneficial. What I wrote is taken from the sources I did quote and what Gunny wrote could have been from there too, there's nothing exclusively from the sources quoted above Butowski.

PS: would it be more convenient for you to get the files by email ?

Cheers
SteveLohr

Post by SteveLohr »

ClaudeJ wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:52 pm Hey Steve,

sorry to hear that, it's always a pain to have technical problems, especially nowadays that we are so dependent of it.

For your convenience, I did attach a description file for each related platform. The text in it is as you quoted, but teh sources, as far as I can tell, and is what I intended to suggest.

I'm not sure merging both sources list is beneficial. What I wrote is taken from the sources I did quote and what Gunny wrote could have been from there too, there's nothing exclusively from the sources quoted above Butowski.

PS: would it be more convenient for you to get the files by email ?

Cheers
No, posting them on the forum like we are doing works just fine. That way, the community can see them and comment. I just do a copy and paste them into a .txt file and add them to the master CMO description file. I also convert the sources section to Chicago-style citations, as that way it shows how old the research/sources are.
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

Ok, in the txt files above, I formatted the sources actually used in APA-style. As for the articles, I don't know the issue number, my subscription cover the online version.
I've suggested the addition of the Commercial An-22 Antey to the DB3k. On the suggestion form, I've added a matching description (the one above actually) and a couple of images, so it's ready for you to pick when we'll know the ID number.
SteveLohr

Post by SteveLohr »

DRAFT Description for RP-21M Sapfir aka SPIN SCAN-B radar for comment

OVERVIEW: The RP-21M Sapfir aka SPIN SCAN-B aka TsD-30TK radar is an airborne air-to-air fire-control radar operating in the NATO I band.

DETAILS:
The RP-21M radar is a single conical scan antenna. The radar had jamming protection, a roll-stabilized antenna and a larger position display. Additionally, it had a fixed-beam target illumination function, which allowed use of K-5 AAMs. It lacks a LD/SD capability. It was also limited against low level targets, with its ranged reduced to 2.7 nm for targets below 6,600 feet, and not capable of tracking targets below 3,300 feet.

Specifications:

Frequency: 9 GHz (approx) (I-band (NATO))
PRF: ??Khz
Pulse width: ??
Power: 60 kW (peak)
Scan Limits: 30 ° azimuth, ±12 ° elevation.
Range: 11/8nm search (bomber/fighter aircraft)
6.5/5 nm tracking (bomber/fighter aircraft)

NOTES: IOC 1964. Exported after 1966. Used vaccum tubes, resulting in a low mean time between failures, but high resistance to EMP effects

SOURCES: Mladenov, Alexander. Soviet Cold War Fighters. Fonthill Media, 2017, location 3497 (Kindle ed.) ; Jane's Radar and Electronic Warfare Systems, "Sapfir Series Radars," 19 October 2000; "1.1.2 Capabilities - Soviet Aircraft Tech." Google Sites. Accessed April 26, 2022. https://sites.google.com/site/sovietair ... pabilities; Mladenov, Alexander. Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 (Air Vanguard)(Kindle ed., pg. 44-45)
ClaudeJ

Post by ClaudeJ »

hey Steve,

Project name would be Izdeliyie 830M
Its instrumented range would be 20 km
Pulse width could be 4.8°? The translation is fuzzy.
The FMV ensures:
- scanning the front half-sphere of the aircraft up to a distance of 20 km in the lateral angle range of +/- 30° and in the inclination angle range of +/- 12° with respect to an axis inclined by 3° with respect to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, the antenna being stabilized up to inclinations of the aircraft of +/- 70°.
- the interrogation of the identification of the air target in connection with the SRZO-2
- the detection of an aerial target at distances </= 10 to 12 km and the accompanying

Tactical-technical data

maximum detection distance 20 km
lateral angle range +/- 30
Pitch angle range +/- 12
time in which the space in front of the aircraft is searched once 1,7 - 2,5 sec
maximum detection distance 10 - 12 km
Automatic target tracking in lateral angle +/- 29°.
Automatic target tracking in the angle of inclination +/- 17°.
switch-on time after switching on the high voltage 3 - 4 min
Antenna stabilization when the aircraft is tilted
- in overview mode +/- 70°
- in target mode after launching the missiles +/- 30°
Wave length approx. 3 cm
Transmitting power (pulse power) 60 kW
Width of the directional diagram of the antenna at 50% power drop 4.8°.
Resolving power
- according to the distance 500 m
- according to the side angle 5°
Dead zone 300 m
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://www.mig-21-online.de/mig-21/fun ... chreibung/
SteveLohr

Post by SteveLohr »

ClaudeJ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:57 am hey Steve,

Project name would be Izdeliyie 830M
Its instrumented range would be 20 km
Pulse width could be 4.8°? The translation is fuzzy.
The FMV ensures:
- scanning the front half-sphere of the aircraft up to a distance of 20 km in the lateral angle range of +/- 30° and in the inclination angle range of +/- 12° with respect to an axis inclined by 3° with respect to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, the antenna being stabilized up to inclinations of the aircraft of +/- 70°.
- the interrogation of the identification of the air target in connection with the SRZO-2
- the detection of an aerial target at distances </= 10 to 12 km and the accompanying

Tactical-technical data

maximum detection distance 20 km
lateral angle range +/- 30
Pitch angle range +/- 12
time in which the space in front of the aircraft is searched once 1,7 - 2,5 sec
maximum detection distance 10 - 12 km
Automatic target tracking in lateral angle +/- 29°.
Automatic target tracking in the angle of inclination +/- 17°.
switch-on time after switching on the high voltage 3 - 4 min
Antenna stabilization when the aircraft is tilted
- in overview mode +/- 70°
- in target mode after launching the missiles +/- 30°
Wave length approx. 3 cm
Transmitting power (pulse power) 60 kW
Width of the directional diagram of the antenna at 50% power drop 4.8°.
Resolving power
- according to the distance 500 m
- according to the side angle 5°
Dead zone 300 m
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://www.mig-21-online.de/mig-21/fun ... chreibung/
Thanks!
SteveLohr

Post by SteveLohr »

DRAFT Sapfir-21/JAY BIRD/RP-22M radar description for comment

OVERVIEW: The Sapfir-21 aka JAY BIRD aka RP-22M radar is an airborne air-to-air fire-control radar operating in the NATO J band.

DETAILS:
The Sapfir-21 aka JAY BIRD aka RP-22M uses a twist-Cassegrain antenna and monopulse target tracking instead of a conical scan, improving its resistance to both passive and active jamming. The radar can conduct limited high-aspect (side) intercepts. Although it lacked a LD/SD capability, it had a limited ability to discern targets from background clutter.

Specifications:

Frequency: 12.88-13.2 GHz (J-band (NATO))
PRF: 1.592 -1792; 2.042 -2,048 ; 2.716 - 2.724 Khz
Pulse width: ??
Power: ?? KW (peak)
Scan Limits: 30 ° azimuth, ±20 ° elevation.
Range: 16/9.7 nm search (bomber/fighter aircraft)
8/6 nm tracking (bomber/fighter aircraft)

NOTES: IOC: 1965. Used in the MiG-21S as RP-22S. Also used in the MiG-23S

SOURCES: Mladenov, Alexander. Soviet Cold War Fighters. Fonthill Media, 2017, location 5209 (Kindel ed.) ; Jane's Radar and Electronic Warfare Systems, "Sapfir Series Radars," 19 October 2000; Mladenov, Alexander, Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 (Air Vanguard 14)

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”