Incorrect TO&E for Airborne Heavy Weapon Battalion

Moderator: Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

Capt Cliff

Incorrect TO&E for Airborne Heavy Weapon Battalion

Post by Capt Cliff »

There are 3 heavy weapon battalions in both the 82nd and the 101st that have the wrong TO&E. They are suppose to have 27 jeeps but on have 19 which means the units move by foot not by jeep.

Oh, an the AT guns they have are 37mm which by this time in the war were replaced with the 57mm AT gun.

How can I change the TO&E to correct this?
Capt. Cliff
blond_knight_new

Re: Incorrect TO&E for Airborne Heavy Weapon Battalion

Post by blond_knight_new »

You would need to create a new Hist model to change the TOE. Id recommend creating a new entry for your altered unit and give it a similar name to the original.

Then youd have to swap out the unit in whatever scenario your tinkering with and replace it with your new unit.

Finally youd need to go through all the tables for the scenario and add the new unit where the old one was. So you should probably go through the scenario first and make note of everywhere the old unit is mentioned so you can easily find and update it.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

blond_knight_new wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:25 am You would need to create a new Hist model to change the TOE. Id recommend creating a new entry for your altered unit and give it a similar name to the original.

Then youd have to swap out the unit in whatever scenario your tinkering with and replace it with your new unit.

Finally youd need to go through all the tables for the scenario and add the new unit where the old one was. So you should probably go through the scenario first and make note of everywhere the old unit is mentioned so you can easily find and update it.
You've got to be kidding me!! Yeegads this is a plate of spaghetti!! How about creating a new unit that has jeeps in it and place it where the 101st and 82nd enter. then transfer half the jeeps to these bogus heavy weapons battalions. I can only take half so I need 10 jeeps per unit or 30 jeeps.
I got the same problem with CCB of 10th Armored. Teams Cherry, Desoroby and O'Hara(?) are also short of transports. But if I steal trucks from Patton's truck column they will move move faster. I prefer having them enter rather than magically appear on the map.
I use to play the paper chit Wacht am Rhein game so that's why I am a bit "over the top" about a Bulge game.
Capt. Cliff
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

I found where the airborne arty unit was defined by the alliedmodels.dc4his file. But I can not figure out how to load it into the scenario I am modding. The file is located in the ardenneddenarios folder and then into the modellibs subfolder. It seems to me when you fire up any scenario is would load the alliedmodels file but it doesn't. The scenario seems to have its own library which is ok except how do I load my updated version?
Capt. Cliff
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Check always the "scramble table" !
All scenarios have random % reduction of available men and vehicles due to real life (lost,sick,leave,manteinance...)!

The AT 37mm was still in the parachute battalions, the Glider battalions had already the AT 57mm.
All the replacements after the 101st and 82nd were deployed as foot infantry were 57mm !

Davide
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

nikdav wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:44 pm Check always the "scramble table" !
All scenarios have random % reduction of available men and vehicles due to real life (lost,sick,leave,manteinance...)!

The AT 37mm was still in the parachute battalions, the Glider battalions had already the AT 57mm.
All the replacements after the 101st and 82nd were deployed as foot infantry were 57mm !

Davide
The scramble table has nothing about the para heavy weapons battalions. There is a historical library with the para arty with the 37mm at gun. I changed it but I can't seem to load that library into my modded scenario. I have been able to give each arty battalion 1 duce and a half that has made it move a bit further. They still need 27 jeeps too move all their men and equipment, the 12 75mm packs and the 3 AT guns. I also have doubts the para units still used the 37mm, since it has to come in by glider anyway and the 57 mm would be plentiful in the depots while the 37 mm was obsolete.
Capt. Cliff
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

There might be another problem other than the TO&E being wrong. Each unit has 19 jeeps, 11 or 12 75mm Packs and 3 AT guns and 50 men. There appears to be enough transport to move every thing. with 14 or 15 guns total that would require 14 or 15 jeeps, we have 19. Each jeep holds 4 guys you need 13 jeeps or with 3 guys per jeep you nee 16 jeeps and there are 19 jeeps. You can tow something with a jeep and still ride in the Jeep. So why to these unit march as if they are all on foot? When you move them you get a foot marching sound and they don't move as far!!
Capt. Cliff

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”