Remagen and environs updated to v3

Moderator: Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

blond_knight_new

Remagen and environs updated to v3

Post by blond_knight_new »

Version 3 is available at the Scenario Bank https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=312

Regime cards working. Panzer reinforcements from local factories are available.

Last edited by blond_knight_new on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ernieschwitz

RE: Remagen and environs

Post by ernieschwitz »

Map size does not always equate a good scenario :) Even small ones can be good! :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
runyan99

Post by runyan99 »

Yeah, I heard something about a bridge there.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: runyan99

It would be interesting how and if one could tweak the victory conditions. E.g. the Germans receiving a penalty if they blow up the bridge 'prematurely'. I am actually looking forward to a Market Garden scenario.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
blond_knight_new

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

ORIGINAL: runyan99

It would be interesting how and if one could tweak the victory conditions. E.g. the Germans receiving a penalty if they blow up the bridge 'prematurely'. I am actually looking forward to a Market Garden scenario.

Klink, Oberst

I know, Ive been looking at that. But from what I see it looks like Vic has changed the scripting language he uses from the pre-community project days. And I cant find enough references to discover if its possible.

Its still on my 'to do' list. Along with tweaking the victory conditions, and getting the regime cards to work.
blond_knight_new

I have published this scenario over at Scenario Bank.

VR Designs Scenario bank
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: blond_knight_new

I have published this scenario over at Scenario Bank.

VR Designs Scenario bank
👍 Kewl! Will have a look at it later on, mate.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I took a look at the scenario bank. I habitually do that so that I can see if anyone needs help with any of my scenarios, or better yet, have rated them. You seem to have specified the wrong engine "AT", which is the first game Vic published on Matrix. It was called Advanced Tactics: WW2. It later became ATG (Advanced Tactics Gold, good game, worth trying). I think you might want to change it to say it is a DC:Ardennes scenario, instead. Might get more downloads that way too :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
blond_knight_new

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I took a look at the scenario bank. I habitually do that so that I can see if anyone needs help with any of my scenarios, or better yet, have rated them. You seem to have specified the wrong engine "AT", which is the first game Vic published on Matrix. It was called Advanced Tactics: WW2. It later became ATG (Advanced Tactics Gold, good game, worth trying). I think you might want to change it to say it is a DC:Ardennes scenario, instead. Might get more downloads that way too :)

Thank you, I changed it back to DC:Ardennes. I kept getting hit with the 500 character limit for the description and as I was fighting that the page might have reset and I didnt notice it.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

ORIGINAL: blond_knight_new

Not much to look at admittedly.

Wow, this is very exciting! Thanks so much for posting this, BK. I love the map, and the game situation is unique vs. the stock scenarios. Modding those is pretty easy, but creating a brand-new battle is another story.

I will, of course, "rate" it on VR's site.

I had to go AWOL for a while after playing all but the five larger scenarios. So it's a great way (for me) to jump back in.

Much appreciated and hoping we will see other custom battles from talented people like yourself! It's a wonderful game.
blond_knight_new

Thank you very much Sir, but Im hardly talented. I just wanted to make a small scenario to see how easy it would be. And fortunately I only had to add a few German officers and no historical models.
Ive got the regime cards to work and am tweaking them and will update the scenario in the scenario bank in a few days.
After that Ive already started research on the first battle of Aachen and have the skeleton of that map.
Rosseau

Re: Remagen and environs updated to v3

Post by Rosseau »

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW**

Hats (and caps) off to our friend BK for publishing this intriguing scenario. Not only is this battle just plain fun; it also illustrates the versatility of the DB:AO engine in depicting smaller scale engagements that are as satisfying as the much larger battles that ship with the game.

Of course, the most challenging way to play this scenario is as the Germans, with their backs to the wall. Despite logging a good 100 hours in against the AI since the game's release, this poster remains below-average in skill level. This was amply illustrated in his resounding (25 VP) Major Defeat playing as the Axis using the normal AI difficulty setting.

An actual AAR in this first go-around as the Germans would be downright embarrassing. However, this writer does plan to post more information as part of a "review" of the scenario on VR Design's web site after more experience playing as both sides.

A few observations, nonetheless:

- This player chose a rather foolish, forward defensive strategy for the Germans West of the Remagen Bridge. It just didn't seem fair to order a headlong retreat and pile all of one's Volksgrenadier units into the bridge hexside to block the American advance. So we gave up our ground slowly, and paid the price: The Axis units West of the river were quickly isolated and out-of-supply.

- The good news, however, is the AI was more than capable of handling the "deep" battle when given the opportunity. It charged ahead quite aggressively and didn't get hung up on a few German units behind the lines. Once over the Remagen Bridge, and with two turns to go (shame on me), the AI moved quickly to secure Rottbitze and the 30-VP location at Neustadt, exposing the complete incompetence of the Axis commander.

- Hindsight is foresight, and this player plans to prove he can do more with his defensive assets the second time around. In a scenario this tightly-knit, the wise use of the relatively liberal Command Points available to the German leadership can really make a difference. Bold counterattacks on the Allied steamroller seem improbable, but a lot more could have been done to hold up the enemy's advance.

Once again, BK, thanks so much for your efforts, and we are all hoping they will help stimulate the creation of new custom scenarios in a game system that ostensibly holds no limits in terms of future creative content.

Best wishes!
blond_knight_new

Thank you very much Rosseau for playing this. I got regime cards working a few days ago, so I hope you have remagen3.dczip from the scenario bank. I learned in my research that the Kassel plant was nearby that manufactured King Tigers and that alot of KT's were involved fighting in the area. So I thought it would be fun to add a regime card where a platoon of KT''s fresh from the factory with untrained crews would show up.
I couldnt figure out why the reinforcements table wasnt hiding units until the desired round. So I had to just put the units on the map at the start of the game. But I couldnt find a way to notify the German player when the reinforcements became "unfixed". Which could lead to them sitting because the player forgot to check them that round.
I also couldnt figure out how to penalize the German for blowing the bridge early, or automate its destruction by the AI.
Still it was fun to build and I wanted something small to learn with. Ive started on a map of the Aachen area for the first battle of Aachen.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

That's a nice idea on the cards, for sure, BK. I will re-download the scenario now and try it again (with great hindsight) as the German. I assume the Amis will be easier, but one never knows!

I didn't address the great job you did historically on the map and the units. I kind of wanted to get "in and out" in my post, and it was still a bit long.

Have a good weekend. I find it hard to play much after yesterday's sad news, but these things should never shock us into inaction, either.

- Mike
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

did i hear someone mention Market Garden scenario?

:roll: :o ;)

look forward to my favourite battle of all time on any engine tbh
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

There was a Market Garden Project and I made the basic map but no recent news or update.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 2#p4927912

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”