Missed Oportunity for devs (at least in my opinion)

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.

Moderators: Vic, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

Novaliz

Missed Oportunity for devs (at least in my opinion)

Post by Novaliz »

I have the most fun with complex wargames when I thoroughly understand the rules and all the statistics. Everything else feels like stumbling in the dark, especially with games as complex as Ardennes Assault. It would be great to have a comprehensive manual that provides all the necessary information, but unfortunately, it falls short in that regard. I understand that creating a proper manual with all the details can be challenging. However, why doesn't the developer take just 20 minutes to explain all the statistics and rules of the game in a YouTube video? They could even hire someone to do it for them. While unnecessary expenses may be incurred elsewhere, a developer could surely spare 20 minutes of their time. This doesn't only apply to Ardennes Assault...

As an example, I'm currently struggling to understand how the cumulative modifier in combat is calculated, and it definitely doesn't match what the tooltip suggests (or there might be additional calculations happening behind the scenes). Mainstream wargames like HOI4 have a large community that delves into the intricacies of the game and creates numerous videos detailing aspects such as combat mechanics.

What are your thoughts?
ernieschwitz

Re: Missed Oportunity for devs (at least in my opinion)

Post by ernieschwitz »

... that it takes way more than 20 mins in a youtube video to explain them all. Have you ever held a talk of any kind for 20 mins? It is very limited what you can get into one of those.

However explaining all the details would be nice. I know Vic's games by now, and I believe his philosophy in this regard is to let people know all the rules, but basically let them be so complex as to not be able to grasp in a sense where you can calculate your results. So I think you'd still be grasping in the dark.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive”