First Play Through Completed

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.

Moderators: Vic, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

VictorCharlie

First Play Through Completed

Post by VictorCharlie »

First play through of the Wacht am Rhein Campaign as the Germans just completed.
I was able to win quite convincingly (302 points) on Normal AI Difficulty and Slow AI Speed settings. It was fun and kept me engaged till the end.

Map and Unit art work is good and really adds to the game.

Play Tips:
Key is concentrating artillery fire on enemy units followed by concentrated attacks, no less than 3-1, allowed me to keep destroying units until breakthroughs were possible. Then big encirclements was the next phase with many units destroyed.

Keep divisions together for the HQ bonus and keep Corps HQ close to. Timely play of HQ cards to get maximum benefits, especially Front commands on Army Groups to max out benefits.

Problems:
There’s still a few problems with the game I think.

Biggest being artillery units end up in the front line not way behind it. Makes it very easy to destroy them.

Spotting past 1-2 hexes seems too easy to. Could spot artillery units easy and destroy any with massed fire.

Artillery seems to be able to wipe out anything if massed.

Really high casualties among Sdkfz 251, shouldn’t they be ‘backbench’ as they did not go into combat but were to transport infantry to the combat zone with the tanks safe from artillery.

Repair bridge can be done when you only control 1 side. It should be both sides to be able to repair a bridge.

OOB:

The British Airborne don’t get their own unit pic?

There were Volkstrumm in Heer Units? But they were a separate organisation.

On the 18th December I had Peipers KG surrounded by the 34th and 35th British Armoured Brigades and virtually destroyed? All other games I have seen have these units either unable to cross the Meuse or delayed until the 30th December. So shouldn’t these units be locked down or off board?

Summary:

Otherwise the AI is ok but will go off road which leads to encirclement and loss. I think if artillery behaviour was fixed it would add a lot to the AI performance. Terrain defensive effects could be increased too?

I never had any supply problems as I was able to capture all depots. Maybe AI should be allowed to destroy them easier?
I was able to bring on all units and do every thing I wanted with the cards. Maybe costs should be increased to force more decisions on players?

I found worst traffic jams problems were late game when i was moving towards the Meuse not the early game.

Ok that is about it for now sorry about length of post.
Attachments
Victory.jpg
Victory.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1263 times
Last edited by VictorCharlie on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
SwampYankee68

Re: First Play Through Completed

Post by SwampYankee68 »

One won't sniff the Meuse against a competent human opponent.

Edit: Marne? It's been a long day!
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks for this post. Having not played the game since release, it is very helpful. And hoping the devs will see it, too.

Best wishes! I guess you play the Americans next?

Also, remember there is the gigantic Plan Martin scenario available as a free download here on Matrix.
VictorCharlie

Post by VictorCharlie »

SwampYankee68 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:25 am One won't sniff the Meuse against a competent human opponent.

Edit: Marne? It's been a long day!
Yes I suspect as much. I think it will just turn into a big slugfest. I was going to try head to head myself.
VictorCharlie

Post by VictorCharlie »

Rosseau wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:06 am Thanks for this post. Having not played the game since release, it is very helpful. And hoping the devs will see it, too.

Best wishes! I guess you play the Americans next?

Also, remember there is the gigantic Plan Martin scenario available as a free download here on Matrix.

Yes sure. Have a rest then try US or head to head myself.
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Thanks for the feedback, we are working for a better AI !
1) artillery cover and range from enemy;
2) too much moving;
3) take too much casualties.

Edorf

Post by Edorf »

nikdav wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:16 pm Thanks for the feedback, we are working for a better AI !
1) artillery cover and range from enemy;
2) too much moving;
3) take too much casualties.
Any updates in sight regarding this?
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Be patient, we are working on the next update and AI is our priority but Vic is still busy with OCEANIA and we need to check the effects on the balance of all scenarios !

Edorf

Post by Edorf »

nikdav wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:30 am Be patient, we are working on the next update and AI is our priority but Vic is still busy with OCEANIA and we need to check the effects on the balance of all scenarios !
Sounds good :)

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive”