Indirect Fire

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.

Moderators: Vic, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

byzantine1990

Indirect Fire

Post by byzantine1990 »

I'm enjoying just about every part of this game except for how indirect fire is handled.

For example: I found two US artillery units so I wanted to hit them with my own artillery. I pick a single artillery unit and use a ranged attack. After it was done I had lost three of my guns.

I'm a fan of counterbattery fire in wargames but it doesn't make sense that if I only attack non artillery units my artillery will never be found but as soon as I attack artillery with my own then they can find my artillery with untold precision and take it out. Sometimes doing more damage than my own artillery!

Also, is there a penalty for hitting the same spot with multiple artillery units? I swear I saw something in the manual about it but only a passing sentence.
Capt Cliff

Re: Indirect Fire

Post by Capt Cliff »

Are you right clicking on the map or are you in Hex mode and selecting the ranged attack button?
Capt. Cliff
byzantine1990

Post by byzantine1990 »

Capt Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:38 pm Are you right clicking on the map or are you in Hex mode and selecting the ranged attack button?
I’m selecting my artillery that is 8 hexes away(indirect), right clicking on the enemy artillery and selecting ranged attack.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

byzantine1990 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:03 pm
Capt Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:38 pm Are you right clicking on the map or are you in Hex mode and selecting the ranged attack button?
I’m selecting my artillery that is 8 hexes away(indirect), right clicking on the enemy artillery and selecting ranged attack.
You might be conducting a direct fire mission, which is why you are taking loses! Try selecting the hex, then in the lower right select hex. A ranged attack button should be highlighted, select that and see if you get the same results.
Capt. Cliff
byzantine1990

Post by byzantine1990 »

Capt Cliff wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:10 pm
You might be conducting a direct fire mission, which is why you are taking loses! Try selecting the hex, then in the lower right select hex. A ranged attack button should be highlighted, select that and see if you get the same results.
Tried it and same deal. My artillery has zero line of sight against enemy artillery. It even has an "indirect bonus" but the enemy artillery has a 1/1 chance against me. I'm not sure how this got past the designers/play testers/players.

This means you should never use your own artillery to attack enemy artillery because they will instantly find you and fire back with precision even though they had no idea about you before getting attacked. Mysteriously, you will never have counterbattery fire against you if you attack non artillery units though.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

byzantine1990 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:56 pm
Capt Cliff wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:10 pm

Tried it and same deal. My artillery has zero line of sight against enemy artillery. It even has an "indirect bonus" but the enemy artillery has a 1/1 chance against me. I'm not sure how this got past the designers/play testers/players.

This means you should never use your own artillery to attack enemy artillery because they will instantly find you and fire back with precision even though they had no idea about you before getting attacked. Mysteriously, you will never have counterbattery fire against you if you attack non artillery units though.
What is your entrenchment value of your artillery? You also may want to use a lot of arty for your attack. But then I rarely use counterbattery fire!
Capt. Cliff

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive”