Update: WAR IN THE EAST2 IMAGE LIBRARY (2,372 images) - VER. 1.03.09

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Zovs

RE: WAR IN THE EAST2 IMAGE LIBRARY - VER. 1.0

Post by Zovs »

+1
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
cblattmann

Post by cblattmann »

Mod updated to match WITE2 v01.12.11 game release version.
dudefan

Post by dudefan »

what is the difference to Cored?
cblattmann

Post by cblattmann »

Mechanically there is no difference. It's pure aesthetics.

Like COREd I wanted sharper, better images. The reason I did my version is because I felt the image library needed to be visually along the same lines as the new images in WITE2 (like event images or scenario images which are all black and white). Secondly I wanted to play with the historical flag and branch designators for the Germans for immersion purposes. And in the process of doing it, I also wanted to find an alternative to the faded flag.

Choose whichever mod appeals visually more to you.
dudefan

Post by dudefan »

thank you for your reply and your work. Great job
Tailspintommy

Post by Tailspintommy »

Once again, proving my total ignorance of technology, I'm having problems running this mod.

I can download the files, no problem.. I can send them to my photo folder in the game, no problem.. But when I run the game I still get the original images and flags.
When I go to the file location, the new images are all there but in a separate folder which I can open and see all the new images but I can't seem to set them as the default and the game won't pick them up.
I've tried using the Generic Mod Enabler and get the same result. It says the mods are enabled but once again, the game just gives me the stock photos and flags.

I did manage to install the "Generals Map" mod, which seems to have worked fine but this great artwork has me beat.

I'm running the official release game (not a beta) with the latest patch.
Any idiots guide to explain to this idiot what he's doing wrong would be much appreciated, thanks. [&:]

P.S. If I'm going to be better off uninstalling/reinstalling the game, that's not a problem.
"Never fire a shot before coffee"
cblattmann

Post by cblattmann »

I am sorry for you running into issues. No need to reinstall the game. There shouldn’t be any sub folders in the "photo" directory, just leader, ground equipment and airplane BMP images. It is because your images are in subfolders in the "photo" directory, that the game does not see them.

I provided different folders because I wanted to give people options on what to install. The two main folders "War in the East 2 Image Library - German Colors" and "War in the East 2 Image Library - Historical Flag" are the two main base image folders.

1. Find the photo folder (“Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2\Dat\Art\photo”)
2. Delete any subfolders that are in the “photo” folder (DO NOT delete the “photo” folder itself). And no need to delete any images you have in the ‘photo’ folder.
3. Choose one of the two main base folders depending on what you want. Copy all BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - German Colors" folder into the “photo” directory (if you want to play with the black, white and red German color flag) OR copy all the BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - Historical Flag" folder into the “photo” directory (if you want to play with images that have the Historical flag). It is either or.
4. Once one set of the main base images is copied into the “Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2\Dat\Art\photo” folder, copy the BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - SS” folder into the “photo” folder if you want the leader images with the SS branch designators. Then copy the BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - Luftwaffe” folder into the “photo” folder if you want the leader images with the Luftwaffe branch designators.

This should take care of your problem. DM me if you continue to have problems.
Tailspintommy

Post by Tailspintommy »

ORIGINAL: cblattmann

I am sorry for you running into issues. No need to reinstall the game. There shouldn’t be any sub folders in the "photo" directory, just leader, ground equipment and airplane BMP images. It is because your images are in subfolders in the "photo" directory, that the game does not see them.

I provided different folders because I wanted to give people options on what to install. The two main folders "War in the East 2 Image Library - German Colors" and "War in the East 2 Image Library - Historical Flag" are the two main base image folders.

1. Find the photo folder (“Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2\Dat\Art\photo”)
2. Delete any subfolders that are in the “photo” folder (DO NOT delete the “photo” folder itself). And no need to delete any images you have in the ‘photo’ folder.
3. Choose one of the two main base folders depending on what you want. Copy all BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - German Colors" folder into the “photo” directory (if you want to play with the black, white and red German color flag) OR copy all the BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - Historical Flag" folder into the “photo” directory (if you want to play with images that have the Historical flag). It is either or.
4. Once one set of the main base images is copied into the “Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2\Dat\Art\photo” folder, copy the BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - SS” folder into the “photo” folder if you want the leader images with the SS branch designators. Then copy the BMP images in the "War in the East 2 Image Library - Luftwaffe” folder into the “photo” folder if you want the leader images with the Luftwaffe branch designators.

This should take care of your problem. DM me if you continue to have problems.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for your time and detailed explanation. This total computer Clutz has finally managed to change the photographs!

Your instructions are correct and perfectly clear but after several attempts, I could still only get the new pictures to appear within their own file within the photo folder and, as you say, the game can't see them...
My mistake (and for the benefit of anyone else as computer dense as myself) was that I was downloading the file and giving it a path to open inside the photo folder... Once I downloaded them elsewhere and COPIED them into the folder as you said, everything works perfectly.

Thank you again. I think the game looks much better with the historic flags. I know it's only cosmetic but it adds to the realism and immersion, somehow.. If only it could improve my gameplay but at least the time spent practicing will look better. [:)]
"Never fire a shot before coffee"
Haspen

Post by Haspen »

Awesome mod [&o][&o]
Thanks!!!

Works perfectly for me [:)]
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Super - many thanks
Hellway

Post by Hellway »

Hello, I like your work and play with him. Maybe an upgrade with new images from the patches I hope. Thanks and happy new year.
cblattmann

Post by cblattmann »

Working on it. Will be posted shortly.
Hellway

Post by Hellway »

Thank you so much for this and the work...[&o]
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

I think I found a photo error - ? The photo for the Pz IVD sure looks like the IVF2, with the longer KwK40 L/43 gun. That's not the short L/24 gun unless I'm greatly mistaken.

Attachments
Screenshot..2 162403.jpg
Screenshot..2 162403.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Hellway

Post by Hellway »

Aie aie aie...can't play with this...[;)]
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

[:)]Hope no criticism was inferred from my post. Just something I came across in this excellent mod that I figured I'd point out.

I actually prefer the posted photo of the IVF2 to the one chosen in the mod. But I defer to the good judgment of the modder.

EDIT: Looking more closely at the photo now, it looks like there are 'Schuerzen' skirts around the turret, so is this actually a photo of a Pz IVG, not F2?
cblattmann

Post by cblattmann »

sandman2575,

I got that image from here (https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/germ ... r_iv_ausfd). It seems to be a modified Panzer IVd. You find towards the end of that page.

Now the question is, do you think a more typical and not modified Panzer IVd picture would be better?
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

Fascinating webpage - thanks for the reference!

My suggestion would be to replace this as your mod's Pz IVD photo, because it doesn't match the game's definition for the model, i.e., the "DEVICE" information in my screenshot specifies the KwK37 L/24 gun, but the photo shows a modified IVD with the longer KwK40 L/43 gun.

To my eye, I'd say the clearest/most representative photo of the IVD is the first photo on the website you directed us to:

Attachments
QifViFz.png
QifViFz.png (623.45 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
cblattmann

Post by cblattmann »

sandman2575, I appreciate your feedback. Will include new image in my next update.
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

Thank you for this excellent mod, cblattmann.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”