DESTROYED 'DAMAGED' - Checkbox

Please post any bugs or technical issues found here for official support.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Wiedrock

DESTROYED 'DAMAGED' - Checkbox

Post by Wiedrock »

I don't know if it always has been this way but currently (.52_Beta) the "DESTROYED 'DAMAGED' - Checkbox" is simply adding the DAM-DES to the DES value once again. I feel like the Checkbox is doing the correct thing but the initial (without Checkbox checked) value is too high because DAM-DES Elements are already included.
I have no idea what the Checkbox is doing to RTR-caused DES elements since it was skyrocketing from 47 to 86 in the second battle.

Note: The overall "Ground Losses" window shows the correct numbers (so whats accounted for in the combat logs, tho I have no idea why there is that much rounding going on [50DIS <-> 47DIS][20DES <-> 19DES][22DAM <-> 21DAM] in the second battle)
Attachments
DAMAGED-DESTROYED_Checkbox_bugged.png
DAMAGED-DESTROYED_Checkbox_bugged.png (5.06 MiB) Viewed 243 times
Joel Billings

Re: DESTROYED 'DAMAGED' - Checkbox

Post by Joel Billings »

We've had this on our bug list for some time now, but Pavel hasn't had a chance to look into it. I would not trust the destroyed/damaged numbers to mean anything useful at this time.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Pavel said that the destroyed damaged should list additional hits to ground elements that had no additional impact on the ground elements. Thus the numbers are likely going to be much higher than the normal numbers. He thinks it's doing what he intended when he added it in for his own understanding. Does that make sense to you with what you are seeing? Not sure how we explained it in the manual (if we did).
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

In this Thread some time ago they came to the same result that it's showing lost elements which were never lost, so actually it just adds lost elements to the numbers which are already included in the numbers.

The Manual mentions it in 2 occasions this way:
Living Manul 1.21, p.700, Chapter 37.1.2 wrote:Selecting the ‘DESTROYED ‘DAMAGED’ option will display in parentheses the number of damaged ground elements and associated men that were subsequently destroyed as a result of the battle.
So currently that's not true as far as I can tell, since when checkboxed the losses will be higher without them actually occuring in the Combat or after or ever (from what my math tells me).

If it should show hits that were "double-hits", so hitting DAMaged elements and DEStroy them, then the number in my first battle should be either
  1. [showing 25 when unchecked -> exclusively showing 14 when checked]
  2. OR [showing 11 when unchecked -> exclusively showing 14 when checked]
  3. OR [showing 11 when unchecked -> 25 when checked]
This three versions at least would give some information one could get information out of (from my understanding). I'd prefer number 1, since it'd leave the unchecked version as it is and would give the checked version the additional information.

...or me and the other guys don't get it. :lol:
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Pavel appears to have added this feature to help him in some debugging, but what it was and what it is now may not be the same thing. Clearly the documentation is wrong. It will be much easier to just remove it than for him to try to figure out what it's doing and make it do something useful. So my vote if he ever spends time on this will be to just remove it from the display. His time has been so limited lately that even that isn't likely to happen. We all (including Pavel) hope that things in his real life will change so he has more time to work on the game again, but there's no telling when that's going to happen.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

Joel Billings wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:30 pm So my vote if he ever spends time on this will be to just remove it from the display.
Using the Checkbox in the other windows
"Ground Combat" it makes sense.
"General Info" it makes sense.
...it's just the "Ground Losses" tab which seems little messed up, so rather keep it as it is before removing ! :)

Return to “Tech Support”