Quick Questions Thread

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Der Kuenstler

Re: Quick Questions Thread

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I moved my bombers back to the National Reserve to save on supplies for the first brutal Winter. Now I'm afraid to push AI assist because I don't want the AI to move them all back. Is that what would happen?

Also, if I set all my remaining on-map air force on Hold, will the planes stay put even though I use AI assist? At this point I just want the AI make and execute directives from my chosen bases.
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Der Kuenstler wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:40 am I moved my bombers back to the National Reserve to save on supplies for the first brutal Winter. Now I'm afraid to push AI assist because I don't want the AI to move them all back. Is that what would happen?

Also, if I set all my remaining on-map air force on Hold, will the planes stay put even though I use AI assist? At this point I just want the AI make and execute directives from my chosen bases.
I'm not sure regarding AI assist sorry. Where possible try and learn the air war without AI assist. The basics are actually fairly straight forward and it doesn't take long to run recon/GS each turn. For winter, no need to send bombers to the reserve (not ideal on experienced pilots) so you can just send them to the airfields near the 4 NSS you have. If you keep the airfields within 3 hexes of the NSS, no trucks are used so its basically free supply.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Der Kuenstler wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:40 am I moved my bombers back to the National Reserve to save on supplies for the first brutal Winter. Now I'm afraid to push AI assist because I don't want the AI to move them all back. Is that what would happen?

Good advice, Veterin - I'll try that instead next time!

I'm still curious - anybody know the answers to the two questions above?
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The hold option should keep the air units from moving to different bases. As for bringing units out of reserve, you can lower the priority of the high level AOG, but that might impact your fighters as well as your bombers. I can't think of any way you can make sure that no bombers come out of the reserve.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Joel Billings wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:11 pm The hold option should keep the air units from moving to different bases. As for bringing units out of reserve, you can lower the priority of the high level AOG, but that might impact your fighters as well as your bombers. I can't think of any way you can make sure that no bombers come out of the reserve.
OK thank you Joel!

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Metalist

Post by Metalist »

Hi all. Now, in order to isolate Leningrad in the situation you can see below I have to pick one of the options listed (after I severe the land connection between Leningrad and rest of the USSR of course):

a) Take Osinovets
b) Take the ports connected to lake Ladoga, namely Kobona, Novaya Ladoga and Syasstroy.
c) Use Luftwaffe?

Could you elaborate on c if that is a viable option at all, and point out if anything is wrong or missing in a or b?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
1775550_20230402013340_1.png
1775550_20230402013340_1.png (3.33 MiB) Viewed 1035 times
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Metalist wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:49 pm Hi all. Now, in order to isolate Leningrad in the situation you can see below I have to pick one of the options listed (after I severe the land connection between Leningrad and rest of the USSR of course):

a) Take Osinovets
b) Take the ports connected to lake Ladoga, namely Kobona, Novaya Ladoga and Syasstroy.
c) Use Luftwaffe?

Could you elaborate on c if that is a viable option at all, and point out if anything is wrong or missing in a or b?

Thanks in advance!
All 3 options work. Option C is viable as i've done it as axis and have had it done to me as soviets too. A few things you'll need
- decent supply at your airfields. consider increasing Luffwaffe 1 supply priority above the ground forces for it
- Naval patrol across a few hexes blocking Osinoverts port. You need to run it through both your turn and opponent turn. use level bombers and fit them out with naval mines
- Run air superiority over lake ladoga. you need this to defend your bombers as well as intercept soviet fighters on the way to attacking your bombers.
- multi turn effort if the soviets know what they're doing but you have enough bombers/fighters to make it happen. Ideally try and fly over axis controlled land and avoid the soviet AA flak
Metalist

Post by Metalist »

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, Veterin!

Soon North Africa theater will be closed. Do I have to manually pull back forces that are not destined automatically to leave for other theaters? I am afraid they are gonna disappear or something.
exalted

Post by exalted »

For the North Africa
You will loose most of the ground forces, most will be rebuilt in reserve.

Air will fair better.

I'd certainly not have anything in North Africa that I don't want to loose. Manning it up with Italian forces while pulling out german ones are a good trick.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I have TB control on. This is my Norway theater box. In the main tab it is saying I am low on ground units, so I want to send some AA. But look - there is AA in both ground and air. How do I send it to just the ground part where it is needed? (Air already has a surplus.)

box.jpg
box.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 978 times

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The flak will get counted into both the ground and air calculations.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Joel Billings wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:31 pm The flak will get counted into both the ground and air calculations.
Got it - thank you!

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

Dear Wargamers,

another quick question. In the Theater Boxes (Reserve Box) there is the option to turn Refit On/Off.

As you can see in the image, the term "Refit Off" is a bit ambiguous. Does it state the currently active state, or is it a switch? Do be more precise:
In the above case does "Refit Off" mean the Refit is currently off for the 89th Flak Regiment or does a click on "Refit off" turn the Refit off?

I hope you get what I mean.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

It shows the current state, so if it lists Refit Off, then clicking on it would turn refit on.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

Thank you very much. Appreciate it. I needed the information for the upcoming stream on sunday, as it will be a very important turn for me ;-) (T13 close to Moscow)

BTW: Your game does not only fascinate me, but also a really big crowd of regular viewers. 200 user on average for such a hardcore wargame is not that bad :-)
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Glad to hear it, thanks.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

In the combat results window, sometimes it shows the halt distance of the attacker when the defense holds. But sometimes it doesn't, as in the comparison below:

halt.jpg
halt.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 762 times

What does it mean when no halt distance is shown?

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Der Kuenstler wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:20 am In the combat results window, sometimes it shows the halt distance of the attacker when the defense holds. But sometimes it doesn't, as in the comparison below:

halt.jpg

What does it mean when no halt distance is shown?
It means that combat continued until the close combat phase. Attacks have a chance of halting (or converting to scouting attack) if the CV ratio is unfavourable early on in combat.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Veterin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:26 am It means that combat continued until the close combat phase. Attacks have a chance of halting (or converting to scouting attack) if the CV ratio is unfavourable early on in combat.
So they made it all the way into the foxholes, then - interesting!

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

If I build a Fortified zone and attach 3 SUs to it, what happens if it gets attacked and surrenders? will the SUs be lost?

If so, is it better to attach the SUs to a combat unit defending with the Fortified zone so if they have to retreat, the SUs go with them?

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”