Quick Questions Thread

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

exalted

Re: Quick Questions Thread

Post by exalted »

Vermin wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:23 pm Production screen example:
#- M3/M5 ar:need
This means the element (M3/M5) is no longer in production, but will be produced "as needed"?

Since some items start the game already out of production, why do some of them also start with ar:need for production rates?

Is it about repairing items?

Regards
Vermin
You'll see that many very common elements are ar:need at least as germans.

Ar:need is more of a produced on demand thing I think, if you need it it will be produced, if you have the resources for it.

Some ar:need things are unlikely to be produced at all like german siege artillery so presumably there is some algorithm controlling it.
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

Vermin wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:23 pm Production screen example:
#- M3/M5 ar:need
This means the element (M3/M5) is no longer in production, but will be produced "as needed"?
Translations:
#- ABC ar:need
The ABC has been produced at a rate of 'as needed' per week.
ABC ar:need
The ABC is being produced at a rate of 'as needed' per week.
**- ABC ar:need
The ABC will be produced at a rate of 'as needed' per week.

The Production-Window is more of a Production report of all times, not just your current situation.

Vermin wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:23 pm Since some items start the game already out of production, why do some of them also start with ar:need for production rates?
The Production Dates/numbers are set to be historical dates/values. Wether an item shows a "need" or a "-" is a single value being changed from "-1" to "0" in the Vehicles Data. Why they chose to sometimes use the "-1" (need) for "#"-equipment and sometimes the "0" for showing the "-" is something I can only make assumtions about.

Some Vehicles though will note be produced at all! They will "arrive/spawn" with newly created Units (e.g. Marder I ....and many more of those "srtange" German creations), those are presented as "** ABC -", then "ABC -" and then "# ABC -".

Vermin wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:23 pm Is it about repairing items?
AFAIK There is no relationship between production itself and repair-chances. Only things that are "Scapped" may not longer be repaired (but then their status changes if they are still inside of units being used...), though I am not sure about this, you can see wether you can come to an conclusion to this looking at several Panzer I and Panzer II models which will/may be scrapped in ~1941-1942.

exalted wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:58 am Some ar:need things are unlikely to be produced at all like german siege artillery so presumably there is some algorithm controlling it.
Indeed, no idea how the big gun numbers are impacted.
Production has a rate/week, lowest you can input is 1, so producting Siege artillery that has been produced like 6 pieces in 4 years is hard to model. From what I've seen those/some heavy Guns will "Spawn in" as mentioned before. ...why they are showing "need" instead of simply a "-", no idea why they chose to do it that way.
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

Is this message/messages in this part of the window logged somewhere?
Attachments
logs.JPG
logs.JPG (23.81 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Jango32

Post by Jango32 »

Logistics report.
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Wiedrock wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:29 pm Is this message/messages in this part of the window logged somewhere?
It's a bit of a red herring though. Pretty sure most of the times it's not an actual deposit but rather just a city in the hex.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I think you get the message whenever there is a depot, but the depot may be empty.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Jango32

Post by Jango32 »

Joel Billings wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:44 am I think you get the message whenever there is a depot, but the depot may be empty.
There's been a bug introduced since around the artillery patches that makes it so pretty much every time a named hex is captured the depot message shows up and is logged.
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

Topic Lock HQ Support

I searched for some time and read some threads, but I can`t find the answer to this question.

Is it possible to just lock a few SU units to a specific Korps? I know the Lock Option in the Gamepreferences, buit with this checked all SU units are locked. I am quite satified with my AI-Generals shuffling the SUs around. But some unit I would like to micromanage and lock them there where I need them most. Best case for this is the siege artillery. I want them to stay at City XY as long I am attacking there.

A answer to this is very appreciated.
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

AbeMuc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:26 am Topic Lock HQ Support

I searched for some time and read some threads, but I can`t find the answer to this question.

Is it possible to just lock a few SU units to a specific Korps? I know the Lock Option in the Gamepreferences, buit with this checked all SU units are locked. I am quite satified with my AI-Generals shuffling the SUs around. But some unit I would like to micromanage and lock them there where I need them most. Best case for this is the siege artillery. I want them to stay at City XY as long I am attacking there.

A answer to this is very appreciated.
You can lock them to a specific HQ but not an area like you wanted.

Go to the "Commanders Report" then click on "HQs". This will list out all your HQs. Find the HQ you want to lock and you'll see a column called "SupL". Click on it and type -1. This changes it to "Lck" and SU's wont move out of that HQ unless you want it to move.
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

Veterin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:34 am
You can lock them to a specific HQ but not an area like you wanted.

Go to the "Commanders Report" then click on "HQs". This will list out all your HQs. Find the HQ you want to lock and you'll see a column called "SupL". Click on it and type -1. This changes it to "Lck" and SU's wont move out of that HQ unless you want it to move.
Thank you very much. That was excatly the information I was looking for. That will help for sure!
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

If I move a bunch of air groups around to my liking, how do I use Air Assist without it moving the planes around again? I just want it to plan some missions, not move the planes.
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Der Kuenstler wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:04 pm If I move a bunch of air groups around to my liking, how do I use Air Assist without it moving the planes around again? I just want it to plan some missions, not move the planes.
Not sure sorry but i would suggest playing around with setting up your own missions. The basics don't take long. GS is automatic so long as you have the basic AD set up and that's the most important use. Recon is very easy to set up and you can easily keep the AD and move it along the frontline each turn as appropriate.
Teo41_ITA

Post by Teo41_ITA »

In the manual transfer of AOGs, what does the "Rng #" mean, when selecting the "destination" Air Command?
Range.png
Range.png (2.9 MiB) Viewed 921 times
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Looks like Rng is the number of hexes to the center of gravity of that air command.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

Dear Wargamers,

as I dive deeper and deeper into the game new questions came up.

First. Could someone explain to me what these numbers acually mean:

Next to the engineer symbol is a the number 50. I am aware that engineers help reducing fort levels a lot, but I can`t find the specifics about that number. Most of the time I get 10.

Second: How do you guys handle AA in cities. I really need to defend some key railroad junctions and railyards, like Smolensk, against air raids. Do you add AA-Batallions or even AA-Regiments? Especially regiments. Do you take them from cities deep into the Reich like Munich? Or do you take AA-Batallions from the onmap Armies and Korps?

Thanks in advance for helping me there!
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

AbeMuc wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:16 am First. Could someone explain to me what these numbers acually mean:

Next to the engineer symbol is a the number 50. I am aware that engineers help reducing fort levels a lot, but I can`t find the specifics about that number. Most of the time I get 10.
We can't see your image, but I am sure you mean the "engineer-logo" with a ": number" nearby.
See Chapter 20.3.3 and following 20.4 in the manual, hope you'll find your answer there.

Edit: wrote 23.3.3, meant 20.3.3 ....
Additional a nice screen showing the divisor.
dh_engineer.png
dh_engineer.png (243.89 KiB) Viewed 751 times
If I understood it right the manual states that each Fortification level can go 10% above its limit and additional each fort level acts as a divisior for engineer effectiveness.
Note that the numbers in the Combat windows are heavily rounded. We can add all EngineerCV's to 12+9+9+13=43 -> Fort level is 3 (or 3.1 because of the possibly 10% above Level 3). If we divide 43 by 3.1 we get 13.87 which may be the ": 13" shown in the picture. I am not 100% sure but that's how I understood it. I currently have no clue how this "13" which in real CV is a 130 would affect a Fortification since I have no idea how many "HP" a Fortification-Level has. :roll: :?:
Metalist

Post by Metalist »

In StB scenario Army Group B is destined to go to Italy. However I am reluctant to this as I need CPs. Would keeping it on the map cause any trouble? When I bring HQs from theater boxes they have a very slight effect on ground requirement, but not sending an army group feels like it should cause some negative effects in the relevant theater box.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

We strongly suggest that players allow scheduled HQ transfers to take place. We intended to add in the impact of HQs into the TB values, but AFAIK we never got around to doing that. So I don't think there's any penalty for not having the HQs in the TBs. Thus, we suggest players agree not to change HQ transfers even if playing with enhanced control.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I am playing with enhanced TB control on. What can I do to get more help into Italy's theater box if it is short under the naval category like this?
pic.png
pic.png (119.88 KiB) Viewed 682 times
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Der Kuenstler wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:46 pm I am playing with enhanced TB control on. What can I do to get more help into Italy's theater box if it is short under the naval category like this?

pic.png
Naval patrol or recon aircraft (it’s not clear from the description that recon impacts naval CV but it does).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”