Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 is out now

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Light4bettor

RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 is out now

Post by Light4bettor »

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

[
Quick Review in return

Good buy IFyou don't already own the original WITE, otherwise similar to Paradox game remakes and more pricey, (but at least they didn't dumb down the game play like Paradox has done in their recent remakes.) Game mechanics pretty much the same as the original WITE with a few internal alterations, even the graphics appear to only be slightly altered from the original WITE. (They could have at least brought the graphics up to match the well known graphics mod for the original WITE.) As an owner of the original WITE, I'm gonna pass on this unless they offer a substantial discount (50% or more) for owning the previous version.

So if you didn't buy the game, how did you find the info to review it?
I can't imagine reviewing something that I have not played extensively myself. This is a significantly different game than WitE1 sir.
Sigwolfe

Post by Sigwolfe »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

No, the 10% launch discount is the only discount we plan to offer.

Thx for the quick response.

Quick Review in return

Good buy IFyou don't already own the original WITE, otherwise similar to Paradox game remakes and more pricey, (but at least they didn't dumb down the game play like Paradox has done in their recent remakes.) Game mechanics pretty much the same as the original WITE with a few internal alterations, even the graphics appear to only be slightly altered from the original WITE. (They could have at least brought the graphics up to match the well known graphics mod for the original WITE.) As an owner of the original WITE, I'm gonna pass on this unless they offer a substantial discount (50% or more) for owning the previous version.
I think you enlarged the wrong word in your review. You clearly think it would be a good buy if YOU didn't already own the original WitE. Please don't speak for other WitE owners, because plenty of them, myself included, think this version is clearly worth buying again at the offered price. It is not at all similar to Paradox remakes (and their respective 80+ or so DLC's with each), nor is a simple graphics "new coat of paint". It's got a hugely updated engine underneath, which is where it matters in this type of game, a large number of new game mechanics, and the GUI has been improved in many ways.

It may not be worth it for you, and that's fine, but don't try to frame this as some simple cash grab, especially with no first hand experience with this version. If you play it and still believe that, then that's a whole different debate. Right now you're just making baseless claims due to your own expectations.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: Light4bettor

<snip>

So if you didn't buy the game, how did you find the info to review it?
I can't imagine reviewing something that I have not played extensively myself. This is a significantly different game than WitE1 sir.

ORIGINAL: Sigwolfe

<snip>

It may not be worth it for you, and that's fine, but don't try to frame this as some simple cash grab, especially with no first hand experience with this version. If you play it and still believe that, then that's a whole different debate. Right now you're just making baseless claims due to your own expectations.

Actually, I spent about a dozen hours or so watching a half dozen or more YouTube Let's Play and reviews before reluctantly forming my opinion and I'll stand by it even though I've been anticipating it's release for months. After years of buying literally dozens of games since the early 80s and being frequently disappointed, I no longer make the mistake of knee jerk buying any game unless I feel it's worth the price. I even stated that it actually WAS worth the price for any one that didn't have the original game. I just don't feel that there is enough there (especially in the graphics or outstanding new/different game mechanics) to justify upgrading from the original WITE at the FULL new price they're asking for.

edit> Attached is a small example of the original WITE with graphics mod that I was referring to above. The least they could have done is used a similar color scheme instead of the same old tired and rather bland scheme of the original.

Attachments
WITE v1.07..hics mod.jpg
WITE v1.07..hics mod.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

No, the 10% launch discount is the only discount we plan to offer.

Thx for the quick response.

Quick Review in return

WITE was developed and released 10 years ago and fully supported with free updates for many years. WITE2 started development after WITE was released. 10 years of development have gone into it, 5 in parallel with WITE support and WITW development, 5 dedicated only to WITE2. How many other instances can you name where a 10 year old game is the basis for a 50% discount on a new game? Yes, this is on the same subject, by the same team and it's a sequel to the original, but it is far more than a fresh coat of paint.

You need only look here and at the various official AARs to get a better idea of everything that was put into WITE2 to elevate it significantly above WITE:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4992061

You don't own the game, this is not a review. You are certainly justified in making your own decision with your own gaming dollars, but seeking to misinform others is disappointing.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
kennonlightfoot

Re: Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 is out now

Post by kennonlightfoot »

Just an observation.
Why are you charging $20 to add a hard copy manual and CD, then charging $40 to ship it?
I was going to purchase with manual until I saw the shipping charge. $40 to ship something that should cost less than $10 by First Class mail, come on.
Kennon
homer82

Post by homer82 »

kennonlightfoot wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:25 am Just an observation.
Why are you charging $20 to add a hard copy manual and CD, then charging $40 to ship it?
I was going to purchase with manual until I saw the shipping charge. $40 to ship something that should cost less than $10 by First Class mail, come on.
I thought the exact same thing until I realized it ships from the UK. I hemmed and hawed back and forth between $40 for shipping and the consistently positive reviews until I finally pulled the trigger and did it. The manual is worth every penny!
SCPO USN (Ret.)
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

UK must have some hefty fees. I've ordered much heavier items from Australia and China for half the price.
Kennon

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”