Next update info and looking for a few good testers

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Joel Billings

Re: Next update info and looking for a few good testers

Post by Joel Billings »

The Soviet player can build a limited number of guards airborne divisions in the game (max in game is 19 in 1943). We don't pretend to cover every possible historical combination or mutation of units. We do what we can, but trying to cover everything becomes programmatically more difficult than it's worth.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
RedBunny

Post by RedBunny »

Yeah, I'd rather see you guys spending dev time improving the game rather than trying for cover every fragment of OB esoterica people dig up.
K62

Post by K62 »

Could someone share when this closed beta version of the game is planned to transition to a public beta? An opponent of mine is testing the closed beta, and I'm looking forward to upgrading so we can continue our VtB game. Thank you!
"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak" - John Adams
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

K62 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:51 pm Could someone share when this closed beta version of the game is planned to transition to a public beta? An opponent of mine is testing the closed beta, and I'm looking forward to upgrading so we can continue our VtB game. Thank you!
Not backwards compatible to earlier versions. But probably awhile since lacking testers it looks like.
Last edited by HardLuckYetAgain on Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

If things continue checking out in testing, it’s likely to be released as a beta to the public in early August.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ranknfile

Post by ranknfile »

Sounds good! Looking forward to the reduced Combat Delay.
I also think freight being destroyed with air raids is a great improvement as well.
This great game just keeps getting better.
ErickRepie

Post by ErickRepie »

Unit's command limits of corps should taken into account that brigade/breakdown division unit should be calculated as 0.33 or 0.5 unit -- not whole 1 unit -- in order not to exceed the unit quota of each korps (9-10 units per corp).
I hope this issue will be fix in the next patch.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

This was a design decision. We wanted to slightly discourage players from breaking down units to simulate the issues of sending sub units off in different directions. It's part of the game, so we aren't planning on changing this. Players can work around it by reassigning units to other HQs as needed, although with some minor penalty in the turn of reassignment.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
ErickRepie

Post by ErickRepie »

Joel Billings wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:20 pm This was a design decision. We wanted to slightly discourage players from breaking down units to simulate the issues of sending sub units off in different directions. It's part of the game, so we aren't planning on changing this. Players can work around it by reassigning units to other HQs as needed, although with some minor penalty in the turn of reassignment.
Ah.. i see the real intention .... totally agree on that.
Nazcatraz

Post by Nazcatraz »

So Extended Play mode allows campaigns to continue beyond May 1945? The game would just continue forever even if Berlin is taken for the Soviets or all Victory Points in the USSR captured for the Axis?
dankhippos

Post by dankhippos »

Nazcatraz wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:29 pm So Extended Play mode allows campaigns to continue beyond May 1945? The game would just continue forever even if Berlin is taken for the Soviets or all Victory Points in the USSR captured for the Axis?
No, game is still going to end in 1945.
o EXTENDED PLAY - If the game ends due to Sudden Victory/Sudden Loss/31 December 1944 High Water Mark check, the game will pause. The victory screen will appear with the victory level displayed, and the player will be able to enter extended play and continue the game. Each player will see the victory screen at the start of their turn one time, and be able to continue the game. When the campaign ends due to Belin falling or time expiring, the game will display the same victory level displayed at the start of extended play.
Nazcatraz

Post by Nazcatraz »

dankhippos wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:06 am
Nazcatraz wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:29 pm So Extended Play mode allows campaigns to continue beyond May 1945? The game would just continue forever even if Berlin is taken for the Soviets or all Victory Points in the USSR captured for the Axis?
No, game is still going to end in 1945.
o EXTENDED PLAY - If the game ends due to Sudden Victory/Sudden Loss/31 December 1944 High Water Mark check, the game will pause. The victory screen will appear with the victory level displayed, and the player will be able to enter extended play and continue the game. Each player will see the victory screen at the start of their turn one time, and be able to continue the game. When the campaign ends due to Belin falling or time expiring, the game will display the same victory level displayed at the start of extended play.
So the differences between No Early End and Extended Play is just the victory screen popping up when reaching 1945?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

With no early end, the game never looks at the victory points. The game goes until time runs out or Berlin falls, and victory is determined on when/if Berlin fell. With Extended Play, the game determines victory using all the early end conditions, but after victory is declared, it allows players to continue playing. The victory level will not change, but players can play out the campaign to the fall of Berlin or the end date. This was something many players asked for because even in the No Early End scenarios, the game could end at the 1 Jan 45 victory check. Players wanted to be able to continue playing out the game to the end. And even those willing to use the early end victory conditions (which we think are important to modify player behavior in the early game), players wanted to go all the way to Berlin.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Nazcatraz

Post by Nazcatraz »

Joel Billings wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:08 pm With no early end, the game never looks at the victory points. The game goes until time runs out or Berlin falls, and victory is determined on when/if Berlin fell. With Extended Play, the game determines victory using all the early end conditions, but after victory is declared, it allows players to continue playing. The victory level will not change, but players can play out the campaign to the fall of Berlin or the end date. This was something many players asked for because even in the No Early End scenarios, the game could end at the 1 Jan 45 victory check. Players wanted to be able to continue playing out the game to the end. And even those willing to use the early end victory conditions (which we think are important to modify player behavior in the early game), players wanted to go all the way to Berlin.
This sounds great! Back in early 2023 my 1943 campaign ended as soon as it reach 1945 because I prevented the Soviets from reaching Germany and how I wished I could have continued until May 1945. With these new game options I will definitely play another 1943 campaign as the Axis trying to defend. So stoked & can't wait for the beta to roll out on Steam!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”