Quick Questions Thread

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Der Kuenstler

Re: Quick Questions Thread

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I tried to create my first manual ground attack - I have lines coming in and out, I have 3 air groups assigned, but why is the description box red and why does it show zero planes?

Gnd att.jpg
Gnd att.jpg (134.45 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

Der Kuenstler wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:20 pm I have 3 air groups assigned, but why is the description box red and why does it show zero planes?
There may be several reasons to this. You have to look your AD setup window (the one where you define the AGs/AOGs/Ceiling and so on. There down at the bottom you have several Checkboxes, one says something like "show air Groups" and one something like "show 'no fly' info". If you check them and dive into the red written notes appearing you should be able to see why noone wants to fly. Additional there all available/in range AGs will be having white letters, while all out of range/unavailable will be shown with some grey'ish letters.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Wiedrock wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:33 pm
Der Kuenstler wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:20 pm I have 3 air groups assigned, but why is the description box red and why does it show zero planes?
There may be several reasons to this. You have to look your AD setup window (the one where you define the AGs/AOGs/Ceiling and so on. There down at the bottom you have several Checkboxes, one says something like "show air Groups" and one something like "show 'no fly' info". If you check them and dive into the red written notes appearing you should be able to see why noone wants to fly. Additional there all available/in range AGs will be having white letters, while all out of range/unavailable will be shown with some grey'ish letters.
OK I'll look - thanks!
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
S1man

Post by S1man »

How do you make Ground Attack targeted at Railyards work, is there any special requirement? I create air directive with Target Priority only set for Railyard yet for some Railyards it doesnt work while it does work for others. Example is in Velikie Luki scenario, turn 1 if I set target hex as 201, 129 (Velikie Luki, City) it works, but if I set at 199, 129 (Novosokolniki, Light Forest) it does not (range and weather allows, any other targeting works for same hex and air group selection), is it implied that Railyards are only bombable when placed in cities?
RudiDutschke

Post by RudiDutschke »

I play Soviet Union for the first time: "Stalingrad to Berlin Campaign". What I dont get: some Air Armys cant "recon", even though there is very good weather. F.e. the 8th Air Army with 288 Fighter Bomber, 165 Tac Bombers, 51 Lvl Bombers and 10 Transports. The 16th Air Army right next to it, is able to fly recon, they have also fighter bombers, tac bombers, lvl bombers and additionally 8 Pe-2R (recon aircrafts). But this cant be difference??

Problem: i use the AI to control the Soviet Air, because I am not experienced about their aircrafts.

Can you help me out?
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

RudiDutschke wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 pm I play Soviet Union for the first time: "Stalingrad to Berlin Campaign". What I dont get: some Air Armys cant "recon", even though there is very good weather. F.e. the 8th Air Army with 288 Fighter Bomber, 165 Tac Bombers, 51 Lvl Bombers and 10 Transports. The 16th Air Army right next to it, is able to fly recon, they have also fighter bombers, tac bombers, lvl bombers and additionally 8 Pe-2R (recon aircrafts). But this cant be difference??

Problem: i use the AI to control the Soviet Air, because I am not experienced about their aircrafts.

Can you help me out?
For RECon Misions you need RECon planes, so yes those few RECon planes make the difference in this regard.
Recon is observing the ground from high altitudes with high accuracy, therefore you need specialized equipment/cameras/planes to do so.
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

S1man wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:36 pm How do you make Ground Attack targeted at Railyards work, is there any special requirement? I create air directive with Target Priority only set for Railyard yet for some Railyards it doesnt work while it does work for others. Example is in Velikie Luki scenario, turn 1 if I set target hex as 201, 129 (Velikie Luki, City) it works, but if I set at 199, 129 (Novosokolniki, Light Forest) it does not (range and weather allows, any other targeting works for same hex and air group selection), is it implied that Railyards are only bombable when placed in cities?
The purple shows how to access this"view mode" and gives an bigger example.
The green shows that small "lvl 1" Railyards can also be damaged.
Sadly this "+8% damage/effect values" are not being shown anyhwere explicitly, I've created a bug report concerning this.
Attachments
Railyard_damage_assessment.png
Railyard_damage_assessment.png (970.23 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Why don't I have an option to send these planes to the map from my reserve? They've been sitting here for three turns.
reserve.jpg
reserve.jpg (101.7 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Stamb

Post by Stamb »

you have to right click on an airbase on the map and add them to an existing AOGs or deploy them with a new AOGs

you can't transfer them from the reserve in a similar way as sending to other TBs
Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Ahah - thank you Stamb...

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
S1man

Post by S1man »

Wiedrock wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:19 pm The purple shows how to access this"view mode" and gives an bigger example.
The green shows that small "lvl 1" Railyards can also be damaged.
Sadly this "+8% damage/effect values" are not being shown anyhwere explicitly, I've created a bug report concerning this.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough: no flights are even commenced. When they did I clearly saw +%% damage on Railyard done in battle window. I fiddled more around and made following observations:

1) Railyard target priority for Ground Attack ignores Railyard of level 1.
2) Railyard target priority for Strategic Bombing works against Railyard of level 1, but you have to keep in mind that you can not assign one-engine planes to that directory (like IL-2s).

This is pretty weird as Ground Attack being more tactical in a sense can not target a smaller target while Strategic Bombing can, probably it should be vice versa in regards to whether it allows targeting of lvl1 Railyard.

Observing results of railyard depot (both level 1 and level2) bombing in both cases I did not see any damage to freight or trucks based at such depots. This made me really upset as striking enemy depots to destroy ammo/fuel storages is something I would really like to see in a serious wargame. I tried all kinds of air attacks on city/depot hex to try notice any kind of damage, even when depot gets >90% damaged all freight and trucks are completely intact, is there any way to damage those?
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

S1man wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:41 pm When they did I clearly saw +%% damage on Railyard done in battle window.
Yes, my Client appears to just had some hickups not showing any of those "+X%" values, so nvm concerning this.
S1man wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:41 pm 1) Railyard target priority for Ground Attack ignores Railyard of level 1.
This is a good finding! You may ask this specific case/Question in the "Tech Support" section so it may be doublechecked wether it's developed this way or it may be bugged.
I can confirm that in GC'41 Ground Attack ADs are not doing any missions against Railyard-1s as can be seen here (that's 115 Missions against the same 'Railyard 2' (down at the bottom)):
take-that.png
take-that.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1425 times
S1man wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:41 pm Observing results of railyard depot (both level 1 and level2) bombing in both cases I did not see any damage to freight or trucks based at such depots. This made me really upset as striking enemy depots to destroy ammo/fuel storages is something I would really like to see in a serious wargame. I tried all kinds of air attacks on city/depot hex to try notice any kind of damage, even when depot gets >90% damaged all freight and trucks are completely intact, is there any way to damage those?
1. You have to differentiate between DEPOT and a Railyard. The Railyard somehow defines the max Capacity of a Depot indeed, but once Freight has entered a Depot it can't be affected by Railyard damage (afaik ...correct me if I am wrong).
2. Since there are 1 week turns, the Damage you do to a Railyard affects the Logistics of the enemy during his next Logistics Phase.
3. The Freigth in Depots needs to be delivered to Units, this happens in 3-hex range by horses (which eat = use freight) and further away by Trucks. During this deliveries the Trucks take damage/get destroyed/need repair and lose freight! This losses can be increased by "Interdiction missions" by increasing the MPs cost for Hexes around the Depot through Interdiction (I don't know what happens with Interdiction in the Depots Hex). The whole Interdiction Topic is a story on it's own.

The Ammo/Fuel/Freight losses you are looking for may be the ones in the blue area , there you see that Freigth has been lost on the way to the Unit. Often Trucks of the Units itself will be used to deliver freight as well (upper blue area), where you then can directly track the Units lost Trucks in the 'Attrition' Collumn).
Then there is the Logistics report where you can also see lost Trucks (not sure it that's the Sum of all lost Trucks or just the Depots-Organic Trucks).
Unit_Supply.png
Unit_Supply.png (552.81 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
So from what I know you can impact the freigth received by the Depot, you can impact the freight on it's way to the Units but you can not blow up the Depots using HIMARS. :mrgreen:
S1man

Post by S1man »

Wiedrock wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:57 pm 1. You have to differentiate between DEPOT and a Railyard. The Railyard somehow defines the max Capacity of a Depot indeed, but once Freight has entered a Depot it can't be affected by Railyard damage (afaik ...correct me if I am wrong).
Oh good point, I though that Railyard is a type of Depot but apparently Rail Depot and Railyard are different entities. Then I guess not being able to strike on logi hubs comes down to not beign able to target/damage Rail Depots...
Wiedrock wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:57 pm 2. Since there are 1 week turns, the Damage you do to a Railyard affects the Logistics of the enemy during his next Logistics Phase.
Wiedrock wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:57 pm The Ammo/Fuel/Freight losses you are looking for may be the ones in the blue area , there you see that Freigth has been lost on the way to the Unit. Often Trucks of the Units itself will be used to deliver freight as well (upper blue area), where you then can directly track the Units lost Trucks in the 'Attrition' Collumn).
Then there is the Logistics report where you can also see lost Trucks (not sure it that's the Sum of all lost Trucks or just the Depots-Organic Trucks).
Unit_Supply.png
So from what I know you can impact the freigth received by the Depot, you can impact the freight on it's way to the Units but you can not blow up the Depots using HIMARS. :mrgreen:
That is a good hint about unit Supply Details, didnt see that screen, I was using Logistics Report and for my testing I was advancing turn and checking it with both sides controlled by player so checking other side logistical report (that you also hinted to) - and there was no actual Freight/Trucks loss related to Railway/Rail Depot hex (@volume of ~400 sorties of 2000 lb load):

- Ground Attack (Unit);
- Ground Attack (Railway);
- Ground Attack (Railyard);
- Ground Attack (Interdiction) - worth mentioning that with ~400 sorties I was only able to bring it to level 2, so could be happening at higher levels;
- Strategic Bombing (Railyard) - it was the only working priority

As I mentioned above I used Logistics Phase Report (Freight) and Losses screens for the faction that was bombed on their following turn (so after their logistical phase) to check if there was any Manpower, Freight or Truck damage done and I could not see anything related to those ~400 sorties which made me beleive that it is either unfeasible to target supply convoys/depots or I am just doing something wrong.
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

S1man wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:03 pm That is a good hint about unit Supply Details, didnt see that screen, I was using Logistics Report and for my testing I was advancing turn and checking it with both sides controlled by player so checking other side logistical report (that you also hinted to)
There are many information you can get from different windows/parts of the UI, you just need to figure out which information you get where, that may take a while. The Commanders Report as an example is one source of information I have often overlooked at the start.
S1man wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:03 pm and there was no actual Freight/Trucks loss related to Railway/Rail Depot hex (@volume of ~400 sorties of 2000 lb load):

- Ground Attack (Unit);
- Ground Attack (Railway);
- Ground Attack (Railyard);
- Ground Attack (Interdiction) - worth mentioning that with ~400 sorties I was only able to bring it to level 2, so could be happening at higher levels;
- Strategic Bombing (Railyard) - it was the only working priority

As I mentioned above I used Logistics Phase Report (Freight) and Losses screens for the faction that was bombed on their following turn (so after their logistical phase) to check if there was any Manpower, Freight or Truck damage done and I could not see anything related to those ~400 sorties which made me beleive that it is either unfeasible to target supply convoys/depots or I am just doing something wrong.
Sometimes you will encounter counter-intuitive results (comparing experiences from other games and own historical knowledge) for different missions, sometimes it has historical background, somtimes it's bugged in some way. Then one has to see how different bomb-loadouts behave in the same mission and so on. As an example, if you bomb like 1k Sorties with 28x50kg in Ground Attack UNIT you will most likely only get like 50Men killed or so (even if they are fortified I feel that's not realistic, especcially thinking about cannons being bombed, but thats just my opinion), so thats one of the somwhat weird results where you can just change to a bigger bomb to pass the "damage to kill tresholds" (I just arbitrarily name it like that).

And as already said, Interdiction is a somewhat special case and topic on its own (far from being a "quick question" :lol: ), IIRC the manual states that many small bombs should be used for this mission.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Why didn't my Reserves arrive by this Reserve arrival hex I selected? It's on German territory, it's about 40 hexes away from enemy territory, but my nine divisions just appeared instead all the way to the West by Berlin... :( :(

hex.jpg
hex.jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 1360 times

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Der Kuenstler wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:18 am Why didn't my Reserves arrive by this Reserve arrival hex I selected? It's on German territory, it's about 40 hexes away from enemy territory, but my nine divisions just appeared instead all the way to the West by Berlin... :( :(

hex.jpg
Did they come from the actual Reserve or did it come from another TB? If it's sent from another TB onto the map, it arrives at the border of the TB rather than the targeted hex you select
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Veterin wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:16 am
Der Kuenstler wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:18 am Why didn't my Reserves arrive by this Reserve arrival hex I selected? It's on German territory, it's about 40 hexes away from enemy territory, but my nine divisions just appeared instead all the way to the West by Berlin... :( :(

hex.jpg
Did they come from the actual Reserve or did it come from another TB? If it's sent from another TB onto the map, it arrives at the border of the TB rather than the targeted hex you select
Come to think of it they came from Western Europe - thanks for solving the mystery, Veterin!

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

Dear Wargamers,

again some quick questions from an unexperienced, bit completely hooked player.

1. I often read about transfering units back to reserve or just further back to get them in better shape or don`t get hit by the harsh winter rules. For example back to the german borders or move newly arrived divisions from Berlin to the front.
But how do you move them? By normal march? This would take approxiamtely 3-4 turns to get them back and 3-4 turns again for the return to the front. And of course adds fatigue and lowers CCP. Movement by rail on the other hand strains the fragile rail system in 1941. More than 1 division seems not practical for me.

2. Just to be sure as this is my first playthrough of the campaign and Leningrad is one of my key goals in 1941.

Do I have to block the railline from Terifoki (NW of Leningrad)? to get Leningrad isolated?
Am I right with my assumption that I either have to conquer Osimovets or the last remaining export harbour in Svasstroy to isolate Leningrad?
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

And I forgot one question. A quite unusual I guess. Is it somehow possible to "change" a running 1941 normal campaign to "No early end"? I know it is not possible on the fly via the game itself. Maybe some editing in the save game? I hope there is. The reason: I am recording and streaming the campaign every sunday and will release the Lets Play later this year.

But for now it looks like it is possible for me to score the 700 pts as Axis if not on turn 16 then on turn 29. And yes, I am a bit megalomaniac right now (T12) :shock: :roll: . I definitely got carried away by the initial turns. And yes, Rasputiza and winter are coming. But nonetheless. Right now the LP is 60 episodes and a Unternehmen Barbarossa Campaign without proper winter 41/42 is not Unternehmen Barbarossa and I, and the viewers, don`t want to end early on...

A single spark of hope?
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

AbeMuc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:40 am Dear Wargamers,

again some quick questions from an unexperienced, bit completely hooked player.

1. I often read about transfering units back to reserve or just further back to get them in better shape or don`t get hit by the harsh winter rules. For example back to the german borders or move newly arrived divisions from Berlin to the front.
But how do you move them? By normal march? This would take approxiamtely 3-4 turns to get them back and 3-4 turns again for the return to the front. And of course adds fatigue and lowers CCP. Movement by rail on the other hand strains the fragile rail system in 1941. More than 1 division seems not practical for me.

2. Just to be sure as this is my first playthrough of the campaign and Leningrad is one of my key goals in 1941.

Do I have to block the railline from Terifoki (NW of Leningrad)? to get Leningrad isolated?
Am I right with my assumption that I either have to conquer Osimovets or the last remaining export harbour in Svasstroy to isolate Leningrad?
Great to hear you're enjoying the game. There are a lot of different viewpoints on this but here's my 2 cents

1) as with many things "it depends". As soviets, no issues transferring to and from reserve other than trying to keep as many units on map as possible. For axis in 41, you really can't afford to send units to the reserve early unless they're completely destroyed. You have to make do with them (even if lower TOE) until you can refit them close to the frontline. For the first winter, it's highly recommended sending panzers (or any AFV's) to France and pulling out infantry on map. They simply explode with any movement let alone combat. From late feb 42, i start to bring ~3 panzers on per map so by the time they arrive late feb through to early april i can rail them to the frontline. The axis logistic penalty is removed after the end of mar 42 and makes railing units a lot more feasable. Panzers are heavy and take up something like 10k freight when transporting by rail so you can really only move 3-4 per turn assuming they're going to different areas of the frontline.

2) Based on your current map there's a few ways to isolate Leningrad
- naval patrols on lake ladoga
- capture osinovets
- capture all the port cities east of lake ladoga (looks like you already have most)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”