Vietnam

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Big Ivan

Re: Vietnam

Post by Big Ivan »

berto wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:26 am On This Day

4 February, 1967

The VC attacked the Long Binh Post ammunition supply point, destroying at least 15,000 high explosive 155 mm artillery projectiles.

Vietnam20230204.jpg
15,000!! 155mm Arty Shells!! WOW that had to leave a big hole!!
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Ongoing operations today in 1966:

28 Jan.-15 Feb.
Operation MALLET begins. The 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division will conduct a search and destroy operation between Nhon Trach and Binh Son in Bien Hoa Province. The Vietcong D800 Battalion has been reported in the area.

28 Jan.-17 Feb.
Operation DOUBLE EAGLE /LIEN KET 22 kicks off. Task Force Delta, consisting of 2/4, 3/1, 2/9 Marines and the SLF BLT 2/3, will join the 4th ARVN Regiment (2nd Division) in this operation. BLT 3/1 from the Philippines and BLT 2/4 from the Chu Lai TAOR will conduct an amphibious assault over RED Beach north of Duc Pho in Quang Ngai Province and then the combined forces will sweep the area of operations between Mo Duc, Ba To and Tam Quan, coordinating with allied forces from Operation MASHER in Binh Dinh Province.

3-9 Feb.
Operation QUICK KICK IV, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy 6 miles NE of Phuoc Vinh.

3-15 Feb.
Operation TARO LEAF, 2d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division search and destroy in Hau Nghia Province 15miles NW of Saigon

4-9 Feb.
Operation ROUNDHOUSE/3-66, 173d Airborne,
1RAR search and destroy in the Phuoc Loc area, eastern Binh Duong and northern Bien Hoa Provinces, 21 km N of Bien Hoa air base.

4-10 Feb.
Operation MASHER, renamed WHITE WING by demand of the White House, continues. The 2d Brigade, 1st Cavalry will join the 3d to sweep the An Lao Valley northwest on Bong Son. Marines from DOUBLE EAGLE will block from the north while the 40th ARVN Regiment (22d Division) will block the valley's southern exit. According to intel the valley is harboring the HQ of the 3rd PAVN Division

New Operations today in 1966:

5-8 Feb.
The 3d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division is alerted to conduct its first search & destroy operation, named Operation TAYLOR. The Brigade will move to the Plei Mrong CIDG Camp with two battalions (1/14, 2/35) and search the Krong Bolah Valley to the northwest where an NVA battalion has been reported.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

Good Morning, Vietnam !!!
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Good morning Vietnam!

Coming in at number 5 in Feb 1967

I thought love was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me
Love was out to get me
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all of my dreams

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind
I'm in love
I'm a believer, I couldn't leave her if I tried

I thought love was more or less a giving thing
Seems the more I gave the less I got
What's the use in tryin'
All you get is pain?
When I needed sunshine, I got rain

I'm in love

Oh

Oh, love was out to get me
Now, that's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all of my dreams

I'm in love

Yes, I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Said, I'm a believer, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (I'm a believer)
Said, I'm a believer, yeah (I'm a believer)
I said, I'm a believer, yeah (I'm a believer)
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

6 February, 1965

The VC's Radio Liberation announced that the VC had shot two American prisoners of war as reprisals against the Vietnamese government, which had sentenced two VC to death.

Vietnam20230206.jpg
Vietnam20230206.jpg (243.82 KiB) Viewed 548 times
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Good morning Vietnam!

Hitting the charts at 127 on 2/6/65

You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips
And there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips
You're trying hard not to show it
But baby, baby I know it

You lost that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
Now it's gone, gone, gone, whoa-oh

Now there's no welcome look in your eyes when I reach for you
And now you're starting to criticize little things I do
It makes me just feel like crying
'Cause baby, something beautiful's dyin'

Now it's gone, gone, gone, whoa-oh

Baby, baby, I'd get down on my knees for you
If you would only love me like you used to do, yeah
We had a love, a love, a love you don't find everyday
So don't, don't, don't, don't let it slip away

Baby, baby, baby, baby
I beg you please, please, please, please
I need your love, need your love
I need your love, I need your love
So bring it on back, so bring it on back

Bring it on back, bring it on back
Bring back that lovin' feelin'
'Cause it's gone, gone, gone
And I can't go on, whoa-oh

'Cause it's gone, gone, gone
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

28 Jan.-15 Feb.
Operation MALLET begins. The 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division will conduct a search and destroy operation between Nhon Trach and Binh Son in Bien Hoa Province. The Vietcong D800 Battalion has been reported in the area.

28 Jan.-17 Feb.
Operation DOUBLE EAGLE /LIEN KET 22 kicks off. Task Force Delta, consisting of 2/4, 3/1, 2/9 Marines and the SLF BLT 2/3, will join the 4th ARVN Regiment (2nd Division) in this operation. BLT 3/1 from the Philippines and BLT 2/4 from the Chu Lai TAOR will conduct an amphibious assault over RED Beach north of Duc Pho in Quang Ngai Province and then the combined forces will sweep the area of operations between Mo Duc, Ba To and Tam Quan, coordinating with allied forces from Operation MASHER in Binh Dinh Province.

3-9 Feb.
Operation QUICK KICK IV, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy 6 miles NE of Phuoc Vinh.

3-15 Feb.
Operation TARO LEAF, 2d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division search and destroy in Hau Nghia Province 15miles NW of Saigon

4-9 Feb.
1RAR search and destroy in the Phuoc Loc area, eastern Binh Duong and northern Bien Hoa Provinces, 21 km N of Bien Hoa air base.

4-10 Feb.
Operation MASHER, renamed WHITE WING by demand of the White House, continues. The 2d Brigade, 1st Cavalry will join the 3d to sweep the An Lao Valley northwest on Bong Son. Marines from DOUBLE EAGLE will block from the north while the 40th ARVN Regiment (22d Division) will block the valley's southern exit. According to intel the valley is harboring the HQ of the 3rd PAVN Division

5-8 Feb.
The 3d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division is alerted to conduct its first search & destroy operation, named Operation TAYLOR. The Brigade will move to the Plei Mrong CIDG Camp with two battalions (1/14, 2/35) and search the Krong Bolah Valley to the northwest where an NVA battalion has been reported.

None
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

7 February, 1965

The VC attacked Camp Holloway near Pleiku killing eight Americans, wounding 128, destroying 10 U.S. aircraft and damaging a further 15. McGeorge Bundy (visiting South Vietnam) and General Westmoreland visited Pleiku that day. Bundy strongly recommended a reprisal attack against North Vietnam.  Bundy reported to Johnson "The situation in Vietnam is deteriorating and without new U.S. action defeat appears inevitable--probably not in a matter of weeks or perhaps even months, but within the next year or so.... There is still time to turn it around, but not much."

In retaliation, President Johnson ordered Operation Flaming Dart: 49 retaliatory sorties by American and Republic of Vietnam Air Force (RVNAF) planes targeted PAVN bases near Đồng Hới; a second wave targeted VC logistics and communications near the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). Among the pilots was Air Marshal Kỳ. Poor weather limited the damage caused by the strikes. One plane and its pilot were lost.

The Premier of the Soviet Union, Alexei Kosygin, was visiting Hanoi during the bombing. The Soviets were furious that an American attack was carried out while Kosygin was present and motivated to provide additional assistance to North Vietnam.

Bundy sent a memorandum to President Johnson advocating "a new US action" without which "defeat seems inevitable." Bundy said that "any negotiated US withdrawal today would mean surrender on the installment plan."

Vietnam20230207.jpg
Vietnam20230207.jpg (243.21 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

28 Jan.-15 Feb.

28 Jan.-17 Feb.

3-9 Feb.

3-15 Feb.

4-9 Feb.

4-10 Feb.

5-8 Feb.

7-11 Feb.
Operation ROAD RUNNER VI, 3d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division road clearing and security along Highway 13, Binh Duong Province.

7-16 Feb.
Operation TAUT BOW, 3d Mar Recon Bn reconnaissance in force in Happy Valley, Quang Nam Province.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

8 February, 1962

MACV was created to support and assist South Vietnam in defeating the VC insurgency. MAAG continued to exist, but only to train Vietnam's armed forces. General Paul D. Harkins, recommended by President Kennedy's military adviser, General Maxwell Taylor, was named MACV commander. Harkins and his staff had little or no counterinsurgency experience.  Moreover, the counterinsurgency effort lacked a "single directing authority" and a "continuing, authoritative interagency oversight." The MACV commander did not have control of the entire counterinsurgency effort and MACV "labored under complex command relationships and had to thread its way through intractable interservice conflicts over fine points of organization, staffing, and doctrine. MACV commander Harkins reported to CINCPAC Chief, Admiral Felt who kept MACV "on a tight rein."

Vietnam20230208.jpg
Vietnam20230208.jpg (167.4 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

28 Jan.-15 Feb.

28 Jan.-17 Feb.

3-9 Feb.

3-15 Feb.

4-9 Feb.

4-10 Feb.

5-8 Feb.

7-11 Feb.
Operation ROAD RUNNER VI, 3d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division road clearing and security along Highway 13, Binh Duong Province.

7-16 Feb.
Operation TAUT BOW, 3d Mar Recon Bn reconnaissance in force in Happy Valley, Quang Nam Province.

8-9 Feb.
Operation BALD EAGLE, 3d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division security in III CTZ
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Good morning Vietnam!

Todays top #1 song in 1966 was ...

My love is warmer than the warmest sunshine, softer than a sigh
My love is deeper than the deepest ocean, wider than the sky
My love is brighter than the brightest star that shines every night above
And there is nothing in this world that can ever change my love

Something happened to my heart the day that I met you
Something that I never felt before
You are always on my mind no matter what I do
And everyday it seems that I want you more

Once I thought that love was meant for anyone else but me
Once I thought you'd never come my way
Now it only goes to show how wrong we all can be
For now I have to tell you everyday

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

By Petula Clark
berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

9 February, 1965

As bombing of North Vietnam continued, the People's Republic of China issued a statement that "We warn U.S. imperialism: You are overreaching yourselves in trying to extend the war with your small forces in Indochina, Southeast Asia, and the Far East. To be frank, we are waiting for you in battle array." On the same day, U.S. National Security Adviser McGeorge Bundy told Senator Mike Mansfield that the Johnson administration "was willing to run the risk of a war with China" if an invasion of North Vietnam was deemed necessary.

The U.S. Embassy in Moscow was attacked by a mob of about 3,000 Asian and Russian students who were protesting against the American bombing of North Vietnam. Two reporters, Adam Clymer of the Baltimore Sun and Bernard Ullman of the Agence-France news agency, were injured, and more than 200 windows in the building were shattered before Moscow police intervened.

Vietnam20230209.jpg
Vietnam20230209.jpg (175.52 KiB) Viewed 424 times
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

10 February, 1965

VC sappers blew up a hotel used as an enlisted men's barracks in Qui Nhơn, killing 23 U.S. soldiers, two VC sappers and seven civilians.

Vietnam20230210.jpg
Vietnam20230210.jpg (194.07 KiB) Viewed 390 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

28 Jan.-15 Feb.

28 Jan.-17 Feb.

3-15 Feb.

4-10 Feb.

7-11 Feb.

7-16 Feb.

9-21 Feb.
Operation KAMEHAMEHA III, 3d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division route security on Highway 19, Pleiku Province.

None

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”