Any plans for Steam release?

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

JeecaCoona

Any plans for Steam release?

Post by JeecaCoona »

Hello,

I would love to buy this game but I always prefer Steam versions.

Are there any plans for it ?
Jason Petho

Re: Any plans for Steam release?

Post by Jason Petho »

We have hopes, but that is up to Slitherine.
alwaysdime

Post by alwaysdime »

I don't see it happening. I hoped Middle East would be on Steam but it wasn't. Bottom line is I think Slitherine views this title as a loss rather than a success. I say that because there is no budget for this game. Slitherine has $0 invested in the game so why spend money on a Steam release.

I don't think that view is fair but it is what it is.
berto

Post by berto »

alwaysdime wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:59 pm I don't see it happening. I hoped Middle East would be on Steam but it wasn't. Bottom line is I think Slitherine views this title as a loss rather than a success. I say that because there is no budget for this game. Slitherine has $0 invested in the game so why spend money on a Steam release.

Not a success? An unheralded game that has remained perched steadfastly in the Matrix (and less often the Slitherine) What's HOT list(s) in the four months since first release. Thus far, we are not disappointed with sales.

The main issue delaying/preventing Steam release is maybe that the game is perceived -- unfairly -- as being "ugly" with an old-fashioned, "clunky" UI. The Steam crowd might trash us mercilessly for that.

On the other hand, we think the game is handsome enough (different aesthetic; we are not much into cartoony, Toy Story, "plastic green army men" graphics). The UI is no-nonsense, business-like, gets the job done if you have patience to learn it.

Not to say things can't be improved; they can. But Rome Wasn't Built in a Day. And everything comes at a time cost. The more time and effort we devote to UI/UX improvements, the less time/effort we have to devote to game play improvements, new content, etc.

The Campaign Series games offer so many different display options and customizations and graphics modes and ... -- we have a very long rope for people to hang us with. (For instance, some people might trash the 3D unit graphics, while ignoring: (a) How many games offer robust implementations of both 2D and 3D? How many games offer dozens and dozens of distinct terrain types? How many games offer customized 3D unit graphics numbering in the thousands? How many games offer more than 450 NATO icons? And so on.) We offer so much that if you go looking for something to dislike, you are sure to find it.

We might be deemed Steam "worthy" some day. But until then, we all enjoy the immersive and deep game play; the unusual, off the beaten path topics covered; etc.
Last edited by berto on Tue May 17, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
JeecaCoona

Post by JeecaCoona »

I strongly dissagree that steam users will perceive it negatively because of graphics.

I think there is a strong movement of even retro pixelated graphics right atm.

Anyway - people that will search for such games like Campaign Series are focused on other things and will not use Steam for "search and decide" but more like "I know what I want and I'm usign steam just to buy it"
JWW

Post by JWW »

"Retro" is a good marketing idea for Steam though. There indeed a crowd in Steam that hates old looking graphics but loves retro graphics, if that makes sense. I've had this game all set to play but have gotten involved in some other activities at the moment but will get to this game.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

The biggest thing is that if you want it on Steam, let Matrix/Slitherine know.

Maybe if enough people put the bug in their ear, they'll do something about it.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

alwaysdime wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:59 pm I don't see it happening. I hoped Middle East would be on Steam but it wasn't. Bottom line is I think Slitherine views this title as a loss rather than a success. I say that because there is no budget for this game. Slitherine has $0 invested in the game so why spend money on a Steam release.

Having discussed this and that with other devs under Slitherine, I don't believe that's how it plays out, exactly. They are a Publisher, and to take an example from the world of book publishers, there are those best selling authors who receive payments / are paid to indeed write a book, or even, a series of books. Then there are those authors who write their books on their own, and the publisher then publishes them. CS Legion as a "dev studio" would be on the latter camp, and not alone there either. It is a fair model per se.

As for Steam release, I quite prefer Steam for many reasons, how the games are updated automatically in the background for one.

As for letting Slitherine know you all would love to see Campaign Series in the Steam, do it! I would just love it, too!
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
z1812

Post by z1812 »

I would like to see it on steam as well.
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

berto wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:50 pm
Not a success? An unheralded game that has remained perched steadfastly in the Matrix (and less often the Slitherine) What's HOT list(s) in the four months since first release. Thus far, we are not disappointed with sales.

The main issue delaying/preventing Steam release is maybe that the game is perceived -- unfairly -- as being "ugly" with an old-fashioned, "clunky" UI. The Steam crowd might trash us mercilessly for that.

On the other hand, we think the game is handsome enough (different aesthetic; we are not much into cartoony, Toy Story, "plastic green army men" graphics). The UI is no-nonsense, business-like, gets the job done if you have patience to learn it.

Not to say things can't be improved; they can.
Your UI is not very different from the WDS Tiller-based games. Very similar IMO, which is a good thing. It's utilitarian, clean, and provides all the tools for playing your turn. It's fine. What I like about WDS' is that it can be made bigger, and it's on top of the screen, which I like more than Vietnam's, but those are minor things. If you all improve the unit info bar I'd be happy.
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
berto

Post by berto »

Not sure what you mean by "can be made bigger". You do know that the Toolbar comes in two sizes, something you can set in Options > Toolbar > Standard/Large, right?

Anyway, happy to know that, in general, the UI works well enough for you.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”